An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

'Shrooms

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by diprod, Jan 3, 2015.

  1. diprod

    diprod Active Contributor

    Can anyone tell me if shrooms or magic mushrooms could be fatal? All I know is that it is not exactly addictive. But I wonder if it is dangerous that it could be life-threatening? I have a friend who uses it and he keeps saying he is glad to have made it back whenever he trips with it.
  2. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    Yes, 'magic' mushrooms can be potentially life-threatening and damaging to the health depending on what type of magic mushrooms it is that your friend is consuming. In some parts of the world there are different types of magic mushrooms whereas in the UK there is only one type. The ones that grow in the UK are usually relatively safe. However, 'death caps' also grow amongst them and look very similar and can kill a person if consumed. If the mushrooms your friend consumes are the same as those in the UK then they will always come down after their trip. That's assuming they don't hallucinate so much that they believe they are invincible or believe that they can fly, etc. When my father was a teenager one of his friends went swimming whilst tripping thinking that they were a fish and ended up drowning. 40 years later my father still has a fear of water because of that incident.
  3. morganmar33

    morganmar33 Member

    I did some research. Shrooms are impossible to overdose on. They can be fatal though. They grow in dark, wet places. This is a perfect breeding ground for black mold. The black mold can be almost indistinguishable from any other spots on the mushroom. Ingesting black mold is extremely hazardous and potentially fatal. Also, as Sparkster indicated fatal accidents have been reported due to the "trip" causing hallucinations.
  4. Charli

    Charli Community Champion

    I'm guessing that some forms of mushrooms can be poisonous or fatal but as far as the psychedelic types go, as long as you stick with the known types then it's probably safe enough. The only problem would be that all people have different compositions and they probably have different tolerance levels so for others the trip might be more enhanced.
  5. juliaintheclouds

    juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

    I think all other dangers aside (those mentioned above) I have read that you would have to eat your body weight in shrooms to overdose. They are generally considered quite safe to take in small doses if you buy them from a reputable person that you trust. One rule of thumb for taking shrooms is that if a group of you are going to do it you should have one sober person around as a sort of babysitter just to make sure no one does anything stupid.
  6. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    Man, I would feel sorry for whoever is nominated as the supervisor - everyone else will be on another planet and they would be sober. Surely, that can't be an easy thing to handle? lol. It's bad enough being in the company of drunk or stoned people when you're sober.
  7. juliaintheclouds

    juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

    I agree, I wouldn't want to be the designated babysitter, I can't imagine what it would be like to be around a bunch of people tripping if I wasn't and I admit I have never taken that advice. For people who want to try but have fears I think this is a good idea. Honestly I have never felt out of control when on shrooms, but I have also never done a crazy amount.
  8. zaerine

    zaerine Community Champion

    I am not familiar with it but I am aware that there are poisonous types of mushrooms. I have heard in the news before that some died already for eating certain type of mushrooms as they thought it was edible.
  9. karmaskeeper

    karmaskeeper Community Champion

    I'm sorry to laugh, but when I read your post it was to funny. I could only have pitty on the poor person that had to watch over that group. Being around drunks and being sober will bring a person to tears.
  10. missbishi

    missbishi Community Champion

    The mushrooms themselves are not hazardous. The dangers lie in picking the wrong mushrooms by mistake or doing something really stupid when you are tripping. I have eaten magic mushrooms on a few occasions but never experienced any adverse effects.
  11. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    Many years ago I took some 'magic mushrooms' and experienced adverse side effects. There were definitely no death caps or anything like that in there because I had checked through them myself. I did get a bit of a buzz off them but after a couple of hours when I thought I had returned to normal, I collapsed in my mother-in-law's kitchen and felt like my body was shutting down. It literally felt like my body was shutting down and I lost all control over it. They had to come and help me up. For a moment, I thought I was going to die. I have no idea to this day what caused it.
  12. karmaskeeper

    karmaskeeper Community Champion

    I have never had any first hand experience with mushrooms. Other then eating the ones we buy from the store. I live in the country, and have heard that people find them out in pastures under cow patties. They use them to get high or trip.
  13. matt1rl

    matt1rl Member

    I would not condone the use of any drug, especially one like this. It is very dangerous. I know some people enjoy being on the "trip" but this can be very bad and unsafe. You hear stories far to often about people having died in accidents, like drowning, when using hallucinatory drugs.
  14. Rob93FL

    Rob93FL Senior Contributor

    Do you know what species and how many grams you ingested? You more than likely ate more than you thought you did and ended up having a bad trip.

    Being a tripsitter isn't bad at all. As long as the people eating the mushrooms are careful about the dose and their mindset, it'll be a smooth ride.
  15. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    If I remember correctly, we made coffee with it but we really didn't have that many mushrooms. I did start feeling a bit sick an hour or so before this happened and tried to eat some food to settle my stomach but I couldn't finish it. I suppose there is the possibility of it being a bad trip, or perhaps the result of a bad trip.

    I guess being a "tripsitter" could be a laugh in you're in the right frame of mind. Watching a load of people having a group hallucination would be quite entertaining.
  16. Determined2014

    Determined2014 Senior Contributor

    Yes indeed , black mold can be very fatal,this trips do seem to have very strong hallucinations,coming to the conclusion that shrooms can be fatal.
  17. Nergaahl

    Nergaahl Community Champion

    I think the "trips" could provoke several traumas in some cases. Just like LSD, mushrooms work with your mind and change your thinking patterns, giving you hallucinations. And these could be fatal.
  18. OhioTom76

    OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

    About 15 years ago, I was dating a guy who bought a huge brick size package of shrooms at a dirt cheap price - it was such a good deal he couldn't pass it up. I think he only paid like $80 for the whole brick worth of them, which is nuts because I would usually pay like $34-$40 for a small baggie of them.

    Anyhow, needless to say, we spent nearly the entire summer tripping on them, usually several times a week. I was kind of not as into him as he was in me, so most nights I didn't want to fool around with him, so I was I guess using the tripping as a means of avoiding it because we would be too messed up to do anything.

    Anyhow, aside from being pretty run down and disoriented after the highs wore off, I never felt like I was ever in any life threatening situation from "overdosing" on them. There were just some times where I would have a really bad trip, and be totally miserable the whole time, that's about it.

    For example, I couldn't stand being in crowded bars when I was on it, I felt like everyone was staring at me and knew I was acting odd and not being myself.

    Obviously you should never ever get behind the wheel of a car when on that stuff - it's even more insane than driving drunk. And as others noted, always have at least one person with you who is not on them to keep you out of trouble.
  19. RingoBerry

    RingoBerry Senior Contributor

    I knew I saw a documentary about magic mushrooms before.
  20. oraclemay

    oraclemay Community Champion

    Taking these mushrooms can be extremely dangerous as the tripping can be extreme. I cannot ever recommend any form of magic mushrooms for recreational purposes. People need to realise that they must guard and protect their minds and sanity.