An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should drunk drivers get the death penalty?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by letitherobe, Jun 22, 2015.

1. letitherobe

letitherobe Member

To me, I think they probably should.

They get behind the wheel knowing they endanger themselves and everyone on the road. So yes, when they hit and kill someone, they should be death penalty charged
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't believe that ANYBODY should receive the death penalty.

However, drunk drivers certainly deserve jail time and I do think that they should receive a lifetime ban from driving.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

I think they need to go to jail for a very long time if they've been in an accident, and if anyone died from that accident. I don't think they need to be on death row (because I really don't believe in the death sentence) but I think they need to have harsher consequences for people that choose to drink and drive. People shouldn't be given a slap on the wrist for drinking and driving. There is a woman here that has been pulled over for DUI's at least 50 times and they keep giving her short sentences and taking away her license, that's not gonna stop her from driving drunk and killing innocent people. Hehe sorry baby for my rant
  4. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

I think the penalties for DUI should be harsher but death sentence is excessive! Death sentence should be reserved for truly horrible people like mass murders, rapists and terrorists.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

i think if people drive drunk and then kill a kid that they should die for that cause it was an inocent kid they killed and for them to live it aint justice.

now if they injured the kid they could get life imprisonment so they could pay back for what they did and maybe even think of what they did.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I think if they have killed someone then the courts should sentence life imprisonment. I have seen the affects of this situation. And let me tell you, it's terrible
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Supporting the death penalty is kind of inhumane and it makes us no different from the criminals themselves (unless this is ISIS we're talking about). If drinking under the influence led drivers to commit homicide through reckless imprudence, then two crimes will be counted: DUI and homicide. I think it's more appropriate to let the offenders serve life imprisonment instead and it's up to the court to bestow parole.
  8. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Yes, I believe they should get the death penalty. People need to understand the vehicle is a weapon.

Drunk driving is the same as a drunk person waving a gun or knife around. There is a REASON drunk driving is illegal.

The moment a person does it, they put everyone else at risk.

You know, for the person saying supporting the death penalty is inhumane, try saying that when some drunk driver takes away someone's life that you might know and love.

I don't "like" the idea of the death penalty either. But why should the person be allowed to have a life sentence, where the tax payers (you and me and others) have to pay for their bed, their food, hell prisoners even get cable now.
  9. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

No, definitely not. I believe that death penalty is only for homicides with a clear motive behind them. Drunk drivers are only drivers that happen to have drunk a little too much, and they don't mean to kill anyone by accident—unless they do it on purpose, which classifies them as a murderer and is a whole new story.
    Drunk drivers should not be given the death penalty at all, and if there is ever a trial for such a thing, it will also probably not result in a death penalty. They might be jailed for a couple of months and get their driver's license disqualified and have the take tests again, but they definitely do not deserve the death penalty.
  10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Are you serious?!? I don't even understand how you could even reason that a person who makes a stupid mistake deserves to die. Even good people make mistakes and most would feel really bad about taking a life. A drunk driving accident is still an accident. It is not malicious and it is not intentional. I don't drink and drive and I don't condone it, but to say someone who does should be put to death is absolutely ludicrous.
  11. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

If they kill then they should be brought up on 1st degree murder charges, they intended to drink and drive knowing that they could kill someone
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm not sure that anybody should get the death penalty to be honest, there's been too many cases recently that people have been locked up in jail for ten years only for it to turn out they was innocent all along. If they had been given the death penalty, and then found out to be innocent, where would we go from there?

I do think that DUI should be charged the same as every other crime though. While I'm not sure that a murder charge fits, I wouldn't have thought anybody gets into a car drunk purposely intending to kill, but manslaughter should definitely be one of the charges brought against them.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Definitely not! I'm really against locking up persons in jail from nature, and killing them because of this specific aspect, implying that killing is even ethical, shouldn't be done. I completely disagree!

But yeah, if they kill someone unintentionally then it's another kettle of fish, but I'm sure that we could find something else to punish them with.
  14. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I don't think that anyone should get the death penalty. Jail would be better. If they are killed who knows what happens to them next, will they suffer or will they not? You do not know. In jail, the person can just there and think about what they did. Killing in general shouldn't be a choice anyways because the death penalty is just like murder but legal. There really is no difference. Who are we to take a life for such an act?
  15. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

If you're the type that gets off on revenge, than sure, kill em. Otherwise, simply not letting them drive and subjecting them to drug tests to prove they don't drink anymore will solve the problem.
  16. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Back in my younger, angrier and less enlightened years, I believed that drunk drivers who kill people on the roads should get the death penalty. Now that I'm older and hopefully a little wiser, there's absolutely no way that I'd wish the death penalty on anyone. All life is sacred and we should be helping drunk drivers to mend their ways. Still, drunk drivers need to punished according to the law as the death penalty is not the solution.
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

What the hell? No, obviously not. If they drove under the influence of alcohol, they were unconscious. Also, no one should receive the death penalty, even if they did something horrible. Let them rot in prison, death is saving them. Let them suffer.
  18. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Actually no one has the right to endanger the lives of others. But a death penalty is asking for too much. A death penalty is given to an individual for his malicious and harmful intent and not for the crime in itself. Of course, the severity of the crime can still determine the quantum of punishment. Nevertheless, a death penalty is not justified. Instead, a rigorous imprisonment must be handed out if the offender kills people.
  19. This is sorta where I'm at. I just can't get behind the death penalty at all. Even for extremely bad criminals, I think a life sentence is more humane and punishes people more.

I don't know if I'd go for an automatic life ban from driving because I think people make mistakes but I do think the penalties ought to be really harsh. You should definitely lose your license and have to retest for it. It's just so irresponsible and dangerous that it calls into question the rest of your driving habits.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to give them the death penalty, but they should be severely punished, in my opinion. I mean, they're out there putting a lot of lives in danger.