An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should social media be another avenue for recovery support groups?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by Damien Lee, May 18, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Forums like these are really great, they show the true potential of gathering many individuals in one place to discuss their problems. We're also at a point where social media has become a very important part of our lives, at least for those that use the internet.

While I'll never advocate that the various social media channels ever replace forums like these. Personally I feel that a forum holds far more weight and credibility than a facebook group or twitter feed. However, social media gives one the ability to connect to a far larger crowd.

Would it be feasible to setup recovery programs within the various social media outlets?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think it could be beneficial and it's feasible, although you wouldn't be able to make it a 'proper' recovery program. You could, however, offer access to recovery support via the social media outlets. I'm actually planning on doing something similar to this. I'd like to start a recovery group on Facebook, not for recovery from substance misuse but rather, recovery from being victim to narcissistic abuse. I already have a page but that's really for me to post articles, share info and have people comment on them. With a group, all members can participate and it can be either public or private.
  3. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I think it would be possible to create social groups that focus on recovery. Like Sparkster said, it shouldn't be an attempt to replace a recovery program, but any additional avenue for support can be a good thing. As long as people feel safe and comfortable, it could be a good thing. It always helps to know you're not alone.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I do feel like using social media these days is the easiest way to reach out to people. I would say the vast majority of people I know have some form of social media, whether it be Facebook, Instagram, Twitter...the list goes on. It's probably the fastest way for reaching out too, so I do think social media could be a useful addition to other more traditional forms of recovery support. I have seen things like online counseling done, where the counseling is conducted either over Skype or via a written text chat thing, so I guess it's not outside the realm of possibility at all to have a Facebook chat counseling type setup.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There's no reason why social media couldn't be used by support groups. Of course, not everyone will feel comfortable communicating with them in this way but it's good to have the option there for people who might find that doing this is easier.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

The only social media site that I use is Facebook, and that's to promote my business. I can't really see Facebook as being a good site for talking about sensitive issues like the ones that we discuss in this forum. I know that I wouldn't share my thoughts and emotions on FB as I do here. For me it's all about privacy. I wouldn't want anyone to track me down via FB and create some personal profile of me, such as a possible future employer. I like anonymity.
    Also, FB doesn'st have any specific rules. Anyone can post, and contribute whatever they want. I prefer an environment where I know beforehand that I will be dealing with a friendly, open-minded and non-judgmental community.
  7. Lizzy19ph

Lizzy19ph Member

Social media has a great impact in the daily lives of people these days so I believe that the different platforms can be great avenues to organize some support and recovery groups just like other kinds of groups we can often see on social networking sites. It can reach a wider audience for any kind of group. Facebook has settings for groups if you want the posts to be in a secret group or a private group if not open to public. The social network can have pages which can bring the readers to the actual link or site of the group, too.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I saw some recovery groups on reddit and after reading through some of the posts I knew that recovering addicts who sought motivation and support could get it there. I've seen a few such groups on Facebook but never joined them because I had a support group in RL.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think there are already support groups in the social media or using the social media. It makes them easier to reach more people as a lot of people are into social networking sites these days. Also some prefer not to go or have contact personally.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think that would be a really good idea, finally using social media for something good, instead of using it for the things it's currently being used for. I'd personally love to see a Facebook community dedicated completely to people dealing with issues like OCD, addictions or depression. Maybe it a safe place for those suffering from that, come and share their stories without fear to be judged, but instead be offered honest words of support and even proper advice.