An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Skunk causes psychosis, hash doesn't

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Sparkster, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

According to a BBC News report, the results of a new study shows that smoking high-potency skunk (bud) is responsible for nearly a quarter (24%) of recent cases of psychosis, due to high levels of THC. However, the same study also showed that because hash forms of Marijuana have higher levels of CBD than skunk which counteracts the adverse effects of THC, no cases of psychosis have been linked to smoking hash:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31480234
  2. There may be something to that. I believe skunk and sour also are more highly addicting than what the streets call regular weed. The last time I smoked it was regular weed and I almost feel as if it helped cured me from the craving to smoke anymore. Weird notion I know but something in me changed where I feel recovered from desiring it.
  3. Sparkster

I don't find that weird at all. The same thing happened to me with crack cocaine. When I couldn't get any I was having withdrawals and then when I did get some it was bad crack. I didn't get high off it at all, it just didn't do anything but immediately afterwards the withdrawal symptoms disappeared and have never come back!
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Hash and pot are almost two different drugs. I stopped smoking pot because it made me anxious, but I could still smoke hash. Even to this day I'm sure I could smoke a bowl of it and feel fine, I just choose not to.
  5. Sparkster

A wise decision and yes, they can be considered to be two different drugs. Years ago, hash was much stronger than bud due to being so heavily compressed, which was the idea behind producing hash in the first place. Then they started mixing it with melted plastic, vinyl and other substances and it's potency went right down, whereas methods of growing bud with high potency (hydroponics, steroids, etc) have started being used in recent times to produce higher levels of THC. Some people now choose to extract the THC and just smoke the THC crystals.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This conversation seems too "high" for me but very useful. I am seeing words like skunk and hash and it makes me feel like I need to do a lot more reading outside of wildlife and potatoes. Thanks for the education.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Member

I'm no scientist, but I do believe this is 100% false.
    Almost no one smokes weed in the country where I live. It's just too expensive, and hard to find.
    Hash is everywhere, and I know a lot of people who, sadly, might be gone forever because of hash.
    I even have experienced mild symptoms of psychosis.
    I've been to England, and I believe smoking weed is the common thing there. So...
    Either way, hash can cause psychosis. That I can 100% guarantee.
  8. Sparkster

That makes sense. Just because the study found no link between hash and psychosis, that doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't ever happen and, of course, it would also depend on the strength and potency of the hash. In the UK the hash here is incredibly low quality and weak whereas bud/skunk is extremely potent. I have also seen a documentary where a woman did an experiment by taking pure THC for three months and then pure CBD for three months. The THC made her incredibly paranoid whereas the CBD made her tired but giggly.
  9. bsthebenster

Everyone's brain chemistry is a little different, and there are more chemical compounds in weed than CBD and THC. When you buy it off the streets you won't know what your getting. Every time the plant is grown, it can have a different chemical composition than the last time you got it. That's why when it's grown medically it's tested to educate the patients.
  10. goldenmonkey

goldenmonkey Member

I think it really depends on the weed or hash. It could be that in your country the hash is less potent? Where I live no-one smokes hash because there are a lot of growers here and it's easier to just sell the bud without processing. Some people have psychiatric issues from it, but I believe that the cannabis is a catalyst, not a cause. Some people are more likely to have mental issues, and lots of strong cannabis can definitely precipitate that.
  11. Sparkster

The point is that it's the THC which is responsible for causing psychosis, schizophrenia, etc - none of the other chemicals found in marijuana have been proven to do the same and CBD actually counteracts it. THC is responsible for the mental high whereas CBD gives more of a body high. It's true that it can have a different chemical composition each time it's grown and even more obviously, there are a multitude of different strains with different chemical compositions. I'm not sure what you mean by "when it's grown medically it's tested to educate the patients" - it's not tested and used to educate patients, it's tested and used to treat them.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Me too bud.
    In my day there was just pot, once in a while just hash.
    Had to google all these new terms out there.
    I hear pot is a lot stronger now then it was in my day too.
    Winterybella likes this.
  13. bsthebenster

What I meant by them testing it to educate patients, is that the companies that make the medical Marajuana test there products chemical composition so the patient can make an educated decision about the strain before buying. That way the patient can make an educated guess on what strain will help the illness they have. The patient more often than not chooses the strain themselves. Plus not every batch is the same as the last, so they need to keep them updated and educated. That is another reason why they test all the chemicals in every batch. I'm sorry I didn't make this more clear in my last post. Medical Marjuana is still a new thing and there is a lot of things the companies still need to work out. It took them a wile to be able to grow proper medication in the first place. Each batch is still very inconsistent. This also changes from one company to the next. It can get pretty complicated.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, how about that. Hash a popular one in certain parts of Europe. Yes there is a ton of issues with psychosis in the US. Well when will they figure it out here. They are just so slow to catch up to Europe with stuff like this.