An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should I try a 3/4 house?

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by PeachyBean, Oct 2, 2014.

1. PeachyBean

PeachyBean Member

I've heard good things and bad things about them. I just got out of a 14 day rehab and think it might be a good idea, just not sure what to expect.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Fury

Fury Member

I've only ever heard good things about them! A great way to start off and stay clean after getting out of rehab! I have a few friends who rave about their time there, they said staying tough was clean but the house made the experience a lot more enjoyable.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. kristencheri

kristencheri Member

The environment is really good for you when coming out of rehab and trying to stay clean. In a sober living house every person that lives there can truly understand your struggles and give you the exact support you need to make it through. It also gives you a chance to be there for another addict and help them thru a tough time. It's a very good self esteem booster to know your strong enough to not only abstain from drugs or alcohol yourself but to be able to give someone else the courage to abstain as well. Right n0w is the time you need to be surrounded by people who understand you and your feelings and what your going through.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I have not hear any results from a 14 day home. I would be afraid that someone would relapse because not all issues would be addressed in such a short amount of time. It takes a while just to get everything out of your system. How intensive is that therapy?
    Joseph likes this.
  5. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that it's important that you understand that not all sober living houses are created equal. Due diligence is the key to finding a house, and housemates, that work best for you. The kind of treatment you receive, the rules & regulations of the house, and the expectations they have for you, will determine your success.

I know that you can find a great house, and that you can do this! Just look into houses, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Follow your gut, and if something does not feel right, don't do it. The last thing you want to do is get into an unhealthy situation after you've already make these amazing steps in rehab.

You can do it! You're strong enough, smart enough, and have the power! Keep us updated if you can.
  6. sweetkymom

sweetkymom Member

I have hear nothing but good raves about these homes. Coming from a friend that went straight to one after her 3 month rehab stint, she can't do anything but thank the home. All the ladies in that home went through the same as her so all their struggles, they struggled together. The ladies became the best of friends and now they are speakers at many events. They are raising awareness from the addiction and giving real life points as these ladies went through it. I would suggest going into one. They would do more good then harm.
  7. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Was just wondering if you have made a decision? I think it is a good choice.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a good idea for anyone who needs it. Having supportive people around. Family or friends can often re-stimulate a reason to go back to it. Trying to find sober living that is clean and stable. Hopefully with reasonable rules.
  9. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

That does seem to be the key when it comes to finding a sober living house. You need a place that is going to hold you accountable, but at the same time, you don't want a place that has ridiculous, and sometimes borderline impossible rules to follow.