An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should people who do illegal drugs be allowed to vote?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by courtjesraspen, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Do you think people who do illegal drugs should be allowed to vote?
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

How do you propose to determine they are doing illegal drugs without doing a drugs test, which is a direct infringement of their human rights?

Besides, illegal doesn't necessarily mean more harmful -- It just means the government can make more money by keeping certain drugs illegal.

It would also be unfair to take away all those politicans' voting rights, if you catch my drift...

Anyway, the drugs you should be concerned about are the ones they sell over the counter -- Have you read the ingredients of those supermixes?
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

On what grounds would you ban people who have taken illegal drugs from voting? If it is diminished awareness of reality then all religious people should be baned too, Oh! and put with that anyone who has drunk any alcohol.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to illustrate a point
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Maybe we should legalize and tax marijuana, and then it won't be an illegal substance, and then a large percentage of the people you're demonizing with this question will be helping society!
  5. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Why should they be excluded? People do illegal things all the time beyond drugs and they still vote.

To press it further, most of our candidates have done or even still do substances, yet their allowed to vote AND run for offices.

So give me a good reason why THEY should be singled out and excluded.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

This is a tough question, but you know what, hard core drug users DON'T CARE about voting at all, so I think that their "clouded" judgement won't make an impact in the elections because they are in their own little world busy getting high.
    Bonzer likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Threatening to take away a persons right to vote isn't going to make a great deal of difference I wouldn't have thought.

I'm not quite sure either how you would actually determine if they are taking an illegal substance either, you can't exactly drug test the whole nation before every election.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Drug addiction is an illness.

Would you support the disenfranchisement of all sick people? Aren't they all citizens with equal rights just as everyone else?

IMO, drug addicts should always vote. The leaders elected serve everyone including them addicts so why shouldn't they be involved in choosing the right person for the job?
  9. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

This kind of question is going to open all sorts of worms. If you go not only would you violate a person's rights with this, IF it were ok'd it would be similar to segregation.

So even the IDEA of this would set us back a good 80 years.
  10. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Firstly, you would have to test everyone in the country to decide who could vote or not, and that would be a huge waste of time. Secondly, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to vote. If anything, policy on mental health and addiction could be key to their recovery, so they may well want to try and vote for the party that they feel would represent them the best in this way. I would never take votes away from anybody, or it would make a completely mockery of calling ourselves a "democracy", which we like to do.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes.
    However I feel strongly about banning anyone with "court" in their username from posting arbitrary nonsense on forums.
    God have mercy.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

The most sensible reply to the question obviously. Hardcore users may or may not vote and they are such a small minority their percentage makes little impact. Nevertheless, it must be left to the judiciary and not to the executive in a democratic setup.
    kjonesm1 and serenity like this.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum. I am not looking to ban you from the forum like JohnnyMacDonald,( the post was funny depending on how you look at it) but I would like to suggest that you at least present us with something meaningful that allows us to see your perspective. On it's own, it just sounds like a question that has been thrown out there. I would love to have you answer the very question that you presented, which might help us to make more sense of the question.

As for me, I agree with a lot of everything the others have mentioned.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I kind of understand where @courtjesraspen is coming from. Kind of. I think the question being asked is more about whether or not someone who can't really control their own life, or whose thinking is maybe not clear because of drug use, should be able to help decide what's best for others. That said, I don't think you can start taking away the voting rights of people who do illegal things. Unless they've been convicted of a felony and are incarcerated or on parole or probation (those people can't vote).
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

All on his legal age and registered voters can vote even those who are in prison (not sure if that was the cases on other countries as well and not sure if there are just exceptions or certain cases that are allowed to vote). Also there is no drug test needed before one can vote so, literally those who use drugs can vote.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Yes that post was mostly in jest. I would never actually advocate banning someone, everyone's voice does count.
    I take the democratic process very serious, So I truly believe every adult citizen should be allowed to vote.
    It's a dangerous game when you start picking groups and removing suffrage.
    Winterybella likes this.
  17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. They have the right to vote. In the first place, they are legit citizens of the country. But the thing is, if they are under the influence of drugs at the time of the voting period, I don't think they would be able to make a wise decision on who to vote for.
  18. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@zaerine... There are indeed states where convicted felons can't vote while incarcerated. Or while they're on parole or probation. Or, in some cases, at all, even upon release. Here's a website that shows a state-by-state guide:

State Felon Voting Laws
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Thanks for the link. I am not from the US but still interesting to know about the laws/rules of the various states.
  20. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Of course, why shouldn't they be allowed? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't vote, of course, unless they have brain damage and cannot reason.