An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

SLEEP

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One thing an a recovering addicts can't have enough of is sleep. While it's possible that you may be unable to sleep, there are ways you can exorcise insomnia and have some peace at night. Need we say why sleep is important to a recovering addict? Well the obvious reason is your mind won't be on drugs when you are asleep.

Got problems with insomnia? You might find the site linked to below helpful.

http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-tools-tips/healthy-sleep-tips

2. kaidera

kaidera Member

Something I want to add here: A quick discussion on sleeping aids. I kept it general because I wanted to include the OTC type things like melatonin and the harder, prescription medication. These come with serious risks. If you're interested, here is an article on the dangers of taking it :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/before-you-close-your-eyes-make-sure-theyre-open/#axzz3QFAE5pWX

Essentially, melatonin is a hormone that your body makes to regulate sleep. If you start taking outside sources of it, your body will stop making it on it's own. You can imagine that lacking the key sleep hormone could cause problems down the road...

I also wanted to mention the more well known risks of the prescribed sleeping medications. I've heard some funky stories of sleep waking and stuff, but the real concern for me is the dependency. The idea of taking something thats addictive, as someone who already has a problem with addictions... also doesn't seem like a good idea.

Please consider alternatives. Check out what "Sleep Hygiene" is, because it's more than a shower before bed.
    Charli and Rainman like this.
  3. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

Sleep is so important for the average person so it is very important for a recovering addict. Life has to be structured and sleep has to be a number one priority. Great sleep leads to good health. The body recovers best with rest.
  4. juno

juno Community Champion

I agree that sleeping is a good thing. Your body will feel rested and refreshed. The time you sleep will also keep you from thinking of drinking. If you are an insomniac, it may be dangerous because many will turn to drinking when they have nothing to do in the middle of the night and no one to watch over them. When you have insomnia, you may also crave a drink to help you sleep because that is how you probably knocked yourself out before.

Being an alcoholic in a recovery stage is a process that requires a lot of care over your body and what it is feeling.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Sleep is very important especially if you are going to embark on a new journey in life such as being clean and sober. Your body has to go through a period of detox to get all of the crud out of your system and your body repairs itself when you sleep.

I use melatonin a couple of nights per week, but only try to use it when I am seriously having problems getting to sleep. More often than not, I find that I am ready to go to sleep at night if I have had a very active day.
  6. Plus

Plus Member

Sleep has helped me a ton in my recovery. I felt like I just could not get enough of it the first week or so, which was great because the first week seems to always be the hardest on me. It not only allows your body to work out the toxins without much trouble but it keeps your mind from wandering to the dark side and back into addiction and nervousness about not having your fix. I would definitely recommend copious amounts of sleep for anyone beginning their journey out of addiction as it makes it so much easier to get on a better road.
  7. Linno

Linno Member

I find it definitely helps to practice a relaxing bedtime ritual. Lately I've been listening to guided sleep meditation when I go to bed. This helps so much to distract my mind. With insomnia it becomes a habit to worry about not being able to sleep and it becomes a vicious cycle. So I like that with guided mediation I have to focus my mind to listen to someone else's instructions. There are plenty of guided sleep meditation clips on youtube, and they are all quite different so it pays to listen to a few before you find one that will suit you. Sleep is hugely important so it's good to have more strategies up your sleeve to battle insomnia.
  8. juno

juno Community Champion

Sleep is an important factor in recovery. If you are unable to sleep do to the withdrawal symptom and other factors, it can definitely aggravate the situation. Then if you try to aid sleep with some type of prescription, then you are again at risk of another substance abuse problem. I also want to mention that there are those who are suffering from sleep issues because they were addicted to some kind of sleeping pill.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

That is true that is you will sleep at the same time every night your body will be use to it and it will bring you back to your normal sleep pattern. Getting enough hours of sleep every night will surely be of great help for your fast recovery and sooner all will take you into good places.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I agree, sleep is very important, and lack of it might result to something that could affect your health like your immune system might be endangered, and you'll get more irritable and your concentration will probably fade. Sleep is the body's way of relaxing from the worries and stresses of the previous day, and it's highly essential.
  11. djdogbone11

djdogbone11 Member

I make a point to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. The way I see it, the more you sleep, the less time you have to be tempted

It also gives me energy to exercise more when I feel like using.
  12. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I remember my friend’s mother who was an addict who had problems with sleeping and insomnia. She couldn’t sleep the whole night and was up until morning. It was really disturbing because his mother couldn’t go to work anymore because she was asleep the whole day. She wanted to change her body clock but she couldn’t because she was so active at night. My friend was really scared because her mom wasn’t normal anymore and she was always angry, stressed and cranky because of the wrecked body clock. It was a very sad experience for my friend and I am happy he is okay now.
  13. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Luckily I dont have problems with insomnia for quite a long time now and I'm happy about it.
    Lack of sleep caused me a lot of problems, I used to be so stressed and just throw up from fatique.
  14. reubhole

reubhole Member

This is great! I'm having some trouble sleeping, in part due to my sobriety, but also and injury that is worse while sleeping. I'm going to try these tips to see if they can help me out! Although with my job it's going to be hard waking up at the same time every day, especially on the weekends!
  15. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I had issues with sleep. I even have a story about sleeping pills here and the addictions and near death experience I suffered due to it. I put myself under to get away from not being ABLE to sleep.

So I can vouch for how necessary sleep actually is. Getting the right amounts of it. And doing it properly and not over-sleeping for days on end.

That site was pretty cool too!

[​IMG]
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I had difficulty sleeping at night and would sleep in the early morning hours when I was younger. But as I grew up, my sleep pattern became normal, and now I easily fall asleep, like the moment my back hits the bed and I stare blankly into space, I fall asleep. Recovering addicts should really try to get as much sleep as they can to aid them in their recovery.
  17. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Finding time to sleep was always hard for me. I was a huge procrastinator and never got my work done fast enough. Sleep is essential to recover the body and the mind. Being awake for 19 hours, and then sleeping for 5 will not cut it. Get. Your. Sleep!
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Getting enough sleep is something I am working on. I find myself up at some crazy times and invariably I am sleepy all day. Maybe I prefer to sleep in the day and be up during the nights. That said, the importance of adequate sleep should not be minimized.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

It really is best to just find a natural solution because it's hardly practical to be dependent on drugs for something you're going to need to do every night. I find that the best way for me to get sleepy is to just turn off all the lights a few hours before I go to bed because that way my body knows it's night time and I'll eventually get sleepy in the natural way.
  20. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Yup, that's a proven technique and one of the most effective. All of us have these internal biological clocks that influence our states chemically. Bright lights, especially fluorescent or LEDs can screw up this internal clock and keep us awake even though we know it's time for bed. I also turn off all the lights an hour before I sleep and I cover my eyes with handkerchief so that I don't get distracted by random faraway lights.