An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should The Production/Sale of Tobacco Be Banned?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by dpaige707, Nov 11, 2014.

1. dpaige707

dpaige707 Member

Tobacco clearly kills a significant number of Americans, leading up to 450,000 premature deaths each year, and desperate measures should be taken to get rid of the habit from our lives, including, some say, banning cigarettes. Tobacco is not only affecting human lives, cigarette butts containing a multitude of chemicals are the most commonly littered item in the world, impacting the ecosystem.
  2. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Man, if only it were that easy... huge corporations have been built up solely on tobacco use. This is the main reason why I don't want any other drugs to be legal, because then one of the big tobacco companies would start producing marijuana cigarettes for mass consumption, for example, and then it would become a major health issue as well.

The problem with nicotine is that it's not as mind altering as any other addictive substance, so people can smoke tobacco while going about their regular lives. Also, since it's up to you to want to smoke or not, companies will say that making the product available does not mean forcing it on people.

As for the litter it causes, sadly, I've always thought we're going to be the cause of our own extinction. Not only because of cigarette littering, but pretty much all the pollution that we create as by-products of our way of life.

In any case, I'll give my vote for cigarette banning whenever necessary.
  3. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

I agree with you that the production and sale of tobacco should be banned. We do not see any beneficial effects can be derived from smoking. It traps people getting addicted to smoking and causes lungs cancers and other diseases. I cannot see why it should not be banned.
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Is tobacco in itself harmful? Or is it the nicotine and the other chemicals that are added to it what makes them harmful? I am wondering because in some countries, you can get pure tobacco that does not have any chemicals in it. Would it be just as addictive or is it safe to use? I would have to disagree that cigarettes are the most commonly littered item in the world because it's very rare to even see anyone in my country smoke cigarettes. When you do see someone smoking cigarettes, it's just about always someone who has come here from a western country and they are bringing their habit with them. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen any part of a cigarette on the ground.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Definitely, if marijuana is banned then tobacco should be banned too. A lot of people dies from it, as someone said above, it's the nicotine that kills you. I've heard that in England they started forbidding selling tobacco to people who were born after 2000, think about this measure, the oldest kid born after 2000 is now about 14 years and it's a very small chance that he is addicted now. If no one sells to him ever tobacco, then the rate of addicted people will go down. I think it's the best measure to be taken out there.
  6. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I'm usually wary about the government "telling" us what we can or can not do, but I think that if something is simply harmful, has no benefits, and is literally costing the country millions of dollars, than it's probably OK to ban the substance, or whatever we're talking about really. Now, it's tough because people are quick to use the "it's my body" defense, which is valid, but not comprehensive, especially when you look at the numbers and statistics it takes to treat smoking related illnesses. If not banned, I think it should certainly be controlled a lot better than it is. However, couldn't we also say the same thing about refined sugar? It's certainly addictive, harmful, and not really beneficial in any way. Thoughts?
  7. GenevB

Yeah, but if they ban cigarettes right now, think about how many people who works in this industry will be left with no job, and how many giant companies will bankrupt. After all, those companies controls the govern as they have the power of money.
  8. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

The problem always lies in the abuse of substances we know are harmful in the first place. We want to be free, we don't like being controlled, and that includes whatever we put into our bodies. Sure, tobacco related cancer kills a lot of people every year. What about the ammount of people who die of coronary diseases related to their diet? Or people starting to become diabetic from ingesting too much sugar? All the alcohol related deaths, either by illness or just drunk people at the wheel?

The law says you can't drink before turning 21. Did that ever stop you from drinking on your teenage years? Or from trying substances that are illegal? If tobacco, alcohol, sugar and fat were all banned or controlled, we would still find illegal ways of getting drunk, high or stuffed with harmful food. I'm up for banning anything that's harmful to our bodies, but then I would have to start growing grapes in my backyard to make some bootleg wine so I can have a glass with my wife at dinner.

Sadly, it's an utopia we're talking about. A society where everyone cares about each other's health, enough to turn down the massive wealth coming from the distribution of harmful substances? Not a chance. However, I still like to think like the man who sang "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."
  9. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

All this talk about banning anything is arrogance at its finest! Who are you to tell people what he or she cannot consume?! A man or woman, can wish to do whatever it is that he or she wishes to do, it is not your body and so long as he or she does not harm, injury, or wrong to another humans while on the drug(s). If a human wishes to smoke tobacco until their lungs fry the F-out, then that's their loss.

Caring isn't banning or prohibiting things, it's about awareness and being there to help those who ask, signal, or appear to need help.
  10. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

We're not being arrrogant, valiantx. We're discussing a valid point here. However, to address your point of view:

"A man or woman, can wish to do whatever it is that he or she wishes to do, it is not your body and so long as he or she does not harm, injury or wrong to another humans while on the drug(s)"

In that case, what would the point be of prohibiting people to drink before 21? Or the consumption of heroin, for example? According to your point of view, I could be 16 years old (old enough to drive and capable of breeding), and I can shoot heroin, snort coke, drink my liver out, and as long as I'm not harming anyone besides myself everything's fine? Respecfully, I don't agree with you on this one. Specially because unless you live in a cave and can pay for your addictions on your own, it's very unlikely your addictions won't harm someone else, be it family, friend or significant other.

But back to the point, what I think is a bit hypocritical of our society is to ban a list of drugs, including less harmful ones (well, depends on who you're asking), but then allow tobacco products, proved to be harmful, to be produced and distributed to anyone over the age limit, no questions asked. That's why I think tobacco sales, if not banned, should be controlled better somehow. I have to say, though, I have no idea how.

Either that or just lift all prohibitions on every addictive substance. If we can get tobacco and alcohol at Walgreen's (a pharmacy, for God's sake), why can't we just get pot or blow as well, nicely packaged while we're at it?

If there are prohibitive laws for many addictive substances, shouldn't they be the same for alcohol and tobacco as well?
  11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

I agree with Juan, companies are the backbone of an economy and some huge companies have provided huge amounts of money to Governments in the form of tax money, so the Government would be really reluctant to banning productions from these companies as that would mean, money will be loss, what they will do however, is "public campaign" and advertisements showing the negative effects of smoking, but they would never take the step to have the companies shut down, they would rather restrict smoking and implement smoking areas.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

No, I don't think selling tobacco should be banned. People who buy these are adults who can make decisions for themselves so we shouldn't feel the need to protect them like they are kids. I think banning things is not the right way to go about it. Fast food also leads many people to get obese but we don't go around saying that food should be banned. I'm very much against giving the government this much power to say what you can or cannot buy and intake or what to do with your own body. You should be the owner of your own body and thus you should have e responsibility for it.
    jbbarn likes this.
  13. Nick W.

Did it "stop" me? No. Did it seriously hinder my ability to obtain, at times? Yes.

ValiantX, I think you need to take a step back and remember that you're talking to other adults here. Your tone, and aggression level, are all wrong here. I appreciate you opinion, and respect the fact that you disagree, but lets try to keep it civil.

Juan, I agree with you on most points. I think that you make some really great points. Thanks for the great posts.

I will say this, being an adult does not automatically make you able to make smart decisions.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

There are a few things I would like to point out. We all know that nicotine is bad for your health. But the Government make a lot of money from it in the form of taxes. Then when people get sick from it, the government makes more money it from the form of health care. So the government will never ban it.

Second point I would like to make. if we wanted to ban nicotine because it bad for our health, why we just ban everything else that's bad for us, like salt and sugar? There are certain things that we have come accustomed to, and these products are part of the culture. I don't think they are going to go anywhere.

Marijuana is catching on and the government is see how much money it is bringing in. In a matter of years you will see many more states getting legalized for Marijuana usage.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Banning the production/sale of tobacco will not stop people from smoking. There are thousands of banned substances which are still smuggled in and sold by the government agencies themselves because they make huge profits.

So even if cigars were banned, smokers would still obtain them from other sources. The best way to combat the problem is by teaching kids about the negative effects tobacco [and drugs in general] from an early age and parents who smoke should also help. They never should let their kids see them do smoke and maybe after that tobacco won't be much of a problem.
  16. Nick W.

Statistically speaking, banning a drug or something does stop the usage. Now, will it stop everyone? NO. However, it does serious limit, and make it harder, for a good amount of people to do so.

I personally don't think that banning is the answer, but controlling it better is certainly needed.
  17. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I think that it's a shame that both tobacco and alcohol are considered legal. I mean, the case of tobacco is even worse, it doesn't bring any benefit, just taxes for the governments.
    Rainman and Nick W. like this.
  18. GenevB

The never-ending story, why do people still have the right to smoke tobacco? It's totally detrimental. I think that there are some psychological facts about tobacco, it helps you to get through stressful times somehow or it creates this illusion at least. This should be considered the main advantage and main reason why people smoke.
    Nick W. likes this.
  19. Nick W.

I think it might have to do with the fact that a lot of this country's wealth, especially in the south, was party because of tobacco.
  20. Martisa

Martisa Member

I think both should be banned! Especially tobacco products! They are detrimental to the health of the abuser and those around them! My Nana died from a form of smokers lung cancer and never smoked!!!
    I think we are way passed banning them at this point! So more education and control over them needs to be put in order!