An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Six years in pain management clinic ends with ice cold cut from tramadol

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Chris131, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Chris131

Chris131 Member

I just had the shittiest experience of my life, not the hardest, but certainly the shittiest, my tramadol count was out of proportion with that of the clinic nurse, checkmate, see ya later! 300mg of tramadol every single day for six solid years, never a day without!

My last dose was Tuesday at 7pm, I am in full blown cessation syndrome as I tap this out. I once came of of vicodin after treating with it for one solid year and that was a beast, however keep in mind I never really abused any of these substances, all were rightly prescribed for a broken neck sustained in an industrial accident in 2004!

Nonetheless, you still get strung out on them, and you have the exact same cessation syndrome as does anyone else. Back to tramadol, this cessation is not nearly opiodal, its much more neurological to my mind, and that mind is currently being blasted by trillions of little receptors demanding immediate audience.

I am very fortunate that I have on hand a bottle of 90 gabepentin tablets, and that has proven itself to be a Godsend, that and the zofran(more on the zofran in a moment), gabepentin has served to totally eliminate any cravings in my body which is really really weird, I have none, that and the RLS are why the gabepentin is so special for coming off of narcotic analgesics or their next of kin, tramadol! Now the zofran, that is also an interesting chemical, like tramadol it has an affinity for serotonin reuptake, which most MD's are clueless about!

It has also been a Godsend for me as its in its own small way working to reduce not just my nausea, but my feeling depressed and hopeless! At any rate I have gone on longer then perhaps I should, I feel for every one of you who has or is going through this shitty deal, but I can assure as a survivor of aggressive third stage cancer, I ain't dead yet, regardless of those assholes at that clinic! Whose out there???
  2. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Hi @Chris131 Welcome, thanks for sharing your story. I myself got off buprenorphine after an 8 year run about 6 months ago. I too had gabapentin and yes its amazing for the withdrawl stress response. I made it about 45 days and then I started Kratom it greatly helps maybe a little too good and itll have it's own set of withdrawls when I have finally convinced myself I'm done with this run.

The worst part about opioid withdrawl is the agonizing months and months of low hedonic tone or anhedonia. It really sucks
    Chris131 and cheffy like this.
  3. cheffy

cheffy Community Champion

We need to start having the Dr. sign a document that basically says 'any changes must be approved by patient' ! So the doctor wants to drop the tramidol? Not without your approval !
    Chris131 and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  4. Chris131

Chris131 Member

Thank you for dropping by, I am quite lonely and currently in full blown cessation syndrome. I had heard many horror stories regarding the cold cut from tramadol, and certainly its been just awful, but to my mind and experience, this thing just ain't an opiod!

There are certainly traditional opioid cessation symptoms such as the crazy all night battle with my brain and its absolute demand for immediate satisfaction, yet most of the cessation symptoms are just a hodgepodge of feeling lousy and worse, regardless the demands have been much tempered by that gabapentin and zofran! I hate to think how things would look absent those two steadfast companions.

I won't lie, I was very pleased to discover that bottle of 90 gabapetin tabs in my med chest. I know nothing about kratom other than its a very close relative of the opium poppy, I know it popular in culture, and with youth, nonetheless I have never personally experienced the stuff! ER doctor told me tramadol cessation should resolve itself in the vicinity of 5-7 days, I'm at the rapid approach of hour 48! Edited to add, absolutely zero cravings, thats on that gabapentin I'm sure....

Nice to meet you onceaddicted!
  5. Chris131

Chris131 Member

Hi Cheffy, in my case my count came up short by four full days, that is a serious no-no, I was actually flabbergasted, but it was off those 24 50mg tabs absent any explanation, that is checkmate as we say, it was the only time in six years my count had ever been short, I'd even been over a half dozen times, no matter, hit the road Jack! No separation script, no thanks for all the money, no nothing but 48 hours of cessation syndrome!
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  6. Chris131

Chris131 Member

I missed this and I apologize but my brain really feels as if its operating at about 20% of capacity... You seem to have a long term relationship issue here that might respond to a prescribed anti-depressant, or not!

I have no idea if I will find myself unable to process pleasure, tramadol is a far cry in potency from virtually all other opioids, in fact its really not an opioid at all, they just lump it in there because of its affinity for those MU receptors.

In truth they know next to nothing about tramdols real mechanisms of action, or the why of it. I was sold on it as the gentle little cousin of hydrocodone, and really its so seemingly harmless, that is until you stop a long term daily affair dead, or of course you go out and begin heavily abusing it, my perception of my current status is neurological, not so much CNS.

I'm very very pleased I never gave into indulgence of this medication, it strikes me as particularly savage and almost capable of malice, while 300mg seems a large amount to me, its really nothing to what many others I know were up to. I have heard of youth dropping 300mg at a sitting, and then sticking with it for years, I can't even imagine how nasty the cessation syndrome would be for such poor folk and God be with them....
  7. Onceaddicted77

Nice to meet you too. Yea I tried antidepressants and the side effects were killing me. Kratom is probably closer to effect as tramadol. It dosnt resemble poppy derived opioids st all really. And Infact some very bad kratom suppliers got caught adulterating it with tramadol.

It does have a very weak affinity and it's a partial agonist on the mu receptor and it's an antagonist on the kappa and delta receptors. It does not recruit b arrestin like opioids which is responsible for downregulation of receptors and respiratory depression.

Kratom mostly works like an antidepressant as its a reuptake inhibitor of norepinephrine and serotonin dopamine as well and Its related to the coffee plant.

I'll probably be feeling about like you are when I quit just lowsy and not much motivation. Probably a little worse than when I quit caffeine.

You can actually still feel kratom when even on buprenorphine and bupe affinity is crazy strong.

Either way withdrawls suck but necessary sometimes. Lol
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    True concern and Chris131 like this.
  8. Onceaddicted77

I definitely dont recommend trying it though if you dont have too. It might sound like I romanticize it sometimes I probably do lol. It's a love hate relationship though. I love the feeling but hate the dependence lol.
  9. Chris131

Chris131 Member

I've always felt tramadol was in reality an anti-depressant, I caught no opioid like euphoria from it ever, however I felt so much better, and my neck pain vanished, and in my instance tolerance really never materialized, I was always able to obtain the needed effect from those six tabs daily.

Such was not my experience with hydrocodone, that **** was singing my name, after just two months on it I wanted more, and I got it! Then they put me on oxycodone and more and more of that was needed, always more, never less!

I **** you guy's not I'd sit there and chant that script to the pharmacy. When I came off of that crap it was because the doctor who had prescribed it all retired, and that was that, you were given one last script and directions for a rapid taper and a good luck to you on your way out the gate....
  10. Onceaddicted77

I can definitely relate I started out on hydrocodone myself for a few years then moved on to oxycontin then H. I couldn't wait to wake up in the morning's so I could get a fresh high again. After that stretch I started buprenorphine I'd have to say it saved my life but it was delaying the inevitable. I knew I had to pay the piper one day.

The Drs are all scared shitless now as most been handing out opioids like candy before the new found opioid crisis. Most peoples options now that the Dr cut them off is basically go to the methadone clinic or get on bupe. Its Sad for the people who really need them.
  11. Onceaddicted77

Also be careful on that Gabapentin I've taken ot for a couple years now and ive weaned myself down to only 300mg a day. But boy miss that dose and its toss and turn all night. It's more addicting then they let it on to be.
    Chris131 likes this.
  12. Chris131

Chris131 Member

Another good point, I have no intention of using it past this weekend, its simply being deployed to take the harder edges off of the cessation experience. Sun's down now for the day, the more aggressive symptoms will begin to reemerge again for the night.... As they said in one of my favorite movies of all time, "The Lost Weekend" delirium is a disease of the night.... I will be back in here off and on all night long, its really good to meet and talk with you Onceaddicted77, you're a good man, may God bless every inch of you!
  13. Onceaddicted77

Thank you may Gods will bless you as well.
    Iam glad your here and hope you find what you seek.
  14. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

That's malpractice! I can't believe they didn't taper you off. I was even fast tapered not that it did any good. But as far as I know it is an opioid. I'm glad you found us. Hang in there. This too will pass.
  15. emmaemily

emmaemily Member

Hi all,
    I am a newbie to this forum, hope you all feel well
  16. emmaemily

emmaemily Member

Hi all,
    I am a newbie to this forum, hope you all feel well
  17. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

Hi, did you post your own thread introducing yourself?
  18. Sebasty1987

Sebasty1987 Member

Hey, the chemicals don't permanently have that effect the patient wants. The problem is that many people can not perceive and understand how this mechanism works, and each of them wants an immediate result. I was still such a person, I remember how in adolescence I had someone middle back pain and I had no patience when I was doing a treatment. Such a checkmate I had when I drowned to practice as a nurse. Later I came to the conclusion that doctors are not so simple in working with patients. And what you do is much more than just a doctor's job.