An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sleep Addiction Question

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by SashaS, Mar 14, 2016.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Now I know I'm not addicted to sleep or anything and I barely sleep more than 9 hours every night, but my question is related to this. Lately, I've been finding it difficult to get up early during the weekdays when I need to do so. I would set an alarm for 5:30 AM, wake up at that time and then go back to sleep. Its as if I am in some sort of zombie mode, where I acknowledge the fact that I am awake, but I can't do anything about it and I end up falling asleep again. I even check my emails and turn my alarm off, then a random thought goes through my head and not a second later, its 6:30 AM and I'm starting the day later than I should be.

What can I do to combat this? Pour water over my head?
    I'm asking you guys since this is a knowledgeable and helpful community and that I can appreciate. Any constructive feedback or opinions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I never have had a waking problem when ever my alarm went off. Even when I slept at 10 PM and set my alarm for 1 AM, I could wake up instantly the moment the alarm went off. However, in the last two weeks, I am also experiencing problem waking. I think this is because of stress and tiredness.
    SashaS likes this.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

If there was something to look forward to @SashaS then it would help you fly out of bed. I think you need something exciting that you do early in the morning to get you out of bed; if you don't, you will never get the urge to fly out of bed.
    SashaS likes this.
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I remember having this problem. It happened to me over summer breaks while I was in school. I didn't seem to want to leave my bed and would sleep for hours on end. I would say that you may need to incorporate healthy eating habits. This helped me a lot. I was lethargic from doing nothing all day. When you are not getting out into the world and exercising, your body sort of shuts down. I suggest forcing yourself out of bed and exercising at least once a day.
    SashaS likes this.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really think changing your diet can help a lot. Dehydration plays a big factor when it comes to insomnia. Exercise is really good for helping you sleep better also, you should try to do that more often. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables and cutting back on junk food and caffeine could work well also.
    SashaS likes this.
  6. Min

Min Active Contributor

I suggest doing something that wakes you up fully - not just reading emails. Something like immediately taking a shower or making breakfast, an activity which involves coordination and standing up - not laying down or sitting. This way you can't suddenly find yourself falling back asleep.
    Also, just because you never had the issue before doesn't mean that it's not the new way that your body has decided to function. As we get older our bodies tell us what they need, and we've got to listen and change habits in order to function at optimal output.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I suggest putting your alarm clock on the other side of the room so that you have to get up to turn it off. Once you are up then you will have to go to the bathroom so you will be awake by then. Turn on the lights as soon as you get up. Have a glass of water but don't allow yourself to crawl back into bed. It is a habit and you need to find a way of breaking it. It would takes being awake a few minutes to realize you are ready to start your day.
    kgord likes this.
  8. SashaS

Thanks for this, I would have never thought of that! I'll definitely try this out tomorrow morning. Changing things up is a great way of addressing the situation. Being awake for longer is definitely what I need to be doing.
  9. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

This is also my problem actually. I try to finish all my work before sleeping because chances are when I'm knocked out, I cannot be waken up. I even set an alarm as well but it goes to waste because I simply don't wake up or tap the snooze button. It is a major problem since I work at night and sometimes I get so tired I want to doze first before doing my work. But more often than not, that doesn't work out well since I sleep continuously despite numerous alarms.

With your problem though, it might help if you set your alarm an hour earlier than your set schedule. This way, even if you wake up later, you still have an allowance of an hour to do whatever you need to do. I would also suggest just taking a bath at night so that doesn't take up much time during the morning. You won't be sweating in your sleep anyway. Plus, hair looks amazing if you slept on it. Lol.

Good luck!
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I'd say you might want to listen to what your body is telling you. It sounds to me that it wants you to have a rest for a while. Maybe you've been working really hard in recent times, or you had a lot to deal with, and now it's time to relax for a while. I've been going through those stages myself. They can last from a week to several months. But after giving myself some adequate rest, I usually tend to emerge with new energy.
  11. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I think your suggestion will help. Sometimes when I put my alarm clock on the other side of the room, I have to walk to turn it off. After I wake up, I also drink cold water that can keep me awake. In order to not to sleep again, I keep the lights on.
  12. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

This seems to be mostly a habit. It's probably won't be very easy to get out of the habit, however, but once you are able to kick the habit, you may not have that problem again. I suggest that when the alarm goes and you awake at first jump out of bed and do some stretches, push-ups and lunges to increase your energy level so that you would be less lethargic and would not want to go back to sleep.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think what you need is a good incentive for waking up early. Try listing down the reasons why should get up early. If they are compelling enough then you won't have problems getting up early. Or even better, try to do something you like which you'd otherwise do at some other time during the day at that time. This should free up some time for you later in the day.
    kgord likes this.
  14. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Hey Sasha, If I were you I would go to the doctor and get some blood work. When I was reading what is going on, I was wondering could it be a medical problem. I know at one point in my life, I was always tired and felt drain. I had a physical and it turned out that I had anemia. That was nothing new to me since my hemoglobin is always below normal, but this time it was even lower. So my doctor had me to increase my iron intake. They also had me to take Vitamin B. So it won’t hurt to at least rule out any medical issues.
    SashaS likes this.
  15. SashaS

Wow, I did not even consider this, thanks for the informative feedback. It may have to do with my diet, as I wouldn't consider myself a healthy eater, my metabolism keeps me thin so I can eat anything without really gaining weight. A lack of a certain vitamin may be contributing to that as you mentioned, I will definitely remember this next time I visit the doctor.

-Thanks to everyone else who contributed their opinions, I will definitely take your thoughts into consideration, much appreciated!
    Deeishere likes this.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

There is no such thing as a sleep addiction and I'm not sure this is the right section for this topic.
    That said, this seems more like a medical issue than a motivational one and you clearly deserve the advice you seek without me being so picky.

Trying the motivational and habit changing ideas people of mentioned is good, but avoid any of the dietary advice given without proper review from a doctor and maybe a dietitian after you have seen the doctor. if anybody other than qualified medical personal suggest vitamins or supplements let it go in one ear and out the other.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  17. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have the same problem as you do. I can't manage to go to bed early, so every morning I feel unable to wake up due to an hour less of sleep. I often find myself laying in bed, trying to keep my eyes open, only to fall back asleep.

However, I force myself to wake up, as I know that I have a lot of things to get done. you just have to stand up and everything will be fine after that. It works for me.
  18. JohnBeaulieu

That isn't true for everyone. It depends on what the underlying issue is. If it is medical and you just force yourself you could run into problems.
  19. kgord

kgord Community Champion

You are lucky to be getting 9 hours of sleep a night. I am lucky if I get 6, although since I am not tired the next day, I think it is enough for me. I would like to be able to sleep a bit longer and sometimes I do fall back asleep. I never have a pressing reason to get up though...so it is OK with me.
  20. JohnBeaulieu

That isn't very supportive or even accurate. I'm sure you weren't aiming for non-supportive though. It seemed like and expression of frustration that you don't get 9 hours if anything.

Different people have different have different needs biologically and it isn't really fair for you to determine if they are lucky. Sleep needs are affected by age and health. When I was in my late teens and early twenties I needed 12 hours to be okay. When you don't factor in health conditions, activity level, or stress the trend is to need more sleep at younger ages and for it to decrease as you age. The factors I mentioned can bump the need up and down however.

The amount of sleep a person needs can not be measured in hours alone and certainly not by one size fits all numbers.