An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should Marijuana be legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Brem, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I'm a neuropharmacology student. I understand how drugs work, why they do what they do, and why so many people fail to break their addictions. I have a lot of experience with different drugs, so I can offer my knowledge and experiences on those substances. I have also helped a lot of friends break addictions from nicotine to benzodiazepines.

If you think that I'm promoting or condoning drug use, you have misunderstood all of my previous posts. I'm not saying that we should legalize drugs so that people can keep using them. What I'm saying is that you have to realize that, regardless of the legality of the drugs, people are going to use them anyway. When the drugs are illegal, people are thrown into jails instead of rehabilitation centers. They are also forced to use impure drugs which leads to more health problems and more deaths. It also fuels the cartels, causing more violence, but I won't get into that. I'm saying that we should legalize and regulate the drugs. There is a huge difference between a free market and a regulated market
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  2. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't really know what to say about it. Its a plant. Should it have been illegal in the first place? Perhaps it was made illegal so that eventually it would be legal. This way they can tax it and put a high tax on it. Money, money, money, it is all about money.
  3. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

It is a plant but an addictive one and it can be very harmful to one's health. Cocaine also comes from a plant, am I right or wrong? They are made illegal because of the harmful effects they can cause to the human body. Marijuana should only be legal when being used for its medicinal properties. There should only be a few licenced farmers, who would be the direct suppliers of the herb to scientists and or doctors.
  4. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

I believe it should be made legal everywhere, with the age limit being 18. Marijuana is already very widely used, so keeping it illegal is pretty pointless since people use it anyway. Keeping marijuana illegal does nothing but waste money, since the money used to arrest and convict people caught with marijuana is sky high.
    If the government could find a way to tax marijuana, that would be great. Many more jobs would be created, and the tax revenue could be used to improve schools and other resources. It could greatly help us out of this recession, so why not?
  5. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I've always been kind of 50/50 on this topic. On one hand, I think that it will be a really great thing if people who need marijuana for medical reasons have the same access to it that the would any other medication. On the other hand, the economy (at least in the US) is so messed up that the taxes will be pretty crazy. Another good thing is that there will be a lot less people getting arrested for marijuana possession, and the law enforcement can focus on stopping people committing ACTUAL crimes.
  6. fire421

fire421 Member

It should definitely be legalized medicinally but not recreationally. I am scared that once large businesses get their hands on it they will strengthen the THC to an unsafe level. I have friends who smoke weed all the time and they agree with me.
  7. Rob93FL

This will never be a problem. Even if they manage to significantly strengthen the cannabis, it's still not going to come close to doing dabs of hash oil, which some people do daily without any significant side effects. Aside from that, there will always be a market for regular-strength cannabis.

I find it very hard to believe that that's the reason cannabis is illegal.
  8. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I spent time in the village over the Christmas break. It changed my opinion on legalizing Marijuana. I had left a very promising young man doing his degree in IT. He dropped out two years back after being lured to smoke marijuana by his peers. He looked like a mad man when I met him on the street. I cannot begin to imagine what would happen in my small village if everybody was allowed to plant and consume marijuana. Marijuana should only be accessed by people living with painful health conditions if it is up to me.
  9. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

I'm not really sure about this. If we legalize marijuana, it could be like a invitation for the people (and specially to the teenagers, more manipulable) to think that this is not a drug at all, and it is indeed, and it can provoque serious addictions, but when we are talking about medical reasons, if it could relieve from the pain to the patients, I think it should be legalized in this cases, but with a lot of controls and only if a good doctor supports that decission.
  10. camsdad

camsdad Member

I look at it this way. Alcohol and tobacco are both legal and don't do anything good for anyone. Pot can be used to heal both mentally and physically in my opinion as I'm not a doctor. I know from my own personal experience that when I've been down in the dumps and I turned to drinking, I only ended up further in a whole because of the amount of alcohol it would take to ease the pain, if it did at all. If I smoked however, my mind would work on solving the problem instead of escaping it. That's just my personal experience. I do think if it was made legal there should be regulations because as said above, if it was legal it would be easier for people to get addicted.
  11. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I am for it being legalized. Let's grow it everywhere -- the plant has so many uses! Medical and recreational should be okay. I mean, you can talk about how people get addicted to it, but I don't know this many people who've suffered that whereas -- and this is my main point -- in places where marijuana is legal or at least tolerated, people consume it less frequently. They also consume less alcohol. Looks like the "illegal" part causes stress and pushes people to calm this stress with smoking more. As for the drinking -- well, if they can get a nice effect from smoking a bit, it looks like people are less in a rush to get drunk.

It's a good thing.
  12. keeshamarie

keeshamarie Member

I never really understood why it was illegal in the first place when it has been proven that there are other things out her like cigarettes, that do so much more damage. I think the states that are legalizing it realize that its actually more beneficial than it is a burden. I do believe that eventually all 50 states will legalize it ..eventually. Its just too much money on the line for it not to be.
  13. Rub

Rub Member

If thу marijuana will be legalized then much more people will taste it. It is no good. There are a lot of weak people, they will addict in a few weeks, I guess.
  14. shay shay

shay shay Member

I feel they should legalize it because it put everybody in such a good mood. And helps you get better at the same time. Without the crazy side effects.
  15. Rob93FL

While I agree that cannabis should be legal, that isn't a very good reason. Just like any other drug, cannabis affects people differently. It doesn't put everyone in a good mood; some people regularly experience negative highs.
  16. shay shay

shay shay Member

Yeah but it also calm people so that they can cope with people and problems in a nicer manner.
  17. Rob93FL

Sure, it does calm some people. Other people get intense paranoia and anxiety from it. I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't say that it puts everybody in a good mood. That just isn't true.
  18. daregicide

daregicide Member

I just don't see the point in why marijuana is even illegal. In the UFC, Nick Diaz got suspended for a whole year for being caught with marijuana. Jon Jones completely gets away with using cocaine. Our media portrays marijuana to be more incriminating than cocaine. Marijuana is not even close to being as bad as cocaine is to you.
  19. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't see any reason to keep it illegal. Legalizing it won't make it easier to get; cigarettes and alcohol are legal, but most high schoolers will tell you they're harder to get than pot. Just look in Amsterdam, how often do you see people born and raised there in the weed shops? Never. It's the tourists that do it. And if people are going to smoke it anyways, why give the money to the drug cartels? Why not distribute it back into our own country?

Prohibition doesn't work. It didn't work with alcohol and it's not working with pot. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living under a rock or walks down busy streets with nose plugs on. It's everywhere, you can't go five minute without smelling pot smoke.

Also. If you throw someone in a cage with murderers and rapists for smoking weed, someone who is an otherwise good person, I don't know how you can live with yourself. What if it was your son or daughter who made a dumb decision? Would you then feel that slapping on a criminal record is the right thing to do? As if being restricted to working at McDonald's the rest of their life will somehow help them stay clean?

You can't punish someone for messing up their life by messing their life up even more. It makes no sense.
  20. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Im 39 and have been using weed since I was 15. Ive had no problems with it, although I do know people who used to smoke it but it sent them funny and now they can't touch the stuff. I don't smoke ciggerettes, hate them, and if I can't get a draw then I just don't smoke. I'm on the fence about legalising it, it would be good to go shop and get it, but then it would be so tightly controlled and probably changed for sale purposes, so im not sure. You'd think after all these years i'd be pulling out my hair if I cant get it, but i'm not, it doesn't bother me as much as you'd think. The only downside is now my 2 oldest children aged 20 and 21 also smoke it, and I wonder if they would have if I hadn't of, if you get my drift.