An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should Marijuana be legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Brem, Oct 13, 2014.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I personally believe that it should be legal. First because there aren't any death ever related to it, tobacco and alcohol are killing millions a year and none of these are banned yet. Second, I think a lot of people would lose the interest for it if it would be made legal, after a while everyone would forget about it, because it wouldn't be something "risky" and "rebellious" to smoke pot anymore.
  2. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I don't think it should be legal for any purpose. It was made illegal for a reason, because it alters the mind and mood. It is a real danger if people use it and then drive. Marijuana is a big problem where I live and people I know have witnessed very odd driving behavior around places known for being pickups for marijuana.

Most people seem to be unaware that it can cause short term memory loss. I don't think that is a risk anyone would want to take if they really understood how serious that is and how it would forever change their life.
  3. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I'm all for smoking, I smoke daily, but I still don't believe that legalisation will reap any benefits. Maybe more of a 'toleration' (like Amsterdam et al) but legalisation isn't going to help anything.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I would only want it legal for medical purpose, as it can be used in hospitals and by doctors only who give it to patients who need it for medication. Having it fully legalized, we would see people who do not have medical conditions to take it and get addicted to it a lot. The government would have to see what they can do, and see that loopholes are not being used to get around it so someone can use it. Some people do not have control and, would not use it for the right purpose and get high on it all the time.
  5. Christianc

Christianc Member

I am all for legalizing medical marijuana but not recreational. People will find a way to abuse it just as they did with alcohol. People argue that marijuana is o.k. because it is "natural" but so is alcohol and tobacco. I just don't see a difference between THC "wax" and everclear grain alcohol; both are bad in my eyes.
  6. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

I definitely think it should be made legal for medical purposes and, at the very least, decriminalized when you're talking about small amounts of the substance.

It still fascinates me how big powerful business interests in the US have had such a huge impact on the perception of marijuana relative to, say, hard liquor. The discourse is becoming gradually more supportive. It just might take a bit more time.
  7. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Member

It's hard to imagine where this could take us. I once thought it was no big deal, and that pot should be legalized. Lately, however, I've have come to the conclusion that it is a downward force on society. We are slipping in so many ways. We are losing our high standard and that's a problem. What's next legal heroine?
  8. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Member

Absolutely, that's how I feel. Not that I'm against anyone's happiness or freedom to experience what they enjoy in smoking pot. The fear I have is that given a green light to smoke weed people will likely over do it. Look to see the number of ER visits due marijuana toxicity to shoot through the roof. We would be taking a big chance as a society. I just don't think it's a good idea at all.
  9. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Member

I believe that we all should ask ourselves what the implication of legalized marijuana would be. Policy either lift you up or brings you down. Would such a law make us better just because it allows us to be more free? Legalized marijuana is one we have to give a lot of thought to. Suicide, murder of oneself, is illegal. Just because a person wants to die doesn't mean that society should make it legal for them to lawfully take such action.
  10. SF13

SF13 Member

I've considered my previous statement and after further consideration, I have decided my true opinion. I don't think any drug should be illegal to 'use'. I think usage of a drug or herb such as marijuana should be regulated but not criminalized. Abuse should be a medical and health issue, not a legal one.

However, the manufacture and sale of illegally manufactured drugs, such as meth, should remain criminal in nature. Don't arrest the people who use the substance, arrest the people who make and distribute it. Help the substance abusers get clean and make punitive results from manufacture and sale into a much more hardcore experience.
  11. camsdad

camsdad Member

You can't blame marijuana alone for someone dropping out of school and those people lost their jobs because it's illegal and most companies like to look good on paper. Regardless of it being legal or not, people still smoke it and there are no cases where it's done more damage than legal substances like alcohol or tobacco/nicotine. So it's pretty much illegal because it can't be properly regulated yet. Things won't get out of hand, because it will be regulated, there will be rules and breaking those rules/laws will be very expensive.
  12. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Yes it should be legalized. Just to stop institutional greed and corruption. Making criminals out of people for a plant is absurd. Making criminals out of anyone that has a drug problem is absurd.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, I do not think that marijuana should be legalized. It is because even it was illegal here, there are reported cases of abused marijuana cases and there are crimes related to its addiction. What more if it becomes legal, the authorities will really have a hard time controlling the possible increase on addiction to it.
    But I think it was just okay to allow it for medical purposes if really proven true and with supervision.
  14. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

Like many things in this world weed was deemed illegal because it posed a threat to the major money movers of the world economy. Hemp and hemp byproduct can replace many of the industries we have today causing a major power struggle among the very wealthy. With all the research and tech that has gone into marijuana all the benefits are resurfacing and opening peoples eyes to the subject. That said I dont see it remaining illegal much longer. Look at all the sick it has helped that along should be enough to decriminalized it for further use and research.
  15. Dinofossil

Dinofossil Member

I see marijuana in the same light that I see tobacco. Many people enjoy using it, which I see no problem with (save illegal usage). The real issue is the series of laws and restrictions that would need to be created for marijuana smokers. In addition to the restrictions, new taxes would put legal growers out of business, while illegal growers could get more profit. In the end, while I have no stance, it would be easier for users if nothing changed.
  16. sillylab

sillylab Member

I would have to disagree with you on that. When you look at states that have legalized it minor use has gone down and addiction rates to all drugs across the board goes down (perscription drugs etc)

When you take it out of the drug dealers and into the legal market it becomes harder for kids to access it. Drug dealers don't card you.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I have no problem with marijuana being legalized for medical problems BUT how many drugs do we know of that are constantly abused and yet they are supposed to be prescribed by a doctor before they are issued over the counter? Do we have the necessary legal framework to ensure that kids won't have access to marijuana because of "medical reasons"?
  18. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

The simple question people should ask about marijuana is this:

Is it unlawful to have or use marijuana?

No. Legal does not mean the same thing as Law, and the easiest way any human can tell this difference, both words are "spelled" differently. Law is the opinion of people laid down on paper or stone - Legal is the "interpretation" of Law that a Legislative body create to ease their business practices.

Also, marijuana is a Mexican plant and etymologically unknown, and is not the same as cannabis or hemp - a summary of Law is composed of grammar, logic, rhetoric, forgiving, honor, right and wrong, and property [that which is proper and exclusive in use to a man or woman e.g. one's arms, dreams, wishes, etc.].
  19. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I believe Marijuana should be kept illegal as it is. People may underestimate its hazards and be addicted to it once it becomes legal. I agree that Marijuana can be used and accessible for medical treatment only with proper prescription by authorized doctor.
  20. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

If legal medicine can be made from opiates then I don't see why medicine that can be made with THC should be illegal. If it helps people, they should be allowed to have it. It would have to be controlled, but so does everything else.