An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoke free policy includes e-cigs

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Liv6, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Liv6

Liv6 Member

I'm currently living in a dorm at a university that sports a "smoke-free" policy for its students. This effectively means no smoking on campus (although it obviously cannot be regulated off campus). However, this rule includes e-cigarettes, despite the supposed lack of secondhand smoke. Do you believe that this policy is beneficial, despite the fact that some students utilize e-cigs to quit smoking?
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Well its kind of a save all, they can't tell if the smoke is completely nicotine free or just vapor so the easy thing to do is just ban it outright so its not up to the discretion of whoever has to deal with it at the time.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It's kind of ridiculous, being that there's no evidence to support second-hand smoke dangers from e-cigs. To think that someone can drive a Hummer and pollute my air to no extend while telling me I can't have an e-cig really gets me mad. I'd say that there were too many people who couldn't mind their own business that kept complaining about people "smoking" inside.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think you'll find that a lot of places that employ a smoke free policy will also include artificial cigarettes.

Here in the UK, anywhere there is a smoking ban, also applies to e-cigs aswell, public transport, sporting arenas, indoor shopping centres, they all class e-cigs as they would a usual cigarette.

In the future that might change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

They are taking a position on nicotine in general and not only cigarettes. Vapor is being shunned as well. I applaud their stance on the matter.

Some students might use vapor as a way to ween off of cigarettes, but there is also the patch and nicotine gum. There are alternatives, so there is no excuse why they have to use vapor.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

E-cigarettes have changed my life but I can appreciate that whilst the vapor may not be carcinogenic, it's unfair to make other people breathe it in so I'm absolutely fine about the UK ban. I'll just step outside like I did when I smoked tobacco.
  7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I don't see why the smoking ban wouldn't app to ecigs. Smoking is smoking no matter what form it is.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In here, smoking inside campuses is not allowed for too long already. I think even it will be e-cigarettes, it will still not allowed which I think is beneficial since the students will not be tempted to smoke inside campuses.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is also the same way here. There is a smoking ban and it also includes e-cigarettes. I think it is a good idea. I am with Jasmine2015 on this. Smoking is smoking no matter what form it is and it should not be allowed. It just makes it fair to everybody involved. The smoking bans have really become strict in the last little while and they are enforcing it too which is great!
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

The rule is beneficial, first because it limits influence by smokers. E-cigs can be addictive and that is why they are not recommended. Imagine of students smoking in college and charging their e-cigs in lecture halls. Will that be a college really?