New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Signs of Crack/ Cocaine use

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by letitherobe, Jun 22, 2015.

1. letitherobe

letitherobe Member

What are the physical signs that someone is using crack cocaine? Is it normal to sleep for more than 12 hours? I THINK my uncle is using it. But without knowledge I'm not totally sure.

Can someone tell me some things that show a person uses?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Crack/cocaine is a stimulant
    Crack is cocaine that has not been neutralised by an acid to make the hydrochlorida salt. This form of cocaine comes in a rock crystal that can be heated and its vapors smoked. The term "crack" comes from the crackling sound made when it is heated.

The immediate effects of Crack/cocaine can be;
    - Exhilaration, anxiety, increased body temerature and heartrate, reduced hunger, panic, indifference to pain, sweating, enlarged pupils, increased sexual arousal, reduced concentration, increased confidence, unprredictable behaviour.
    Larger doses
    - Agitation, paranoia, hallucintions, dizziness, nause/vomiting, tremors, heart attack/pain, irregular breathing, reduced co-ordination and motivation, possible psychosis.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

the first thing is paranoia....Bad paranoia. Maybe some burns on the hands from using pipes. I had a boyfriend that used it and I didn't know until he started seeing people following him and seeing large tv screens on the wall that were not there. And yes after a person comes down off of a binge they will be very tired.
    rightct likes this.
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

Weight loss, always broke, not telling the truth. strange
    behavior(paranoid) A lady friend of mine is on crack. eyes
    wide open.
  5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

My ex-son-in-law was on crack for some time. He lost his beautiful wife, and three kids. Two very pretty girls and a son, they're all teen-agers now and haven't don't care to see him. They have a new dad now that loves them, they call him dad, the girls have never seen their real father. He's forgotten.
    In the meantime, he has had thee girlfriends die from drugs and he's od'ed once, spends most of the time in jail. He slept for three days at a time, never ate. He went from 260 and was pressing 350 pounds to a weak 140 and can't tie his own shoes.

I could go on but it's a sad story, we're waiting for him to Od so w can erase this part of our history, isn't that sad?
  6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

sleeping need of a person depends on age, profession, health status and climatic conditions.
    sleeping 6--12 hours is normal.

It's true that when it's beyond 12 hours something might be wrong. But you'll need more than that alone to prove crack use.
    True concern likes this.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Crack users become paranoid and easily panicked. And sleeping 12 hours is normal, at least nowadays people become so tired that when they get the occasion they sleep as much as they can. Sleeping more than being awake is a bad sign though.
    True concern likes this.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I often sleep 12 hours when I'm really tired and I'm not using crack, so I'd say that sleeping isn't something that you should consider in this case.
    Crack users are very paranoid, quick and jump at little things. They also tend to isolate themselves from the outside world and spend time alone.
    True concern likes this.
  9. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I completely agree. This is probably the most straightforward symptom to look out for if we have someone who's currently addicted to a substance, but don't take it for granted though... paranoia can be triggered by lots of other substances such as the gateway drug marijuana, for example...
  10. Kessen

Kessen Member

One thing to look out for is if he is going places at odd times of the day. I saw a thing on T.V. that said addiction doesn't work on a 9-5 schedule and if someone is going out somewhere at 2 a.m. it is likely to score drugs or settle some kind of other addiction.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sleeping 12 hours? This is not crack cocaine. Maybe he sleeps 2 minutes and lays there trying to sleep. A symptom would be someone who obsessively is preoccupied with a person who has broken it off with them 10 years ago and they stalk them. Even in an online forum. A guy that can't stay awake during sex is probably on heroin. Lol. Twelve hours maybe they are trying to get some quality sleep and just fell asleep at 10 am. Come on now.
    You should worry about yourself. An uncle is old enough and should actually be able to live his life the way he wants. You can't get paranoid about someone's sleep patterns in thinking they are on a drug. Live and let live.
    People ramble on about how it's always if you care about someone you will do something about it. People admit their problems eventually and seek help, if there is a problem.
    True concern likes this.
  12. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

Well, just from my personal experience:
    1. Agitation. The person can't sit still. Maybe they take on a big project like painting a room, or they go out driving around, or maybe they take a second (or third) job.
    2. Weight loss. This pretty much speaks for itself. People using coke don't really eat, so it's not uncommon for them to drop 10 or 15 pounds in a month or two.
    3. They get secretive. They go out for hours, and won't talk about where they were. They spend a lot of time alone, or lock themselves in the bedroom.
    4. They suddenly have no money. Even though they should. Where is it all going?
    5. Sudden, violent personality changes. They will get super angry with little warning or provocation. They can be physically violent.
    6. Paranoia. They think people are conspiring against them, trying to get them in trouble, trying to take them down.
    7. Sleeping a lot more than normal. Once they come down from the coke high, it's not unusual for them to sleep for 12, 18, even 24 hours.

Sorry, that got a little long haha.
    True concern likes this.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

A person can hide things from other people and this leads to them suffering even more and also the person tends to have money issues and not knowing where it goes which can lead to them getting frustrated in the process. It can make a person look like they have a look of a person who is stressed out, and also depressed in the process which can cause the person to have problems. I reckon that cocaine can cause tensions to arise and disruptions in the process which can make a person have big problems in their day to day life.
  14. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

The biggest signs you could probably see is the paranoia and weight loss. Those who use crack don't tend to eat too much food, and lose significant amount of weight. Paranoia is another, in which the person acts strange. they believe someone is there, and working against them. kind of a "trying to take me down" thing.
  15. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Here's an infographic I found on Narcoon.org:
    [​IMG]
  16. Hquinjr

Hquinjr Member

Anyone who uses drugs and i think crack especially can act completely different than another persons on crack. Ive seen people high on it and u can barely tell and someone else completely paranoid. They can be fat or skinny. Sleep all the time or not at all. It completely depends on the person.
    Dominica likes this.
  17. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Marijuana is not "The" gateway drug it's "Alcohol" in my opinion
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  18. True concern

Oh that is to funny..."If a person fall's asleep during sex he is probably on heroin "I'm sad to say I have done this " Not" on heroin but I was a wake about 5 day's on meth and after the "Fireworks" I was snoring before I could remove myself from the top of my girlfriend at the time....quite embarrassing but humorous now 20+ year's later
  19. True concern

Ya that's very sad because though it took me along time I have gotten sober while other's waited for my death.I understand it but at the same time I think it's messed up.Why not try a intervention. That's all I wanted was to see my family loved me,I never got that but got sober through the Lord and with the support of the wonderful people on this site
  20. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Truer words were never spoken!!!!
    True concern likes this.