An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

SLEEP

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 29, 2015.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

Those daylight simulators really do work for treating seasonal depression, but they are also useful in general if you are indoors a lot and not getting enough natural sunlight. The reason I knew they were having an effect on me was because I had one right on my desk and would sometimes not even realize it was late in the evening and dark outside because I would be chugging away at whatever it was I was working on. That would be the only drawback to those things - make sure you shut them off during normal hours of sunset, because they can be counterproductive and keep you up in the evening.

I've also found that it helped to make sure my entire place was clean and organized before going to bed, as well as always having freshly cleaned sheets and pillowcases and blankets. I've found it to be more calming knowing there were no dirty dishes in the sink, the carpet didn't need vacuuming, I didn't have mail and papers all over my table, etc... also the smell of fresh sheets and pillows made me feel like I was in a nice hotel each night. like I was kind of pampering myself.
  2. shmangie

shmangie Member

Sleep is great for your health and staying clean, but you have to make sure to find a healthy way to get more sleep. Sleeping through your times of "need" can be a great way to handle it. As long as you don't take other drugs to do so. Also, it's important you don't get lazy and make it your lifestyle, sleep is important but so is exercise.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

A deep sleep is the way the body reboots for the day. It is necessary for a healthy lifestyle.

I use to use a lot of antihistamines to fall asleep. Sometimes even that wouldn't work. So eventually I had to start the day at 6am with the alarm clock. From there I just filled my day with activities all the way til the night. I found that I needed to exhaust myself so at night I could sleep.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I used to suffer from insomnia and it is really hard to live having such problem. :p
    I thought it cannot be resolved but I really help myself to change my body clock. As of now, I can sleep at 12 midnight and wake up at around 8am. I feel great compared before that I almost cannot get an hour of good night sleep.
  5. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Insomnia is probably one of the most devastating ailments that exist out there. It is a silent killer. It takes away your rest, saps your energy and lowers your morale while crushing your spirit in the process. On top of that, often times, it is nearly impossible to combat the disease without resorting to some sort of medications the majority of which are highly addictive. Every night I go to bed I secretly prey I won't stay awake all night. It's one of the worst experiences one could have.
  6. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Sleep is very important. Some people relapse because they turn to an addictive substance to help them sleep. There are many ways to aid sleep but I personally avoid taking any sort of medication to accomplish it natural or otherwise. In my humble opinion a chemical is a chemical is a chemical, whether derived of natural means or manufactured by a pharmaceutical company. I wouldn't use anything without the guidance of a medical professional that knows my complete history. I try to keep my room dark and quiet at night. Watching TV or reading in bed seems to make it harder to sleep for me so I do those things in other rooms.
  7. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

The body does need rest. Sleeping is the way the body resets itself. If you are suffering from insomnia you might a lot on your mind and maybe exercise might be an answer for it. Pills should be your last course of action.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Before I had a sleeping problem almost near to insomnia. I cannot sleep easily and sometimes it is 3 am already I am still awake and it really bothers me that is why I changed my lifestyle. I sleep at the same time every night 10 pm the time when body starts to heal or repair our body tissues while we are sleeping. It is between 10 pm to 2 am. That is why we should be sleeping during this time. That is why if we are awake between this time our bodies will be distract from this activity and our sleeping pattern will be affected which is the cause why sometimes we have irregular sleep. I sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time also 6 am. Then get some early morning sunshine, exercise like walking, eating healthy and avoid gadgets like computer and cellphone before sleeping are the things I did to get back and had a normal sleep again.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve been known to have some trouble sleeping. Less so overall when I made some changes to my lifestyle, like adding regular exercise and kicking up the healthy food intake. Sometimes I still have trouble when I’m stressed out, but I’ve gotten better about being aware of when it’s happening and making an effort to get into bed a little earlier, so I’m encouraged to relax. And rituals help me a lot. I like to read before sleeping, it usually does the trick. If that doesn’t work, I sometimes like to grab a coloring book and some crayons. It’s calming and distracting.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've definitely had my own battles with insomnia - and it wasn't easy to deal with -- the times where I wasn't sleeping well, I was actually drinking more in an effort to get to that sleepy state. Not a good combination.

These days I find myself sleeping pretty well. I try to prioritize it by ensuring I'm in bed early and allowing myself enough time to get a restful night's sleep. I also try to exercise enough that my body is sufficiently tired - that way I'm not lying awake for hours and still feeling in an active state of mind.
  11. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Indeed, going to be early and enough time to fall out is essential when regaining balance in an unsteady lifestyle. Habitually sleeping forms a nice routine you can follow and the body can get adjusted to.

However, unfortunately a lot of us (myself included) can't get to sleep that well. Therein lies the issues; but never take sleeping pills. I have had too many scary stories to tell when it comes to them.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The reason why insomnia isn't covered by my company-provided health insurance is that it's psychological. When you take psychoactive drugs like marijuana, heroin and the like, then insomnia is an inevitable result. During bouts of insomnia, your brain entertains all sorts of random thoughts or there's a hazy blankness there that forces it to stay awake. This situation can be credited to a lack of neurotransmitter activity and cortisol excess, which can also be triggered by using drugs (even caffeine).
  13. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

I reset my circadian rhythm with pure discipline and the help of a room mate. There are many professional methods, but without the funding or the want to take anything other than a holistic route, I exercised myself into taking the harder road.

For about a month, I'd have my roommate keep me up as long as possible - even if it meant being utterly tired, and I was only allowed a 10 minute nap when it was absolutely needed. This person was such a go-getter (utterly perfect), and they made sure I got to sleep and woke up at 6 am sharp in the mornings.

After a lot of rudeness and grogginess on my part, I ended up thanking them by the month ended.

However, I would not suggest this. I was a bit desperate at the time - and though it did work (and I'm very grateful for my room mate), I'd suggest seeking professional help.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Sleep issues. Eating more raw foods is the best way to correct sleep problems. Four or five days of just fruit you sleep like a rock.
  15. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Where on earth do you get that idea? An only fruit diet for even a day or two is likely to run your blood sugar up and make you have runny stools.
  16. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

You can try foods and herbs that promote sleep. Warm milk before going to bed can help you will sleeping disorder. Herbal tea such as jasmine tea, rose tea can promote good sleep.Meditating just before you sleep can also helps.
  17. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have suffered from insomnia because of my work issue aside from my other issues. So yeah, struggling to sleep is a bad disease to have especially if you're in recovery as well. I would advice anyone with the same problem to:
    • Drink a cup of warm milk before bed.
    • Turn off all distractions like television, smartphones and even the lights.
    • You can try reading a good book before sleeping though as this can relax you.
    • Wear comfortable clothing because for me, fitted clothing hinder my sleep.
    Good luck!