An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should I go back on Suboxone?.

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Jai50, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

I'm struggling. Should I go back on Suboxone? I been clean a few yrs I'm miserable unmotivated depressed. I see a therapist for PDSD and a few other problems. I was on Suboxone for 3yrs awhile back insurance stopped paying, I couldn't afford it. I didn't know that detox from Suboxone was ruff. I will take a heroin/benzo detox over it. At the time rehabs didn't have the resources or know how to treat someone detoxing off Suboxone. I relapsed.
    If I stay in the program I'm in now my Dr said I would have no problem being on it longer term. I abused opiates/heroin a real long time it did some real damage.

Any advice would be great my tablet has been messing up real bad I may already sent this message
    Dominica likes this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

From what I have seen and taking into consideration the fact your still struggling and it really got to you a few month's ago from what i've read based on your old screen name and with the knowledge that after extended exposure in your case if i remember correctly 30 year's and based on someone i know who has similar use time at some point the internal organs do not function properly without some sort of opiate but only a trained professional can make that determination but if that's the case i think it maybe the way to go in your situation.I am not telling you to or suggesting you go back on Suboxone just because but if you are under a Dr's care in a treatment facility and they think it's best and if you think it will help you than i am for it.I hope and pray which ever way you go you weigh all the pro's and con's before you make your decision and beyond that i wish you nothing but the very best.Stay Strong and God Bless Take Care
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

If it were me, I would try to get treatment for the depression and see if that helped. After being clean a few years, I don't think I'd want to go back on any opiate, even Suboxone. Even if it was under a doctor's supervision. That said, if that's the only thing that's going to keep you from relapsing, then I guess it's the lesser of two evils. Tough decision. And one you'll have to make after doing some careful thinking, @Jai50.
    Josh111187, Dominica and True concern like this.
  4. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Thank you
  5. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Thanks for ur input. I only became a member on this sight a few weeks ago and yall been a big help. I had some technical problems with a tablet had to choose another screen name when i was longing on. Jai50 I'm sticking with.
    This is also the first time I've been on a forum or chat room ever. It's becoming my therapy.

I have a lot to live for and I didn't want to keep going on the path I been on. I also don't like were I am now no path. Most of my friends I used to hang with are dead OD. I lost one of my best friend this past Christmas. I feel if I woulda helped him more he won't have died alone like he did. I just couldn't be around him and the people he had in is life or I woulda easily gone back out.

I'm been in therapy for a little over a year. I also am in a DBT class. It helps get me out arnd people.
    I hope people reading this that haven't been on opiats as long as I would really think about letting it go Cuz it only causes so many hidden problems long term.
    Josh111187, True concern and deanokat like this.
  6. deanokat

I'm glad you found us and are benefiting from this forum, @Jai50. We're so happy you're here!

I'm also very sorry for the loss of your friend. Please don't feel any guilt over that, okay? You were doing what you had to do to say clean, and that's the most important thing.

Good for you for being in therapy and DBT class, too. You're working to help and better yourself, and that's a wonderful thing.

Sending you tons of positivity today!
    Josh111187 and True concern like this.
  7. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Thank you. I felt so good today I did a bunch of yard work. I haven't been this active in a long time. I been real lazy theses past few months. So sore got poison Ivy

I was in group with a nurse one time she was recovering from opiates. She said her detox wasn't that bad. She said it was because she worked out everyday. She was a functioning addict. She had a bad knee wanted to keep working but she was in a lot of pain. I believe she caught it before it took over her life.

Anyway I guess positive thought worked. I worked hard today feel better
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Been doing a lot of thinking and I discussed it with my therapist a psychiatrist, well a almost psychiatrist she was very young and just someone that prescribes what she's told to. I did try what she gave me. It made me feel worse.
    All of the drs told me I should go back on suboxne. I still voice my concerns and the detox I went thru years ago. It was very bad. I don't ever want to go thru it again. I also can't go on like this anymore. I see the Dr tomorrow

Thank you
  9. True concern

@Jai50 i am thrilled to hear about your day it makes me happy,sorry about the poison ivy i hope you have some cream for that.Maybe you don't need Suboxone at this point maybe you just needed to share your feelings to get them off your chest i know i share alot on this site that isn't always substance related but it helps me to keep pushing forward i need to share often because i am always trying to figure thing's out in my head and it overwhelms me often but i type it and read the feedback and it helps just to get someone else's thoughts on my issue's as my best thinking has let me down alot so i am now much more willing to listen to someone else's take and i have to admit it is absolutely helping.Stay Strong and God Bless Take Care
    deanokat likes this.
  10. deanokat

Good for you for doing some yard work, @Jai50! Physical activity is a great thing for everyone, especially people working on recovery. It's great to get those endorphins flowing in your body! Sorry about the poison ivy, though!

Glad you're seeing the doctor, tomorrow. Be totally honest and ask them what they think is best.

Let us know how it goes, okay?
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  11. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

So, you have experience with coming off of Suboxone and wonder should you go back? After multiple years of sobriety? Hmmmm.....
    Talk to your doctor and tell him you think something else has gotta help. Having said that though, if you've searched every where for a different medication or way to cope, like to the ends of the earch and bottom of the ocean kinda seach, then you know from experience that subs do indeed temporarily help with depression and motivation quite well. So does dope for that matter, (do not do dope).
    I hope and pray that you weigh all of your options your in my prayers. God bless.
  12. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Yes I did detox off suboxne like 6 yrs ago. I was on it for 3 yrs. Things were going pretty good. I was in a recovery center for a yr. They recommended I go on suboxne there because of my long time opiate abuse. They said 4 yrs plus. Insurance wouldn't cover for longer than a yr. With the right Dr and follow the rules u can be on it long term.

At that time rehab didn't know how to handle detoxing people off suboxne. I was told to go to the ER they pationed as a suicide. I wasn't having it so they tranfered me to some psych place where I talked to a psych. Told him what's up. Anyway it was like they dropped the ball. So I got pist I did it on my own. Abt 4 months of feeling like my brain was melting seizures extra, I relapsed on heroin. This Dr knows the storey we decided on a low dose. For now.
    I did find something but it's illegal in the US claims to have a 91 percent recovery for opiate addiction. But don't have the cash to do it.

Anyway will see how this goes. Again I DO NOT recommend suboxne for long term on opiate addicts. Detox 5 days only maybe on the ****.
    I been on opiates a real long time I fucked myself up and I feel this is the only option I have right now to live a normal life. I got to be around mentally and physically for my kids ext most heroin addicts don't make it this far.
    THIS ISN'T COOL. I GET WHERE UR COMMING FROM JOSH
  13. Josh111187

?Im sorry I don't understand what you meen?
  14. Josh111187

I just reread this thread and I'm going to assume that you are offended by something I said. If that's the case I'm sorry you were offended.
    However I would like to point out to you that you said in your post you DO NOT RECOMMEND taking this treatment long term your advice is five days tops on the ****.
    Ok that's probably a good idea for some, maybe not so good for others, only they know. Then you say prior to this it was the worst detox you ever had. And would take heroin/benzo before it.
    Ok, I agree cold turkey heroin or Suboxone? Heroin wins. Its easier to just stop than sub.
    However your information is incorrect and should not be recommended to others when it comes to a cold turkey detox from benzodiazepines as they can, and in long term users have many times, kill you. So any one without a death wish would not rather cold turkey off the benzos.
    Look in your post you contradict yourself twice about what is recommended and what you should do. Iv seen you write before that long term sub use is sub abuse
    ( paraphrasing somewhat), but you also said that you have been clean for some years now. So why are you going against your own advice? Suboxone is to treat and ultimately alleviate opioid dependence. You have not been on opiods, so you are not in a dependent state, so why create a dependent state to opioid on the opioid you would use to stop the dependency?
    I'm not at all trying to give you a hard time. You said your on a low dose. For now. So your already planning or at are open to the idea of changing the dose.
    Remember that once an addict always an addict. I hate to see you relapse again. And in your last post here you said you were on Suboxone WHEN you relapsed. See the logic? It makes perfect sense to me. It really does, if I use my addiction mindset when looking at it. From a sober standpoint all I can do scratch my head and wonder why? You have suffered enough at the hands of opium! Please do not repeat the cycle.
    This is the very definition of addiction.
  15. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

No u didn't I was just saying that what I'm going thru isn't cool. I thought about it all night thought you might think that. Anyway i read a lot of post are u the one with 3 months clean.
  16. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

You had nothing but good advice and support to give. Everyone on this forum dose. I had a lot off bad experience at NA. I NEVER e
    deanokat likes this.
  17. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

I was off suboxne for abt 4 months when I relapsed. It takes about a yr to fully recover from it. I'm a addict and I except it. I'm just trying be productive human being again. now that most people would not agree. Again I DO NOT recommend this to anyone who hasn't been using for very long. I do know if I go back out I'm Not coming back . This is the part of my battle im trying very hard to prevent! I also want to be a better person for my family that has put up with my bs for so long. I few years ago I was the first one to stand up and preach against suboxne methadone ext. I tried dealing with this for 2 yrs now.
    The struggle I'm having with going on suboxne is The reason why I did come back on a computer and voice my concerns and struggles cuz I know there so many people going thru the same thing.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. True concern

Do whatever necessary to keep you from going back out to chase heroin and if that means Suboxone then take Suboxone.You are actively in treatment and if they support it and are helping you then do it.Your life matters and your daughter needs you
    deanokat likes this.
  19. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

I am not an opiate addict but I can’t see how going back in an opiate would be a good idea? I have a theory. So I’m an alcoholic right. Now when people stop drinking but don’t work the 12 steps or go to meetings or really change anything then they are called “a dry drunk” essentially the booze are gone but the person is still miserable because they are just an alcoholic without alcohol (they haven’t worked s recovery program) If I had just quit drinking and didn’t work the 12 steps I’d be fucking miserable and depressed too. I’d still be the same shitty selfish person except I wouldn’t have booze to drown my sorrows. 12 steps are KEY to a happy life we work through our character defects, our resentments and amends and come out the other side a changed person. Idk what the term would be for an addict who is essentially a dry drunk. But have you gotten a sponsor and worked the 12 steps? Are you an active member in your recovery community? If not I’d suggest doing that before you start taking subs again. Sure taking subs again sounds easier and less work. But that’s your addiction telling you to take it again. Do the right thing, stay clean. Really get into the recovery community in your area, work the steps for 6 months. I PROMISE you it will change your life. Suboxone will alway be there. There no rush to go back to it. Fight for your life.
    deanokat likes this.
  20. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Wow your prolly rite!
    Idk what they call it ether. I was in the program a few times. 90 N 90, sponsor the whole nine a few times. I guess when your ready ur ready only you can stop the madness. I was sick of being sick, just sick of the whole game.
    It dose sound ridiculous giving a person opiates to get of opiates. Just like them fed funded drug houses methadone clinics.
    This is where I'm at rite now. I been clean 2yrs In therapy handle my issues for a little over a yr now. I don't wake up sick anymore I'm getting along great with my family n kids. I don't want that to go away but I feel myself slipping so I think this is the right thing for me right now. I don't come back if I go out again.
    I'm so glad I have this forum. It's help me to see so much
    deanokat and True concern like this.