An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should i quit?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Kappys, Feb 16, 2015.

1. harmonygreer

harmonygreer Member

In all honesty, quitting is always an answer when it comes to drugs. At the end of the day, you and your health and the way you feel is what matters most! I can say it will not be easy but trying is always best. Using drugs can have a lot of negative affects on one person. There might be withdraws but when you learn to stop and stay away, it should get better. There also is therapy treatments out there that can personally help you. As we all know the effects and consequences, our own health is what matters no matter what. I want to say, good luck to you and I hope you find peace in what your decision is! Keep your head high!
  2. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Dear OP, no matter how bad the withdrawal symptoms might be, you need to stop using drugs. They are just not worth it, you are exposing your health and also risking a lot valuable things in your life, like for example family, friends, relationship and even your work. Not worth the risk. No idea what drug you are on, but whatever it is... I'm sure you can find help to quit.

All you need to do is to make an informed decision, get yourself more info on the different methods used to quit the drug you are using. If you can get the help from a professional, stay connected with a support group, like for example this one or find one where you can attend physical meetings in your area.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It is always worth it to quit. Yes there would be withdrawal symptoms. It's inevitable. You just have to tough it out. Withdrawal symptoms don't last long but the long term-benefits of staying sober and living a healthy life style will do you a lot of good.
  4. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

Don't think twice and please quit. Not quitting might not hurt you now but it will definitely hurt you in the long run. It might not seem to affect your life now but it would sooner or later. Quit while you still can.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Prolonged smoking will most likely result in throat cancer or lung cancer. That's after long term use. Can you live with that? There are no benefits in indulging in any kind of drugs and it would be best if you stay clean. Why endanger yourself with substances which add no value to your life other than misery and pain?
  6. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi Kappys! Hope you are well. I think you should quit for sure. Everything that goes into our bodies, good or bad has repurcussions, and if you are worried about experiencing withdrawls symptoms from any substance then it can't be good. Maybe you should share what substance you are trying to detach from. Maybe someone else has gone through the same thing here, and they can give you better advice.
  7. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

It depends on the drug, but managing withdrawals can be a tricky business. I'm not a smoker, but I've heard plenty of horror stories from friends who quit. With alcohol, delirium tremens can be dangerous, even life threatening. If that's your drug of choice, I would check yourself into a hospital if at all possible. They can give you IVs to bring you down safely. If that's not an option, you need to figure out a way to taper off, but that, too, can be dangerous, not least because you may just continue drinking at an unhealthy level/pace. Best-case scenario, I think, is to ask a trust friend or family member to drive you to a hospital, as you'll be achieving the dual effect of admitting to someone (and yourself) that you have a problem, and getting what could be life-saving help from trained medical professionals.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

No matter what kind of addiction it is, you have to quit it as it wouldn't do any good to you. Maybe it gives you pleasure, but that's only temporary. Maybe it hasn't shown its negative side yet, but sooner or later, you'll realize that it's pretty dangerous.
  9. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

It sounds like you want to quit whichever drug you're talking about and you'd like us to tell you to stop it. Its you that has to want to stop it. Personally I try to stay away from anything that has a negative impact after long-term use, generally, without knowing which drug it is you're talking about, I'd advise you to do the same. If its likely to shorten your life in the long-run, giving it up now while you still can has to be the most sensible option.