An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should you avoid drinking around drug abusing friends?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Zyni, Nov 1, 2014.

1. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I affirm your discomfort about drinking around people who are drug users. For one, they can just be finding a reason for them to indulge in their own vice when you are hanging out with them. They think you're both okay with it. You enjoy your own pastime, we leisurely get high on ours. No problem. Everybody happy!

Secondly, in case you get drunk, and he's high as well, you will not be in total control of the situation. You may even have the drug for yourself! And the other way around!

That can bring you to the next predicament of having both of you get hooked on each other's addiction.
  2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I think you can drink around addicts after a certain length of time. I think it all depends on their mental state. Their are plenty of recovering addicts who have been able to function in society perfectly fine. They are able to turn down the drugs and alcohol that they used to partake in. Some just aren't mentally strong enough to do so, though. And it will become apparent if that is the case.
  3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

That is a very good question. All I know is I have a friend who is an ex meth addict. Her third time getting caught with drugs was the last time she touched the stuff two years ago. She told me that she quit meth but started drinking for a year once and then started hard core drinking. Then it was not enough and it led her back to meth.

I think it depends on the individual or the addiction or both. However, it is best to talk with them on it and find out for sure their feels on the issue. If they say, yes it bothers me... then don't drink around them.
  4. dejanee22

dejanee22 Member

I personally believe that if you know a behavior can possibly stumble a friend it would be better not to do so. I would not participate in drinking in front of a friend that had a substance abuse problem. There will be other opportunities to have a drink.
  5. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I think that if alcohol is not what your friend had been abusing, that it should not be a problem. I don't think that having a drink would trigger him to want to do the drug that he is/was addicted to. Now, if alcohol was his problem, I would say not to do it because you wouldn't want it to tempt him.
  6. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

I do not think that it is right to indulge in anything around someone that is just recovering from an addiction the thing is sometimes they may feel that by seeing you indulge in something then they have permission to indulge as well and for me I just feel like it is wrong to do so it is something that I just like to avoid.
  7. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

You're right - the ultimate decision is the persons. I understand not putting a person into a bad situation but I think a large amount of responsibility lies with the person. They can't always blame the trigger. I say this as a person who has a buddy who has blamed everything from the holidays and parties to a cold beer at the Braves game for a hitting drugs and alcohol with a vengeance again and eventually a DUI and public drunk arrest.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I do have friends that are recovering drug addicts. Part of their sobriety is that they keep all forms of drugs and alcohol away from them. So because I know that, I support what they are trying to do, so I don't drink in front of them.
  9. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

Yeah, it all depends on the type of person you are. If you succumb very easily to peer pressure, you might aswell drink alone or find other friends. But if you strength of will is strong, you should have no problem while hanging around your friends. Also remember not to drink so much, when drunk, you can do stuff you'd never do while in state of sobriety.
  10. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I believe that it is important not to drink when you are around someone who has a problem with drug abuse. Even though alcohol is not their drug of choice, they may somehow feel that it is okay if you are drinking for them to use drugs to feel good too. Furthermore, they may end up drinking too much leading to craving of drugs to get higher. We have some sort of power to influence the people around us.
  11. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

I feel the same way as you do...even if it is not their worst trigger, I just feel like it might not be the best thing to do. I'm not that inclined to drink very often anyway, and it's certainly not a hassle for me to avoid drinking in the presence of certain people.
  12. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

If you sincerely want to respect your friend's efforts. Here is another approach - following your friend's lead. When the waitress asks if you want any thing to drink, let them have the lead hopefully the answer is coffee, water or even no and you can follow that lead. If it is just the two of you choose to sit at a table or booth instead of the bar.
  13. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

It's better to avoid altogether. At least it is for me. A lot of people I know who have a hard time kicking their own habits have issues with the word moderation. Often, all it takes is seeing other people indulging and they'll tell themselves, oh just one isn't bad. Or it's just alcohol and not meth/other drugs. But that's often the road to another relapse.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It is known that drinking can severely influence people around you, so better not do it. Only if you know that person has enough willpower not to get tempted by alcoholic beverage of any kind. It's better this way, trust me.
  15. aquariancore

aquariancore Member

The main hangup for people with an addiction history is people who feel it's ok to drink or do drugs around them. It represents a huge temptation and strain on the recovered person. I have watched many suffer slips and setbacks because of these occurrences.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Maybe a good talk will do. Anything that reminds the friend in question of substance abuse should be prohibited, so alcohol and cigarettes should never be mentioned or displayed during your time together. For people in such a tight situation, they'd find it more relieving to to tell someone they trust about their drug abuse problems. So be ready to lend an ear. You may not realize it, but it matters a great deal to them.
  17. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

It probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. You could trigger the addiction of someone around you. Not to mention, being drunk around drug addicts could lead to dangerous situations.
  18. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

Well, there are different ways of enjoying alcohol, I think that as long as your not drinking heavily and you're just having a nice social drink, there shouldn't be any issues caused by this.
    If your friend uses it as an excuse to fall into his addiction, then he's just looking for an excuse to do so and you're not really the deciding agent there...
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think moderation is needed, and if done in a casual basis will be alright as will be in control and if person is looking for excuse need to be careful. Some people may have hard time overcoming this addiction and being in company of those doing it will be worse. I think being around drug abusing friends is not the best thing to do, as this can cause problems and make them choose bad choices and you could get affected too.
  20. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

If I knew my friend had a problem then yes I would make all efforts to avoid drinking or doing anything of the like in front of him or her. Since drinking is not a huge part of my life anyway it really would not be an inconvenience. And if I needed a drink or two to really relax and enjoy the party then I still would not do it around my friend. There will always be another party or other friends to do it around.