An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should You Relapse . . .

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rainman, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

This is the time of the year when many recovering addicts relapse. It's easy for most people to convince themselves that using drugs for only one day may not be that bad. They are wrong.

Should give in to temptation and decide to use some drug in your New Year's celebrations, seek help immediately after because this would save you from going right back where you started.

All the best!
    kassie1234 and Apollo545 like this.
  2. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Very true. If you feel the urge to relapse for whatever reason, please take your mind off it immediately. I promise you that after you do indulge in your addiction, coming off it will be twice as hard as it was before you took it. Starting all over is such a waste of time and if you feel like you are going to relapse, please call a friend or a help line. We all want to see you at your best so please stay strong!
    Rainman likes this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think relapse is part of the journey towards recovery. People who have relapsed along the way should not feel discouraged about standing up once again, and taking another shot at recovery. In order for them to be successful this time around, I agree with you, they should seek help right away.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't think you should use drugs only once and not expect to relapse. Having a drink or something might not be so bad, if you can control yourself. On the other hand if you think you'll relapse into an addiction you should avoid it all together. Never do anything that will compromise your over all sobriety. Happy new year.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Don't put yourself in a situation you don't want to be in. You can't stop others from using but you can stop yourself. Know what your triggers are so even if you relapse maybe it won't be as big of a shock.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I have a friend who after being sober for two years thought he could have a beer at a friend's party and that's how he started drinking. He didn't seek help when he relapsed and instead continued to drink regularly from then on. Since then he has never tried to fight his addiction. He feels guilty for having given in and because he believes that he's weak, he's never tried to fight his addiction again.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think a big part of the relapsing is the loneliness that comes with or after the holiday season. Some people don't have loved ones nearby or may not even have a close network of people to spend time with - or if they do, they may all dissipate after the Christmas/New Year season is over. I absolutely agree with seeking help as soon as you stumble - easier to be helped up from a stumble than a terrible fall!
  8. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

This is very essential. The only way to ensure that you do not relapse is not to entertain any thought about drugs at all. Immediately you notice your thoughts drifting to what you are addicted to, get out of it. Go out or go for some sort of exercise. Do something that would definitely distract you. Just make sure you don't dwell on it.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think that when a former addict relapses, it's not the end or even a lost of the battle against drugs. It's just a rock on the road or a hiccup along the way, you can get over it. Do not think that when you relapse, it's over. No, it is not, you can still continue on to the journey of healing and recovery. Seek help immediately and be positive. If you have done it before, you can surely do it again now.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Your right and I think the Christmas and new year period is the hardest for a lot of recovering addicts.

If a person does relapse though, aswell as getting help, they also need to try and not get to down about what's happened and move forward with their life.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I know what you mean, I've seen a lot of people relapsing right at New Year's Eve and they didn't really care that much, but essentially all the progress beforehand is gone. Never give in, you're always stronger than you think you are! You can do it, everyone posesses an enormous amount of power that we sadly aren't aware of!
  12. pwarbi

The holidays are a difficult time and in a way, a relapse then, isn't as bad as a relapse at another time.

I'm not saying that Christmas, or new years eve is an excuse to relapse, I'm just saying that for a lot of people the temptation then is more than they can handle and that's not something to be ashamed about.
  13. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Yes you should always make sure that you seek help as soon as possible, as this is the best way to make sure that your issue doesn't get any worse than it really has to be. If you do relapse there is lots of help out there for you, and there are plenty of people who would like to help you through your journey.
  14. pwarbi

After a relapse, I think people do take it too seriously and are afraid or even ashamed to get the help that's available.

A relapse is still looked on as a failure but that's not the case at all. Everybody will relapse because giving up isn't easy, it's all just part of the process.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, its funny how some people would associate New Year's as being a time to even think about something like that. I guess maybe because the majority party on that night. I've mostly even avoided alcohol on that night because its loaded with cops just looking to catch somebody. I've worked on New Year's Eve for many years. Its been nice to have it off.
    Its kind of sad that our society associates celebrating a New Year with things that destroy you. Well I'm not subscribing to that anymore. I don't know why but to me its just another day. Ok so we change to a new year, 2016. I saw this girl in the gym with 2019 on the back of her shirt. High school student I guess. Now that's an eye opener cause the next year will be 2020; THAT will be a big one. It will be like prince and the song "Party like its 1999". He released that in 1982, which I just realized.
    pwarbi likes this.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think that you need to stay away from those type of events, parties and what not that may be loaded with alcohol. Not all parties and events around the holidays feature alcohol, and those might be the ones to go to. I recently went to a Christmas party and there was a little alcohol there, but I saw few people drinking. It was a sort of bring your own affair.
  17. pwarbi

Sometimes it is hard though to stay away from parties or social events completely though, and while it might be better for you, there is a chance of alienating yourself from your friends and family, especially if they don't know your circumstances.

If you can, maybe just shows up but drive, that way you've got a ready made excuse not to drink, at least that way you'll be able to avoid any awkward questions as to why your not drinking, and if need be, you'll also have a reason to leave early.