An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should more Tobacco companies be sued?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Mackmax, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Many people are angry at Tobacco companies for promoting their products towards children. Although they deny it, it is evident that many of their products come in bright shiny packaging, similar to children's candy. Also, tobacco products such as cigar rolls are often left on the counter in gas stations- a place where kids can easily steal and use it.
    [​IMG]

Should cigarette companies be sued for this?
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

It's not that tobacco related corporations should be sued more, it's if one can prove the entity caused a direct harm, injury, or wrong to you! Many people have tried their cases against these tobacco corporations and failed miserably, because they lacked the facts and evidence to prove their case was true. Plus, tobacco corporations have tonnes of money to spend on crafty and intelligent attorneys, which some average joe or jane does not have the luxury at their disposal. More over, the most important thing to understand is the court one wishes to be in, because most persons who had sued big tobacco corporations in the past went through a U.S. Court, which no doubt in my mind was bias against the plaintiff aka the man/woman who tried their cases.

Tobacco use is all "voluntary," people who work for tobacco corporations never put a gun to a human and forced him/her to smoke.
  3. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Yes, I agree with the poster above that it is a lost cause if somebody tries to sue tobacco companies without concrete evidences. Just like those McDonald's lawsuits, I believe the company has the rights to sell their products if what they are doing is in accordance with the law.

I think if there is a concern that those companies try to market their products toward children and therefore do illegal practices, maybe the only way the litigation would go through is to create a strong legal team with a lot of funding (possibly from donations from anti smoking campaigns) and find solid evidences like videos of their direct selling towards minors. It has to be that solid for the courts to even look at it and it needs to be even more solid for it to win.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm sorry but this is silly. Everyone knows how harmful cigarettes are, plus they are not even supposed to be sold to children. I can understand the earliest cases, where people were told that smoking was good for them, but these days, we are well informed of the risks.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Honestly, I don't think the tobacco companies are doing anything wrong. When I started smoking, it was my own choice and I am the only one to be help responsible. Maybe it just depends on where you live, but where I live every pack comes with a picture of some clogged artery or black lungs. Also, cigarette advertisements are illegal here, including subliminal advertisements through movies and television.
  6. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

They should be sued for a lot more, but in the end, tobacco is still legal. I don't know how people win suits at all, as people that died from smoking did it to themselves. But the bad thing about tobacco companies, the same as oil companies, they have so much money, even incredibly unbelievable amounts in lawsuits (billions upon billions) is not enough to shut them down. They basically have an endless supply of money.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

People shouldn't just get sue happy because the tobacco industry is supposedly marketing to children. I don't know where you live, but all tobacco products are kept out of reach and behind the counters are 99% of stores where I live. Children aren't going to gain access to those products unless they commit a crime and hop the counter. The tobacco industry does a lot of things that aren't ethical, but the way our economy works allows for people to buy things that are terrible for their own health.