An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should i quit?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Kappys, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

It is worth to quit all the time because, there is no single drug out there that does not have side effects or that is not harming you body organs as you use it, so it is better to quit, no matter how hard or painful it is going to be, it is not for a life time, it will hurt just for a period of time.
  2. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

The OP's question is a bit too vague - if it was something like Cocaine, I would try to quit it ASAP, and not attempt to "ween" myself off of it, because it would only make me even more progressively miserable - and worse yet, I may turn to other substances to try and mask the cravings from withdrawal. I don't really see much of a benefit from gradually stepping down off of that (or Meth), but don't throw the baby out with the bath water if you've been going strong for a couple weeks then have a relapse or two - go right back to quitting again, and try to stick it out for yet another few weeks, hopefully longer or for good.

If it was alcohol, and you are a heavy drinker, then I would be much more careful. Especially if you are drinking anywhere from a half a bottle to an entire bottle of liquor a day - which I've gotten up to myself at times. I've had several seizures in public places during this time, once at an airport, once at a Costco, another time when I was at a storage garage I was renting, Luckily I never had any of these seizures while I was driving because it could have been much much worse.
  3. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

Quitting would be waaay better in the long run.
  4. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

Its always worth it to quit. You ow it to youself and those around you
  5. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I personally think its always better to quit. I know it wouldn't be easy and there are support groups and rehab there to help. I personally think the benefits of the outcome outweigh the struggles to get there.
  6. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

The question is..do you want to quit? I feel that you do since you are asking the question regarding withdrawals. Withdrawals are likely going to be quite uncomfortable, depending upon what you are using. You must remember though, that the withdrawals are temporary and once you detox you are going to feel much better. The damage that the drug(s) may and eventually will cause is permanent.

The choice is entirely up to you, but I do feel that you are reaching out for help and I certainly hope that you decide to get the help you need and deserve. Never be ashamed to ask for help. Talk to a doctor and see what option is best for you. This is the most important step, so that you can withdrawal safely. I wish you health and happiness!
  7. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Once you do make a decision get consultation regardless. The internet is not the best place for that. Go to a doctor you can never go wrong there. Be smart and be aware.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that to quit is still the best to do. It might not be easy and could have various pains but there could be help and treatment available around you. That could help one be able to survive it just like other who have been on those situations and have succeeded.
  9. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

It seems that if you are in theory thinking about quitting a certain type of drug, that you have taken the first step in the battle against addiction. I agree with many of the posters here that if you decide to start detox I would always check with a medical professional first. Many health care providers can offer an outpatient detox option depending on what type of substance one is detoxing from. I also find that if you are worried that you will not be able to handle detox symptoms... you will be very surprised to find out just how strong you really are when you make it through the detox.
  10. Domen

Domen Active Contributor

If I was you I would quit. I wouldn't want to risk my health and I would be ready to go through the withdrawal symptoms just to get clean. We don't cherish our health enough and when we start seeing signs that it's been damage it really starts hitting home that we should do something about it. I wish more people would accept the decision to quit earlier without health making a demonstration.
  11. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

It is always worth it to quit. You need to be sure you are going all out if do decide to do it. Maybe you can ween yourself off of it if you are strong. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you make the right decision.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

It's definitely worth quitting any addiction, let alone a drug addiction. Withdrawal symptoms are true and menacing, There are strategies devised now to treat/manage withdrawal symptoms. Therapy has now improved for good for drug-related addictions. If you can manage it, all by yourself, engage in regular exercise, fruit consumption and lots of water. You should soon feel better and withdrawal should not bother you. I personally recommend tapering off your drug addiction and stay strong-willed in doing so.
  13. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

Although this is a broad question, I would always recommend trying to taper off of a substance, as opposed to quitting it cold turkey. Depending on what chemical you are using, and the amount, suddenly jumping off could be seriously unbearable and, in some cases, very bad for your health.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's always a better choice to quit but if we're talking about drugs which have seriously potential complications from withdrawal symptoms (like heroin, for example) then you should get medical advice before attempting to do so. The withdrawal symptoms from heroin can be as dangerous as the heroin itself and therefore it's important to take the right course of action with the right help. Not quitting because of the potential dangers of withdrawal compared to the potential dangers of continued use is not very logical. Once you've got past those withdrawal symptoms and are clean, there will be no need to worry about either the consequences of continued use or the consequences of withdrawal and you will be free from all that stress.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Looks like the community has spoken and the answer is pretty clear.
    Quitting is always the correct choice! One thing I wanted to touch on that isn't mentioned here (or maybe it is since I only read 75% of the comments, but I really wanted to say this anyways) is you can't just consider how it effects you, you also have to consider how it effects those around you! Addiction is a community problem and your actions can hurt others in ways that are not apparent at the time.
    Luckily recovery is also a community endeavor. God willing the support you have around you can be the greatest help.
  16. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Fear to suffer withdrawal side effects is what keep many people trapped into addictions.

Of course you should quit even if you feel such drug is not causing you a big deal, or may not cause it in the future. However if you fear that withdrawal is going to be too much for you, the way to go is undergoing detox and rehab treatment.

Under health care, you will be prescribed with a substitution medication to avoid or lessen withdrawal side effects, controlling its dosage to avoid you could catch a secondary addiction to it.
  17. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

I don’t really understand what you are trying to say mate. It is always worth to quit drugs because drugs always have detrimental effects on your health.

Drugs are very much popular in teenagers because teenagers are going through a course of physical and emotional change, which their brains cannot fully understand. So, they use drugs so that their brain cannot feel the unease in having to adjust to new situations. Slowly, the use of drugs becomes a habit, and then an addiction. So, when the drug user decides to say quits to drugs, it means he is about to leave his brain to function in the real world.

Now if the drug user cannot motivate his brain to continue to forget the addiction and focus on the natural world, then he can fall to the same addiction. This is called withdrawal.

But to never quit just because you fear you may feel withdrawal symptoms in the uncertain future is not a good decision. Life is full of tough decisions and quitting drugs for a better life is one of them.
  18. Devonne

Devonne Member

For me, quitting was the best option. I was so far into my addiction that it was starting to effect my health and other areas of my life. Quitting isn't easy, and it surprised me. I knew that quitting would be hard, but I wasn't aware of all the work that it actually takes. Giving up the drug is only one step of fighting addiction. I knew I had to take a look at my life and understand how and why it got that far in the first place. That was the only way that I could ensure I wouldn't be victim to addiction again. I believe anyone is strong enough to quit, but you have to be prepared to face things that you never thought you would have to face. Sort of a "demon in the closet" type of thing. It seems like you have to be prepared to face those things so you are better equipped to face the world without addiction.
    Sudarsan likes this.
  19. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I really feel that quitting is the answer. Anytime a person uses something that they seem to have the need to rely on then that is a problem. You can live drug-free and you can overcome this. Take one day at a time and don't be hard on yourself if you do not quit as soon as you want to. If you mess up shake the dust off and keep moving.
  20. Sudarsan

Sudarsan Active Contributor

That's exactly what I understood too. Giving up the drug is just one step. Even I had to understand the past events and try to figure out what made me addicted to drugs, where I went wrong, and how I could use that experience to ensure that I wouldn't fall into the same trap again. So, apart from bearing the pain of trying to ignore the notoriously wonderful feel of nicotine inside my blood, I also had to apply pressure on my exhausted brain and keep my alert clock on so that I could use my sixth sense to realize when I would be coming near to withdrawal and how I could successfully prevent it once again.