An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should I be Concerned

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Dinofossil, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

My friend is a sixteen year old I have known since he was four. One day, I found him smoking his friend's e-cig and begging me not to tell his parents. Can e-cigs become addicting, or are they safer for minors than traditional tobacco?
  2. LifeOrDeath

LifeOrDeath Member

To be honest, e-cigs shouldn't cause much concern. Although there aren't very many researches done on their long-term effects, they are definitely safer than traditional tobaccos. Find out if your friend is smoking one with nicotine. If not, then don't become too worried about it. They are just vaporizer juices with flavours and nothing more.

A lot of teenagers are now smoking e-cigs. They are just going through a phase. Peer pressure and curiosity are two main factors. But it's BY FAR better than smoking a cigarette.
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

If he is begging you not to tell his parents he knows he shouldn't be doing it. I don't know much about e-cigs so I don't know if it is harmful or addictive, but I would probably just have a casual chat about it, ask him why he is doing it if he is so concerned about his parents finding out. Kids make mistakes and try things sometimes but helping them learn to think about the consequences of their actions without putting them down or insulting their intelligence can make a big difference in their lives.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Dancing Lady is right. It's OK to be concerned.

Since the kid was imploring you not tell his parents then maybe he was just experimenting. Or he'd done it before. Either way it doesn't matter. You've got him by the throat and can coax him to provide you with the information you need to work with — how long he's been trying e-cigs, what other drugs he's tried using and so on. And then if he's willing you can advice and help him get over the bad habit because it's still early enough for him to quit cold turkey and not have to battle withdrawal syndrome.
  5. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

Thank you all for the advice and information. I plan on taking to my friend today, and I hope he will listen to me.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think e cigs can definitely be addictive, but I don't think it's by that much more than your average vice like junk food or TV. Just try to talk to him and I would recommend not betraying his trust just so he would at least have someone to talk to and would listen to for advice.