An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should Drug Users Be Jailed?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by deewanna, Jun 29, 2015.

1. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

I would like us to understand the difference between a drug users and traffikers. In most case however, a drug traffiker is also an addict. I would love to have different opinions on this. Is it right to see drug users as criminals or should they seen as people who need help?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If a drug user has in his possession any controlled substance then though it is a minor offense they could be fined or fined and sent to jail. Many times though when police arrest someone who had drugs it'll be assumed that they intended to sell the drugs. Such an offense is more serious than the former and one can get up to ten years in prison.

Since even a a pusher-addict may try to pass himself off as nothing more than an addict and making a distinction between the two can't be easy, I suppose they prefer to get such people out circulation for a longer period of time which is why someone who is just an addict could get up to 6 years in the slammer.

I don't think addicts should be arrested though unless the intention is to rehabilitate them and release them once they've overcome their addictions.
  3. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

The difference between the two could be thin and intriguing but should not be confused. A drug addict is a victim for all legal purposes. A drug trafficker is a criminal with evil intentions of making mounds of money through illegal means.

A drug addict can only buy an illicit drug in minute quantities for personal consumption or among a peer group. A drug trafficker or a drug lord, ships huge quantities of an illicit drug for personal gains at the expense of public health.
  4. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

My view of a criminal is more towards the end where it is seen that this individual is causing harm to others. A drug abuser is causing harm to no one directly but himself in most cases. So, I would not necessarily brand a drug abuser as a criminal but he or she may engage in criminal activities in order to gain access to their drugs and in taking certain drugs it is an infringement of the laws of the land. Predominantly they are just individuals who needed help and I would seek to get them rehabilitated and not necessarily imprisoned firstly.
  5. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I think its fine to put those who traffic and sell in jail. Jails all need to have some type of drug treatment program going though. Even if it's just NA meetings, something to provide a way for anyone who uses to access some sort of help.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It's a good question. Drug users are the customer and the traffickers are in with cultivating, manufacturing, distribution, and sales of drugs. Both can certainly end up being involved with one or the other. If it is illegal drugs that obviously is considered criminal. There is a vicious circle within this that makes the whole thing like a vortex that is all about money and addiction. If the economy is bad or people need to make more money. Selling drugs can generate a ton fast. Government and big bankers are involved in trafficking the drugs on big scales. They make money off of people being addicted to the drugs. Users get addicted and are considered criminals when caught. Dealers that get caught get arrested. Bank of America & Wells Fargo was caught funding Mexican drug cartel. It was about $378 billion. Guess what? They will just pay some fines for that. $160 million in fines. Some people did get arrested but the banks just got the fines. Is that criminal? Users when caught can they just pay a fine? I don't know. A little discrimination going on I guess.
    Well I think it should be one or the other. If it is illegal, make it illegal across the board. Otherwise legalize it across the board. This will not happen though because the fact that it is illegal keeps the demand high. It is all about money.