An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should i quit?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Kappys, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Kappys

Kappys Member

Say if i was addicted to some kind of drug that may or may not have some repercussions after long term use, should i not quit because the withdrawal would be too much for me? Or is it worth it to quit?
  2. juno

juno Community Champion

I think quiting is always the answer no matter what. If you are in a situation where you be facing serious withdrawal symptoms, you may want to seek professional help of medical treatment in the process of quiting, but you should always want to stop drug use. It is not good for you in anyway.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  3. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

How do you know you will face withdrawal complications unless you have tried to quit ? If you are asking the question should you quit, then probably the answer is yes. People usually only ask questions about quiting if they have a problem. Ultimately it is up to you. For the first while quiting is not easy, but it is better in the long run, and you will be happier.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Nothing worth doing is ever easy. If fear is the only thing keeping you from being a better you, you need to find something more important to you than that fear and stay focused on that. If there is something that motivates you, you will be more likely to follow through and more determined to overcome the pain to make a break through.
    Zyni and pandabear1991 like this.
  5. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well fearing the withdrawal symptoms is not unusual but you should not let that fear prevent you from doing the right thing which is to quit using that drug. Why should you continue to put your health and life at risk because of fear of having some vomiting and nausea? Quit while you have the chance.
    Zyni and pandabear1991 like this.
  6. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

Quit while you can! You don't want to reach a point where other's have to force you into recovery/help. Be strong, stable and self determined. And remember, we were not born with the drugs in our body, nor do we require them to function. Any chemical you put into your body can and will eventually create a dependency, and waiting too late to figure out if it is good or bad will more than likely be too late. The longer you use, the harder it will be to quit.

Edit: Others below have mentioned a view I was not thinking about. The advice I gave above would be okay if you were trying to quit cigarettes, marijuana, alcohol--drugs of that nature.

I would suggest talking to a doctor. The only reason they would report you is if you mention use directly in front of children, or if you intend to hurt yourself or someone else. If these are issues, then allow the good doctor to help admit you into recovery. Depending on what you are planning to detox from, you very well may need something to counter the withdrawals, until you can become dependent.

Sorry for the previously bad advice!
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

This is a very broad question. If it has more cons than pros in your life, cut it out. That being said, certain drugs can be dangerous to withdrawal from, in which case you might want to check with the doc first.
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Agreed about this being too broad to responsibly approach. I don't think you should go on the advice given here because it could be potentially dangerous seeing as we have no idea which drug you may be referring to & what kind of user you are. It's unlikely you're going to speak to a doctor about illicit drug use. It's rare that anyone does that. However, if you are not going to speak to someone please do the research yourself.
    pandabear1991 and Zyni like this.
  9. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Quitting is a strong solution for many people, and you should make sure that you inform yourself about different eventualities and then consider how this fit into your life.

Like many mention it, consulting a doctor is not a bad idea. Quitting is generally a positive and healthy move -- but so is getting in shape, and whoever is not sure about their health status should check with their doctor or physician before starting a training program. Of course, if you go to a center, they would probably be suited to take care of you also on a medicinal level, but if there is any reason why you shouldn't quit, it would be the wrong crowd to ask, maybe.
  10. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If there is no long or short term repercussions I don't see any reason to quit, but seeing as withdrawal is a long term repercussion I'd say if the substance you are talking about has this aspect and you are worried about it then it definitely is best to just quit early or not even start at all.
  11. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

There is help available so you don't have to try to go through it alone. It may not even be safe to go through it alone. Look over some of the resources provided here. There may be something that's just right for you. If you don't want to contact your doctor, there are other avenues.
  12. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Withdrawal symptoms will only worsen over time. The sooner you begin detoxing, the milder your inconvenience will be. Sure, you'll feel awful during the process but bear in mind that if you don't cut the cord now, you'll find yourself in a world of trouble next time you attempt at doing something like that. As I said, symptoms will only appear harder and harder to battle the longer you wait, so nipping your addiction in the bud is the best of course of action.
  13. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Using drugs that have adverse effects on one's body can never be justified. Whether the effects are short or long term should not be taken into account as what we need are healthy bodies which are crucial for our well being.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Excessive use and long term repercussions always go hand in hand. There's no such thing as a drug with no long-term repercussions. Even marijuana with its medical benefits is capable of ruining a person's life when taken in excess. The rules are simple. If you don't want regrets, then don't start a problem in the first place. Never entertain the thought of drugs. That's a good place to start.
  15. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

In the end of the day your the one who's gonna decide when to quit. Try to evaluate yourself first. Ask yourself how it all started, how much damage it did and will do in the future, and is the addiction really worth it. Would you risk all the things that you have just for the sake of addiction? even your family? You can never be ready for quitting. Just imagine the things that you can still do with your life. Do the rehab willingly with hope in your heart and always look for a brighter tomorrow.
  16. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

In every situations we had in our life "to quit" is something that is hard to do. Like for example in a relationship if is already not working out it is hard to think that you want "to quit". Same also when it comes to any kind of addiction your intention "to quit" requires determination and motivation before you intend to start to change. You let yourself to be in that kind of bad situation so you should realize from the start that the withdrawal part of your addiction requires gradual time and efforts before you reach your goal for your total recovery.
  17. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

It's always worth it to quit, no matter how you do it. It can be hard to make that step so it's understandable that the thought of withdrawal symptoms might throw you off. It has thrown plenty of people off and it's pretty much the only reason people don't quit, besides the actual addiction. It makes it a lot harder at the very least.
    There are always places and such you can go to get help--support groups, etc. There's always people who are willing to help you.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally I think that if you have to ask yourself 'should i quit/' then its proabably time that you did.
    Obviously the longer you take a substance the harder it will be to quit so making the decision and sticking to it are two different things altogether.
    I think everybody has the strength to quit anything, the key is you can only do it for yourself, you cant let people talk you into quitting, its got to be your own decision and even then its hard.
  19. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

Nomatter how hard or longterm the repercussion is you should always quit. With every second you use you are risking your life and putting the emotions and feelings of your loved ones at risk.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Very true. At the end of the day it is only ourselves who can tell if we are doing damage or not. The best way is to maintain awareness and have respect for the things you take because it all boils down to regulation and moderation. We put up with a lot of bad things in our life including sodas and fast food and despite them being bad, having moderate intake makes them okay to enjoy without feeling too guilty about it.