An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sip Cold Water

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by juno, Feb 27, 2015.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

Apparently sipping cold water through a straw can help replace the act of sucking on a cigarette. It also releases dopamine, a feel-good brain chemical that can help ease bad moods. This is based on research, not just personal experience. Also, since a lot of us using smoking to suppress our appetite, aating small meals can also help you get past the urge to smoke. Choose lean, healthy foods to avoid weight gain.
  2. serpes

serpes Member

Many things can help replace the act of smoking a cigarette. With the help of these acts we try to defeat our biggest enemy in this battle: our brain. But the most important thing in my opinion is the will to quit. We can try all sort of tricks. If we do not want to quit and we do not fight for it we will not succeed.
    oleskool likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There is lots of tips and tricks to help people to cope with stopping, some medically proven and others are just whatever works best for the individual. I think a lot depends on finding what works best for you, but it's also important not to replace one addiction with another.
    Sipping cold water through a straw seems harmless enough though and like I said whatever works then use it.
  4. oleskool

oleskool Member

I have often thought that if a person really wanted to stop smoking they would at what ever the cost. If something as simple as sipping coldwater through a straw to help you accomplish that goal is something I would go for if I was a smoker. Great tip.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Replacing cigarettes with something positive is good and also will get the person away from harming their body and also it will get them on a positive road. This could be a good way or drinking fruit juice or even wheatgrass and that is healthy too and may take time to getting used to the change for the person in the first few weeks. I reckon with motivation and also, if a person wants to change they can if they have a positive influence in their life.
  6. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

That is actually interesting information on how to quit smoking cigarettes. I never knew that drinking cold water through a straw can actually help people get over smoking cigarettes. Also by it releasing dopamine to help bad moods is something that I need because I am a very moody guy. I am a cancer so what can I say. We are moody people. I am going to do some more research on this because I love water. If drinking water through a straw can help me quit smoking and also help my bad moods, I am all for it.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've never heard of this, thanks for sharing. I actually so drink water sometimes to replace cigarettes when I get the urge but now that I think about it a straw would actually be more pleasant for this. I'm going to have to give it a go and try to be more disciplined with it so I can really know if it is working.
  8. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

Just doing something with your hands as well also helps reduce smoking. If they're doing something, they can't hold a cig, and so you can't smoke. But sucking liquid through a straw seems to be a good idea. It emulates the sucking of a cigarette without any actual nicotine consumption.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

You're right. A part of the addiction to cigarettes also has to do with having some sort of fixation or having something to do with your hands and if you keep them busy then there's less of a chance of craving. It also helps that most activities necessitate using your mind to focus too and thus distracting you long enough to get over the craving.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Drinking cold water did supreme my urges to smoke when I first quit, so did drinking piping hot tea. I think both extremes require you to sip the beverage and not just chug it down, so it gives you something to do to replace the act of smoking. I actually started to crave ice cold water once I quit smoking as it tastes so good
  11. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

That's a good idea. Sipping on cold water through a straw. This makes sense and readily appeals to me. Well, I would like to replace normal water with Alpine spring water (chilled of course) to address tobacco cravings. It's more fulfilling I guess.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't see how sipping water through a straw will help. But if there is scientific data to prove it, then I guess it is an option.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, if I did that, I'd probably dry a river sucking on a little straw before I finally quit smoking. I don't think that would work for me at all. I tryed other things, like chewing gum, or sucking on hard candy. But none of that ever really work for me. What did help to cut down on my smokes was trying to smoke every certain amount of time. I would tell myself I wouldn't smoke for the next three hours, and I'd spend a week doing that. Then I'd turn it up a notch and not smoke for the next four hours, and so on. That really worked on cutting down.
  14. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I've heard of drinking cold water before when the urge to smoke kicks in. I've heard of chewing on ice chips, too, because it replaces it with an active motion.

I had never thought about sipping through a straw to simulate the sucking on a cigarette, though! That's a great tip that I think many might benefit from. Obviously it's not the same, but it'll help wean a person off slowly.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I heard my future mother in law stopped smoking and aided herself by drinking water. Not sure how she drank it and if it was cold, but am guessing she used this same method. I'd need to ask her to find out, sadly our relationship is not very good, but I'll still ask her the next time I see her. If it worked for her, it might work for him as well.