An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should doctors & nurses be drug tested?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by JoanMcWench, Apr 26, 2015.

1. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

This is undoubtedly true. There is an immediate availability to those in the medical field to a wide array of prescription drugs. This is especially true of anyone with the immediate access to the prescription pad. Well today, I guess this is anyone in the office. After all the prescription pad is now either a call to the pharmacy or an electronic copy of the doctors signature. This makes it very easy for doctors, and anyone at the doctors office to just write a prescription for themselves.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

No one's singling out the medical profession but, if you're perceptive enough, you'd understand that my response is only following the context or premise that was already set by the thread starter. There's no reason to drag other careers here because the question only asked about doctors and nurses, who belong to the medical field, and whether they should be drug-tested. Should I mention all careers? Please don't start unnecessary arguments. Of course everyone can be drug-tested. What's up with saying doctors and nurses should be drug-tested too? And have you ever heard of the term medico-legal? I need you should expose yourself to medico-legal issues to have a good grasp of what I'm saying.
  3. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I think they already are drug tested. At least in my country they are, and they should be anywhere. Our medical system sucks, but this is one of the good things. You can't treat patients while you fight with (serious) health issues too! I am so pissed on people who do this, there was some case in the news when a nurse was drunk and left the patient without surveillance and she got out of the hospital and died outside in the cold!
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

5. nicolejasmine

nicolejasmine Member

I believe random drug testing would be beneficial in the medical field. I know we are tested right now in nursing school. I think that you're absolutely right; medical professionals have a very high risk of becoming prescription medication abusers. I've always wondered how many have abused some kind of medication by prescribing it to themselves.

They have a huge job and people's lives are at risk in their field. Therefore, they should be tested.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Nurse Jackie. The TV series she is a drug addict. Yes drug test them. The pharmacist should be drug tested too. I don't why worry about these things. Who's in charge anymore? The drugged up doctor or nurse that takes your blood with a needle. Diagnoses disease or illness, high, whatever. It makes sense to drug test them, but they don't. Cause they are like God these people. Anything that makes sense doesn't usually became a norm with places like big companies or hospitals. Common sense is not in their text books.
  7. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I think this could be not so big of a deal to them because they are around this stuff everyday. We have a tendency to see all of the side affects on the commercials but they sometimes look at this as something to fix what is hurting. Meds to them are a quick fix. They in most cases feel that if a person takes this or that, they will be better.
  8. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I believe they should. As an addict I come in contact with many different people. There are functioning addicts everywhere. But that doesn't mean it's safe for them to a lot of things. Everyone who has a job where peoples lives are hang in the balance should be drug tested.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There's an argument that any employee in any industry should be drug tested but surely that a whole other debate we can have.

The OP concentrated on people in healthcare, so in this instance that's primarily what people have been commenting on.
  10. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I've personally never heard of any hospital testing their staff for drugs but it is definitely something to be considered. Especially given the fact that they have easy access to those drugs whether they work in a hospital or a clinic. Most doctors are obviously qualified people that you wouldn't expect to be doing such a thing like taking drugs but for the sake and safety of that hospital's patients, a monthly routine check should definitely be a must.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know if I'm correct but I think they already do that. If they don't I think they should. It would be difficult to test for prescription drugs because there legal along with marijuana in some states. Still I wouldn't want my life in the hands of someone stoned at work. No one should be high at work in this profession.
  12. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I think they should be tested, especially if they are showing some signs of addiction. I don’t know have any of you watched Mercy Street on TV, but they had a doctor on the series who was addicted to Morphine. He was an excellent doctor but it got to the point when he was trying to operate and his hands were shaking. So I would hate for a doctor to be working on me and can’t perform due to a drug dependency. :oops: