An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should The Production/Sale of Tobacco Be Banned?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by dpaige707, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

It should be banned, but I do not think it will or can happen, I believe that it plays a major role in the economy, so somehow it will affect the economy in a major way, many people will loose their jobs, it is so sad.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I'm sorry to hear about your Nana dying from cancer, but let's not pass around false information either. I'm not a fan of tobacco products, and I agree that they offer no health benefits, unlike even alcohol. This of course does not cover things like asthma and cardiovascular disease, but the numbers, and thought process behind "second hand smoke" has dramatically changed from about 2008-2013.

However, recent studies (2013) have found no statistically significant relationship between lung cancer and exposure to passive smoke. A large-scale study found no clear link between secondhand smoke and lung cancer, despite numerous banning and lawsuits.

“The strongest reason to avoid passive cigarette smoke is to change societal behavior: to not live in a society where smoking is a norm,” said Dr. Jyoti Patel of Northwestern University School of Medicine.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/
    Zyni likes this.
  3. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I have the example of my father, sure, he wants to smoke, but he does it in front of everyone else, it's a mentality from the last century, I hope it stops soon.
  4. Martisa

Martisa Member

I am not passing on false information! Her doctor told us this! I'm not saying it happens often, but it can and does happen!
  5. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I'm not going to argue about it with you. If her doctor told you this, he was basing it off of old information. New studies are showing that it's simply not the case. We can only go by the information that the medical community is providing us at the moment, and right now, that's what it's saying.
  6. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

I wish it were that easy! I absolutely would say yes to the banning of tobacco industries! It kills a really big amount of people every year. A pretty scary amount of people. But as always, economical interest are in the game. It's even worse than most of the drugs that are out there.
  7. Peninha

The main issue here is that the tobacco industry represents a signficative amount of money for several companies and for the government and no one wants to lose that.
    Nick W. likes this.
  8. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I think it would be great to ban tobacco sales but the production and distribution would go to the black market. This would mean no regulation of quality, no age restrictions and more money in the pockets of dealers and gang members. Unfortunately we have already opened the can of worms and there is not much to do to stop it now.
  9. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

People are going to use tobacco no matter what. If you legalize, you can effectively regulate, which can significantly mitigate the harms associated with the drug. Prohibition doesn't work. It never has, and it never will.

Also, as a purely philosophical argument, the State has no right to tell me what I can and cannot put into my own body.
  10. MissManda

MissManda Member

Ex-smoker here, so don't think I am biased, but if you want to ban cigarettes because they are so bad, then you might as well go and ban alcohol as well since that kills a lot of people too, it also has very bad health effects and it creates a lot of drama and violence. And while you are at it, might as well go and ban fast food too! That creates obesity and that costs a lot of money in healthcare.
    See how silly it all sounds? You can't pick and choose what should be banned, if you do it for one, might as well do it for all.
    Cigarettes are no different than alcohol in my opinion, both addictive, both damaging to your heath. No one is forcing it down your throat, they are both available for purchase provided you are of legal age and they are both regulated. At least up here in Canada they are. You can only buy alcohol from a liquor store or a beer store, and cigarettes are sold in convenience stores and gas stations.
    What should be done is more advertising and promotion of the long term health affects of smoking. We used to have no warning labels on cigarette packs, now they take up I think 75% of the package. When I used to smoke, looking at those warnings really made me feel guilty for smoking. It is an effective warning label and I think we should be funding more of that, instead of just saying "lets ban this because I don't like it"
  11. CieraLashae

CieraLashae Member

Yes, I believe cigarettes should be illegal completely. Three years ago, my dad's lungs collapsed while he was working from years of cigarette smoking. Apparently, the labored at the newspaper company he worked at triggered the sudden attack. He was rushed to the emergency room and had to spend a week and a half in the hospital. The doctors were able to nurse him back to health. However, now he only has one decent lung, while his other lung is no longer useful. You would think after his experience he would had quit right away. But nope! He quit for a month and started smoking again because his addiction to nicotine and tobacco is just too strong. Hopefully he is working on quitting soon.
  12. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

What are you aiming to accomplish by making cigarettes illegal?
  13. hollysheats

hollysheats Member

I don't think there should be any ban on sales. People were smoking for a long time before us and tobacco grows naturally. I think pot should be legal as well. If all companies stopped selling, people would just go straight to the farmers and buy the tobacco and smoke anyway.
  14. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I shouldn't reopen this debate after it hasn't been seen for more than a month, but I've been away for a while and seeing so many different opinions on the matter made me rethink the whole purpose of this thread.

The thread was named "Should the production sale of tobacco be banned?", but I think it started to become a discusion on all legal harmful substances.

It would seem that we, as individuals (and I'm including myself here), wouldn't have any problem with the banning of a substance that we have experienced to be harmful or that has been fatal to someone close to us, but when you start to think about every harmful substance that we consume every single day, should those be banned as well? That's when the whole idea of banning starts to become silly, specially because my triple chocolate fudge cake hasn't really harmed anyone, has it?

But on the other hand, thinking that a harmful substance should be banned is not entirely illogical. When you have dealt with addiction of have had someone close in your family slowly spiraling towards their premature death because of addiction to a legal substance, then you have seen and experienced the harmful effects of said substance. Then you start questioning "Why do we do this to ourselves?", and then "Why do they make this product available if it's so harmful?", and then the inevitable "This product should be banned!".

I don't think human beings in general have proven themselves to be responsible enough to handle the availability of harmful substances. Or anything harmful, for that matter. A gun is as harmful as the person who carries it. The same goes for a car, if the driver's DUI. It's not only how these things are harmful to us, but also how harmful our usage is to everyone else. I could go on and on with examples, but this is too long already.

It's hard to say what the right course of action should be. If it was me calling the shots, even though I still think some products should just be banned. I would at least try to control the availability of all the harmful substances, and enforce education so that the next generation doesn't make the same mistakes we did. In my opinion, age restriction is useless. Most people I know (myself included) started doing legal and/or illegal substances before legal age.

As for freedom, while I think everyone should be free to do whatever they want, laws exist to try to protect us from our own stupidity. And that's why murder, theft, rape, and drugs, among other things, are illegal. If murder wasn't illegal, for example, then everyone would be free to kill each other for any reason, or just over any minor disagreement (and yet, wars have been fought exactly on that premise).

This thread has been a great read. Many interesting and enlightening opinions. That's what a good forum should be about.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Not really banned. But they should stop selling tobacco to underage people (yes, this happens). Cigarettes are not as bad as drugs, and you can quit a lot easier. Also, smoking will never be banned, because almost every adult smokes nowadays and it would be a big hit, for both smokers and producers.
  16. Abo Nights

Abo Nights Member

I agree with tons of the posts above, mentioning the idea that tobacco should be banned for underage people. Young people and high school students tend to feel pressured by their friends who smoke. Still, I don't think the sale of tobacco to youngsters isn't completely avoidable.
  17. Peninha

The fact is that both cigarettes and coffee are drugs, but socially accepted ones. Alcohol as well. What happens when we remove the drug from an addict? Right... We are all addicts.
  18. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I don't think it should be sold at all but the reality of the situation is that it's a huge, huge industry with people that have a lot of money backing it and unfortunately that does stop laws and bans and such from happening. It is extremely bad for your health and it literally kills people--any other drug that did that wouldn't make it now, it's only because it's such an old industry.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

As a non smoker and have lung issues, it will be great if tobacco production and sale will be banned. Right that it will benefit everyone since it will be helpful for the environment. But I think it is quit impossible to total ban it since there is a very large industry from it.
  20. Peninha

That is so right zaerine and who says tobacco says quite a few other substances that only benefit the pockets of some while others pay with their health.