An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Small Town America

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by TripleD123, Mar 6, 2015.

1. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I live in a small town where heroin is running rampant. I have seen and heard of so many deaths due to heroin overdoses. Young girls & young men seem to be the average casualty. I am trying to wrap my head around this drug and how people fall so hard for something that can so easily kill you. Obviously I'm not a user. I have struggles of my own, but thankfully heroin has never been one of them.

I'm really just looking to hear stories, get insight, open my mind to this epidemic.
  2. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Well, am not a user but I do blieve that they get a good feeling when they bigin using heroin, that it becomes addictive, it may all start as a try and from peer pressure before they know it they are addicted to it.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's great to know you're curious about the "drug epidemic" in your town because that means you care enough and, to some extent, worried about the future of young men and women who got lured into using drugs. For sure, heroin usage is rampant in most American towns. Sadly, the authorities seem to turn a blind eye to this alarming issue. Laws are rather passive. No one gets caught unless the townsfolk are proactive enough to report drug incidents to the police.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

From my own research, heroin is very addictive and once you start taking it, you're hooked. Most people will find themselves in a situation where they can't kick out that habit when they get it into their system and this usually marks the beginning of a vicious cycle where they loose control of themselves and their lives come to a cruel downward spiral.
  5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's not surprising that drugs become incredibly popular in small town places. It seems boredom is always a contributing factor to alcohol or drug abuse. Well that & getting to users young when they're more likely to experiment with things you'd rather not when you are a tad older & wiser.

People think of heroin as an intravenous drug usually & that's scarier idea (mostly because of the needle/vein aspect) than smoking/snorting which is where users normally start.
  6. TripleD123

Meth and "tweakers" used to be the main drug of choice in this town. It still probably is, but it seems the younger generation has turned to heroin. It just aggravates me when the local news reports about making great strides in removing marijuana from our streets. HELLO! Your children are so over weed and are turning into junkies. Open your eyes and wage a war on heroin and meth. Its just so backwards here. Ignorance is bliss I guess, right?
  7. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

People wont get in trouble, unless there is a huge problem and depending on what the laws are they won't be many arrests unless there is proof and report of it. Younger people, tend to use it as it makes them look great, or they see it in movies and don't think it is harmful and also don't realize the consequences of it and are so drawn to it they consider that more important in life. Most want to just try it out, and what starts out as trying it out can lead to a long term addiction which is harmful to the person and to those around them.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Reminds me of the Meth problem in hawaii. It is the drug of choice and is creating havoc in a lot of families. I know there is a lot of drug education in the education system, but I think it is the parents responsibility to teach their kids about drug abuse. Don't depend on anyone else to teach your kids right from wrong.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  9. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well these drug communities need to be eradicated by the government through social intervention and also through the police to find the suppliers and prosecute them. It is sad when one person is addicted to heroine but an epidemic in an entire community is just tragic.
    TripleD123 likes this.
  10. TripleD123

So this is cheesy but I used to watch Dog the Bounty Hunter and he talked about this all the time. How it was taking over the small communities and was like a virus. Almost every bounty he had to hunt was an "ice freak wife beater". These drugs create monsters.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

You think they would learn. Maybe there is a fascination with death or the edge. Somewhere in here I posted a thread about wanting to know what it was like. Some people were freaking out saying don't try it. Why ask and stuff like this. I thought what's wrong with wanting to know? I was asking not because I want to try it cause that just seems like suicide obviously. But because I won't ever bother, just out of curiosity. I think that this is what comes into play with young people they just want to know and experience. They don't maybe have a good relationship with their parents and don't trust the judgement of authority calling it illegal or dangerous. You know this kind of I know better attitude. This stems from childhood and how they are raised.
    The parents laid the groundwork for the rebellion. It's the attitude of do as I say not as I do kind of thing. Yeah I drink and swear but you better not. Lol, it's just inviting kids to act up and get into the wrong things. Then they want to sit there and blame the teenager for getting into the wrong things. They've taken no responsibility for the lives that they have created. It's like children having children cause they never grew up themselves.
    But these kids that you are talking about. It's an edgy sadistic sort of fascination. They want to see what is up with the stuff that may kill them. Like walking a tight rope.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I have heard there is a huge epidemic right now, many people are getting addicted to heroine everyday, specially in the US. In my country it doesn't seem so bad, but you never know because the government doesn't talk so openly about this.
  13. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

There are many places where heroine is common. We need to make people aware of the dangers of the drug. As tremmie said, the government and the pubic needs to take it seriously and they need to take some steps. There are many stories describing the dangers effects of heroine. The general public needs to be aware.
  14. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Small town America sounds a lot like small town South Africa. There are no jobs and little to do in small towns around here, which forces young and not so young folks to start abusing alcohol and drugs. The obvious motivator is that they want to escape the harsh realities of joblessness and poverty.
  15. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I think the authorities are to blame for such problems among young people. If we as regular citizens of society are aware of the 'black markets' where these youths get their supplies, why not get a lead to eliminate such supplies. But I guess there are the rich big personalities with big connections who prevent such from happening probably because they themselves have some stake in the black market and the circulation of such substances.
  16. I come from small town America... I'm from an area that was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.. Just imagine... no power... broken roads.. broken systems.. no real help other than some FEMA trailers (normally used to party in)... people migrating from New Orleans to get away from that hell hole and all the dope they bring with them with intentions to flip a profit in a small town that is undermanned when it comes to law enforcement... and you're 18 years old, fresh out of high school... and all you wanna do is smoke weed and party.

One person said these kids are so over weed... they're exactly right. It's such a gateway drug it's not even funny. It's easy to do what everyone else is doing.. First you smoke weed... then you pop pills... then you snort pills, heroin, and coke.. then you smoke the junk... when you can't get high off of that... all that's left is shooting it up.

I can't explain why someone gets addicted.. maybe a weak mind.. I don't know... bad relationship with their parents... I just don't know. But telling them to Just Say No is never the answer. It's all about how they want to react to this stuff. My parents did me right... never smoked.. never drank and now I'm on a drug abuse board speaking on my past transgressions after all the hell I put my folks through.

Now I can't speak for everyone but when it comes to being raised in small town America, it's all about the choices you make in life. Not the people who raised you... Once you're given options.. its up to you to make the right choice... school or dope? Work or dope? Sounds pretty easy, but when you're young.. it's not.