An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should Marijuana be legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Brem, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Sar.bear

Sar.bear Member

One reason that I think that marijuana should be legalised recreationally is it is sort of an 'antidrug' for people recovering from much harder addictions. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I know so many people recovering from a meth or heroine addiction and can function in society without relapse because of marijuana. It helps calm them down and reduces the symptoms of withdrawal.
  2. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

It should be legal. Although there are some negative side effects such as impaired short-term memory and increased risk of lung cancer, it is relatively harmless in comparison to other drugs. It is less harmful than cigarettes and alcohol as well. Furthermore, have you tried weed? It's awesome! If weed were taxed, it would bring revenue into the system. Right now, the government is using the tax-payers' money to keep harmless stoners and dealers in jail. Prison is for hardcore criminals, not smokers.
  3. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I think that it should be legalized, because I think that people have the right to do with their bodies what they like. If they wish to smoke pot, then this should be their right. It is their decision and not the decision of anyone else. Some people say that legalizing pot could bring a lot more lazy people with it(not wanting to do their job, they just want to chill and smoke), but I think that this isn't the case. If there would bring more people of this kind with it they would soon find out that they can't live like that and they would soon change their habits. Marijuana should be legalized and so all the other drugs. I don't see why alcohol and tobaco can be legal, but marijuana not.
  4. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

One step closer. Oregon has joined colorado and washington. California passed prop 47. Even though it didn't pass in florida the response was great. Just because of the 60% law. Interesting climate around the country today.
  5. DAE89

DAE89 Member

It should be legal for many reasons. Firstly, it has enormous therapeutic benefits for a variety of illnesses. To keep helpful medicine you can grow at home out of the hands of the sick is just cruel. Second, there is a massive windfall to be made off taxing it. In this current economic climate, this is a benefit that cannot be ignored. Third, it is less damaging to society than any other narcotic substances, alcohol included (ever see an angry stoner get into a fight outside a bar? I haven't). Finally, it should be legalized solely for that fact that the government has no right to tell us that we cannot put this harmless substance into our bodies. Alcohol, fast food, and nicotine are much more damaging to the individual and society as a whole and they're legal. So why not marijuana?
  6. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

The trend seems to be toward increased legalization and wider social acceptance of marijuana use. It is no longer associated with heroin and other hard drugs. Now it is thought of as more akin to alcohol. This has been a slow social change, pressed by the argument that marijuana has medical qualities that are being denied to sick people. I guess the question for me is whether or not marijuana should be legal, but whether marijuana should be illegal. The costs of enforcement and incarceration, when weighed against the social harm created by the use of the drug makes absolutely no worldly sense. It doesn't use our social wealth efficiently and it doesn't address the problems associated with marijuana, which like alcohol does generate its addicts. Legalizing it might even create a better hope for those addicts to find their way to recovery.
  7. Glen

Glen Member

Legalizing it would have both it's pros and consequences. When used medically, it's effects can be extremely effective. However, the use of marijuana recreationally may be the spark that makes people want to experiment with other drugs. However, on the other hand, legalizing it may stop people from buying off the street, which could be potentially laced with dangerous things.
  8. dpaige707

dpaige707 Member

The classification of marijuana has a lot to do with it's monetary value as well as our culture. Same as the prohibition, conservative christian views have hindered the progression of the country. It has always been against christian views to shun anything that alters your mood but there is nothing in the bible that says explicitly, "Do not smoke weed." I think the reason why weed is against marijuana is because it is grouped together with alcohol because it has been made illegal. The monetary value of weed also alters the classification of marijuana. If you could produce a drug in your backyard that treats pain as well as marijuana does what would be the point of going to the doctor and getting painkillers? If marijuana becomes legal the multibillion dollar pharmaceutical industry would take a huge blow. The pharmaceutical industry uses these deep pockets for lobbyist in Washington, which need also for getting their drugs through the FDA. I think these are the reason why marijuana is illegal
  9. Acube

Acube Member

Marijuana is becoming more and more legal in different parts of the world. Where I come from the government is just about to pass law on its legality but under certain conditions. Its really up to the governments in each region to decide but what is the cost and effects. Is it going to cost more health issues or solve them, and that's just one effect it will have -Health concerns? Their is so many other risks, it doesn't matter any way it is already been done, it is legal.
  10. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

It seems to me that cigarettes are much worse than marijuana. All those chemicals and unnatural ingredients being put into the body is crazy. If it can be used for medicinal purposes then it should be fine for recreational use. The government does want total control so their is a profit to be made. Isn't that what they always care about most.... money.
  11. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

These laws will be juggled for years now. I don't smoke pot, or tobacco, but I know my neighbor does. And when he's "High" I would not ride in a car with him for sure. They don't call it DUI they call it DWI which is driving while impaired. And yes to many of the posts above... Taxes talk - if it's can be made into a revenue source you can bet it will be looked at as a possible way to fill government coffers.
  12. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

When they legalize Marijuana they can very well legalize crack cocaine. Marijuana should be used strictly for medicinal purposes and the proper dosage being prescribed by a doctor. I am aware of it's medicinal properties but it also have very serious and deadly effects even when used in moderation.
  13. Davienna

This is true and very sad. People have been calling for the legalization of "ganja" in several countries, especially here in Jamaica and it has always been a definite no. Now that our government see big money they are intending to legalize it as we are the producers of some of the best herbs. Literally all our reggae artistes have been crying for this.
  14. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

It's actually ridiculous that marijuana hasn't been fully legalized yet. Like imagine that they can legalize cigarettes that can give you cancer and claim your life and alcohol which causes the highest case of known addictions next to chemically developed drug substances, but here you have a health benefiting drug from herbal origins that they don't want to legalize. That is nothing but double standards and I hope one day that marijuana is able to be smoked by people of the age of majority.
  15. Davienna

I am surprised that so many persons are here on a drug abuse forum defending a drug that has and is still affecting many people negatively. Just like most other drugs, Marijuana have advantages and disadvantages along with several side effects even when used in moderation. If it is that you guys are for a cause, I have no objections as everyone stand to their own opinions but this is just not the place for doing this. I thought this was a community built to help persons get over their addictions, not to encourage persons to use rather addictive substances.
  16. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

I have to agree with you Davienna. This is a space of recovery and healing. People ask questions about whether the drug is this or the drug is that. But in fact, it's not about the drug, it's about the addict. Marijuana, by all measures,qualifies to be a legal drug in that it is not intensely addicting, it does not impair moral or ethical judgement the way alcohol does, and it doesn't lead to dangerously anti social behavior. But legalizing something does not mean that someone can't get addicted to the something. Alcohol is legal. Lots of alcoholics out there. Marijuana will likely soon be legal everywhere. There will be Marijuana addicts. If you are addicted to a substance, if it has become unmanageable, your life has become unmanageable, then it is probably time to think about doing something different. Starting a program, joining a program, getting help.
  17. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

What makes you think that the legalization of cocaine will be a result of ending cannabis prohibition? I support the legalization and regulation of all drugs, but with that aside, I can't see cocaine legalization being the result of marijuana legalization.

Also, for a substance to be deadly, it has to have caused death. Would you mind providing us with cases of death directly attributed to cannabis?
  18. Davienna

I am not sure you are on the right forum at all. Well, I am actually positive that you are not if it is that you are vying for the legalization of all drugs. I am not a doctor or scientist and I don't research such things as which drugs cause direct death but what I do know is that Marijuana has caused several deaths indirectly, it has also affected too many people negatively. It is helpful due to its medicinal properties but to legalize it would do more harm than good. Everyone would have easier access causing more people to be hurt by such a rather dangerous drug.
  19. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I am absolutely in the right forum. We're all here for the same reasons: combating addiction and harm reduction. Our end goal is the same, but our methods are different.

Note that I didn't only say legalization; I said legalization and regulation. Whether you want to accept it or not, people are going to do drugs regardless of the legality of them. The laws against cannabis don't stop people from growing, distributing, and using it. The laws against meth don't stop people from cooking it, using it, and selling it. The same applies for every other illegal drug out there. If we want to reduce harm, we need to realize that forcing poorly-qualified people to create drugs in clandestine laboratories with mediocre equipment is doing much more harm than good (Krokodil, exploding meth labs, heavily adulterated drugs, etc.). In an ideal society, pure, unadulterated drugs would be accessible in a way that reduces harm and society would focus on rehabilitation instead of punishment.

Take a look at the results of Portugal's decriminalization of all drugs in 2001. Here's an article from TIME magazine on it.

Cell phones have caused deaths indirectly. Should we outlaw cell phones? Bridges have caused deaths indirectly. Should we outlaw bridges? Prohibition doesn't work. It never has, and it never will.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  20. Davienna

How do you plan to help anyone here to break their addiction by trying to promote a drug and drugs for that matter. The fact that you support the legalization of all drugs says a lot to me. I therefore have no time arguing with you on this matter as my primary goal here is to help persons break the habit and stay clean.