An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Showing Support for Those Who are Sober

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by Carrie, Oct 31, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If you can't say it then give a Hallmark card. I've done that before. I'm not the kind of person that wears his emotions on his sleeve. I mean well, but sometimes I write down my feelings better than I do verbally.
  2. snlich

snlich Member

It may sound shallow, but the constant reminder "of how awesome they are doing" is a fine line to walk.

On one had, I love hearing people support me, on the other sometimes it gets annoying.

It is important to let these people know that if THEY need something, they need to bring it up. But it doesnt hurt to check in once in a while
  3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

It can be incredibly awkward sometimes when you are unsure of the right thing to say when someone tells you they are in recovery. Whatever message you choose to extend just make sure it is full of encouragement and well wishes for their journey.
  4. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'm surrounded by alcohol. I've learned i really have no support here where I live. I am my on support at this point. I really just have to keep my eye on the prize which is a wonderful life that I'm in control of. These people out here just keep on getting drunk or high, and lot of the time both. I just take a deep breath, and smile. Because its not me anymore. I just stay home, and hear the gossip. When someone has a wreck gets in a fight goes to jail. They were out drinking when it happened ever single time.
  5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I think that a good way to show support is if you're out with a friend in a place where there are people drinking, you shouldn't drink along with them. Don't make them feel bad or awkward about it. Or don't invite that person somewhere that is going to have a lot of people who are drinking!
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'd also like to add that another good way to show support is to just talk to them about their life. I think former addicts rarely have anyone who they can relate to or even just talk to because usually their stories that lead up to the addiction are too odd but even someone who can't relate but knows how to listen helps a lot.
  7. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

I think it's enough to recognize it- acknowledge their progress and how impressed you are, just hearing someone else acknowledge their challenges and their strength could be very meaningful.
  8. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

I would just tell them. I think that would get to the heart of the matter. Just say how you feel and let them know that you and other people appreciate them for sorting themselves out. It takes a lot for people to learn from mistakes, but when it happens, it rubs off on people.