An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should second-hand smoking be frowned upon in public?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by stridee, Aug 18, 2015.

1. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

When people smoke around me in public, I absolutely hate the second-hand smoking aspect of it. I love that there are places with smoke-free zones, but I feel like smoking in public should be a much bigger deal. What do you guys think about smoking in public places and the dangers that come from second-hand smoking?
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Same as there smoking-free areas inside many places, there should be warnings to avoid smoking in public places, same as campaigns to raise awareness about damage that second-hand smoking cause.

Sometimes the smoker doesn't really care about other, but same way certain "charities" use children to touch your wallet and get you donating for questionable causes nobody knows where that money really goes, similarly those campaigns should make use of children to see if those unconscious smokers stop for moment when outdoors.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I wish there is a law that disallows smoking in public places. I do not mind if a person smokes for himself. I am only concerned about my son's health. There are many times that smokers pass by him in public places smoking away their cigarettes. I hate knowing that he inhaled all those secondhand smoke. I am not a smoker and even I am, I would never expose him to cigarette smoke. But these other smokers seem to not really care about young children inhaling their fumes.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

As a non-smoker, I completely agree with you. I don't think enough has been done to curb smoking in public. It's so incredibly common to inhale second-hand smoke when I'm walking around in public spaces. This is not fair on those of us that wish to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Just because smokers are harming their own health, doesn't mean the rest of us need to suffer.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't see the big deal. I mean, I see people driving around in their giant, gas-guzzling vehicles. To think that they pump way more pollution in the air and then look at me funny for smoking in public just really grinds my gears. Either everyone should quit polluting the air, or no one should. It's wrong to pick and choose who can and can't pollute.
  6. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Well in the US, most areas have banned smoking in public areas almost entirely. And if you are going to smoke, you must be a certain distance away from the entrances to the building. This has done a lot to cut down on second hand smoking in many populated places.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I can totally understand where you are coming from. A few years back, smoking in public was very common and was socially acceptable. Since the smoking ban a few years ago, the amount of people smoking in public has decreased significantly. I now hardly ever see people smoking in public and when they do, they seem to get a lot of funny looks from other members of the public. Smoking is definitely a lot less socially acceptable than it was back then.
  8. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, it's really annoying when you are forced to be second hand smoker outside, especially if you are trying to quit. But I don't think that this is going to change someday, there's a lot of people doing it out there. I think that the only thing that can be done is to punish people who don't respect smoke free zones.
  9. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

My mom was actually just complaining about this the other day. She recently moved and is learning her new area. One of the things she has discovered is that no one in her new area really seems to smoke and she feels really awkward trying to find a place to smoke. There aren't really any groups of people around like she's used to.
  10. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

When I smoked I was quite embarrassed about it to be honest. If I was a bit tipsy (or drunk) I wouldn't care, but when I was sober I tried to hide away from strangers. That did make me reduce my smoking a little as sometimes the only option was to smoke out in the middle of the footpath. I hated the thought of people walking past and having to breathe in my second hand smoke - especially children. Some people who had known me for years never even knew that I smoked.

Because of that I think that social pressures can be really helpful in this instance. There are lots of people who wouldn't care, but it certainly works on me!