An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should We Encourage Safe Practice?

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by bluedressed, Jan 16, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I know, the ideal solution would be to have everybody quitting drugs, especially such hard ones as heroin. However, it seems that the criminalization leads to very unsafe practices and the users, because of this, don't get a chance to quit properly many times, as their lives fall in shambles and they catch AIDS or other viruses. It is also very unsafe for our kids to walk in parks if the addicts could have left needles around.

I would prefer that we would have safe centers where the addicts could come and get safe materials to shoot rather than infected needles. It feels like it would save a lot of lives, and I don't think it would be encouraging drug users to use, or that it would promote drugs; the way I see it, it would just make sure that they would have a safe place to go and people who want to reach them and help them out could do that with better resources. They could be found, instead of being lost hiding.
    AFKATafcar likes this.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Your idea has some merits, no doubt about that. Overall, however, I think implementing such safe centers would be a negative thing. It's hard to judge whether or not people would take the centers seriously, and others would see them as promoting drug use rather than trying to curb it. It's not a bad proposal, but I see a lot going wrong with the idea in practice, including things that you might not think of right away.
  3. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I have heard that there are places in New york that take used needles in exchange for new ones, a needle exchange program, Don't know how effective it is though.
  4. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

Before reading the rest of the thread to see if they're saying the same thing I'm about to say, I'll just say that this has already been done. Also, without looking it up, they might be doing it now. I remember seeing a news report on a program that did this but don't remember anything past the debate of whether it was good or bad to have them.

And actually, as the response to this post suggests, there are a lot of bad ideas as well as good that come out of this which can only be handled by the power or the tug of the law. It redefines what we consider to be morally right or wrong as it continues and really, it's impossible to manage because of the potency of the drug. Were it not for that, we might be able to weigh more on the side that these programs are doing good rather than creating more addicts.
  5. JonMark

All of this is true. I can't help but think of how flawed we actually are as humans where we have fears, doubt and impulses that can only be controlled through indoctrination or the rule of law. As I said before, the power of the narcotic in this case trumps everything else. I mean, what's going to get someone who's afraid of needles over that fear but the power of the addiction? Nothing else matters at that point.
  6. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Implementing heroin safe centers would have way too many negative consequences. Here's a big reason, it implies that heroin is safe. Heroin is an awful drug that ruins many people's lives, even if they don't get infected with HIV. The last thing we need is for kids to wrongfully believe that since there are heroin centers left and right, heroin is safe.
    I do agree that we should stop seeing heroin users as awful criminals and start seeing them as people who need help, but this is not the way to go about it.
    JonMark likes this.
  7. JonMark

I generally like to play devil's advocate in stuff like this but won't do it because I can't find anything to disagree with here. Not criminalizing is one step in the right direction. It reminds me of a report I read where a store owner or someone like that had someone o.d. in their restroom. When he called 911 they said they were send police and he said no, send an ambulance but no cops. If you send cops there will be trouble. The dude took a stand and lo and behold, no cops were sent.
  8. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

You all raise very valid points, and they are points that I usually would make myself (because I do feel scared of the effects drugs have).

Also, I know the initiative has been tested and is used in different cities across the world, and the results do not indicate a great leap, since addicts don't stop using in the streets.

However -- and this has shown to be even more controversial -- I've read this article about how Switzerland decided to give free heroin to people who have failed to quit, no matter the rehabs they had. Opposition is much against it, on the grounds that it normalizes the use, but the users have confessed that without it, they probably would be dead from the streets already and that they enjoy not having to steal or to prostitute themselves and lie for the next fix. The center itself is glad to have a chance to transform this encounter into the beginning of a treatment.
  9. JonMark

This is all so very strange. It saves some lives but no one can control it when they overdose which is cause by too much heroin. Of course all of this points to what? That people are working on trying to come up with better solutions to these problems. The issue now becomes, what is the problem anyway? These lines appear to be blurred.
  10. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Yeah, there are some places that accepted safe usage, but I think it can just escalate to quickly
  11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I agree with a few points made here. However, it is immensely difficult to practice 'safe usage' when you are unaware of what it is that you are buying. Did you cut it yourself? I highly doubt that.

Now, if you wanted to have a discussion about legalization that would be a different story. This 'safe usage' idea opens so m any cans of worms that it would be hard NOT to fish.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's what's ironic here. Rehab centers are no different from prison cells. They look worn down and badly in need of care. Just because they are dumping places for "social deviants," that does not mean they have to look as dirty as a rat's house. One of the reasons why recovery seems to lag is the environment itself. The state should allocate enough budget for ensuring rehab centers are clean (I'd say the same for non-profit organizations) and hire personnel who can spearhead a clear-cut cleanliness policy.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well this is kind of an interesting idea. I mean certain things like this are used in other countries and they don't have problems with it. A 14 year old can drink alcohol in public in Puerto Rico and they don't have the drinking/driving problems we have here. Smoking hash in a public bar in other countries. I think it is better not to restrict things. The moment you tell people they can't do something, it's illegal, it might kill you or whatever. The do it recklessly. I mean come on prescription drug abuse is huge and legal if you have a script. What is the point of anything being illegal? Mind altering addictive drugs; try too much benadryl over the counter & see if you feel the rage from that. Chemical drugs that are legal. Natural plant drugs that are illegal. Does this make sense? I tend to think it is a good idea. People are going to do it when you tell them not to anyway.