An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Skype Counseling Sessions

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Joyner, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Joyner

Joyner Member

Has anyone tried counseling via Skype? I've heard of people referencing this on other blogs and forums before, but I haven't really heard of any specific services or examples. I'm interested in seeing if this is effective if, for whatever reason, you are unable to go in person. Some people might not feel comfortable taking about it in person, or simply want to save gas and time expense of going to an in-person facility. If you know of any free or low cost counseling services that are offered via Skype, feel free to post them here. Thanks!
  2. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

I have not tried it, and I have to admit I did not even know that they existed. That said, I am glad to hear that they do and I will look into them. Anything that is low cost and has a chance to be effective is a good idea in my book, and this seems like it fits in line with those.

I would be interested to hear any testimonials from somebody who has tried it, or alternatives like it that may have worked for some people. It is nice knowing that there are options out there.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

If someone absolutely cannot go in person to see a therapist, whether that's because of anxiety or any other reason, then I can see a Skype session being a good alternative. However, I do think something will be lost from the patient-therapist relationship, but it's a "needs must" scenario, and anything is better than nothing....
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I don't like Skype, and haven't installed on my computers; many other people may think the same way, particularly those with limited system resources or poor Internet connectivity.

What I want to say is that while online session could be a good alternative indeed, I don't see the point to set them up over Skype when this could be conducted via on-site chat or video conference.

In addition, depend on how those sessions are set up you may or may not be paying Skype call rates; to pay for a phone session, I prefer to do it using a traditional landline phone.
  5. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It really does not matter whether the counseling is through Skype or other forms; as long as the goal is being met. It is possible the person who needs counseling lives in a country different from the counselor and the counselor was recommended. If you can express yourself on love terms over Skype, I don't see why counseling should be an exception.
  6. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Yeah, counselling is counselling. So, if you are able to get some professional help via skype, why not. They are doing surgeries remotely nowadays, so a counselling session would be just fine.
  7. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I guess it's a decent alternative to doing it in real life, especially for nervous people. Besides, if you want to get counselling from somebody that lives very far away from you, it's a good alternative. As long as you have a decent computer or smartphone with internet then it's a great way of doing it. I think some people may be camera shy and avoid it but for socially awkward people or people who don't want to be seen by others might find it an interesting proposal. I doubt it would cost as much as, if anything, compared to face to face counselling. It's quite great how technology has helped people, even in a field such as drug addiction - good to see!
  8. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Its also great for people who may be living in some remote region where such services are not usually available. I know quite a few places where counsellors are needed but they simply don't have any because of low population density and remoteness of the region.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think if you are in an area where you can not get easy access to a counselor, it may make the most sense. It is just on of the ways that counseling can be accessible to the masses. I think there are some qualified counselors you can find online. Of course it would help to use one that has a specialization in counseling.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Yes, this is a good Idea which could save time and some money because the skype sessions would probably be less expensive than the norm. However, before you become engaged you should seek to ensure that these counsellors are credible and you should also seek to ensure that there will not be any disclosure of anything you have discussed.
  11. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Indeed. Make sure the counselor is reputable, but yeah, it sounds like a pretty good idea to me. It doesn't necessarily have to be Skype for those who don't like it. The premise is still good.

I think it would help make counseling more accessible to those who might not otherwise have the opportunity. You could Skype (or other video chat, etc.) during a lunch break if you have limited time during regular working hours or lived far away or didn't have transportation or for whatever reason.