An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoke Free Zones in Cities

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, Jan 27, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Back when I was younger, I would usually breathe in second hand smoke from people who smoke almost everywhere in public. I would smell cigarette smoke while walking down a busy street, along the park or eating in a restaurant.

A couple of years back, our local city government has implemented laws regarding prohibition of public smoking so now, the air feels much better to breathe whenever I go out on public. There are designated smoking zones in the city and anyone caught smoking in all the non-smoking zones are immediately warned by authorities.

Is it also the same where you live? What are your thoughts on this?
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I remember when they started the first bans in shopping centers, metros and other areas that there where high concentration s of people. They thought that there was going to be a huge upheaval and a that most smokers would complain. The reality was exactly the opposite. Even the smokers enjoyed the fact that they could go into an area that didn't smell of stale tobacco. I think most smokers will accept the new smoking zones.
    gracer likes this.
  3. gracer

I also think that smoking ban in public areas and designation of smoking zones in my city was openly accepted by smokers and non-smokers alike. Nobody complained and it felt like it has long been awaited for by everyone. :)
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Love it!
    Ever watch movies or TV shows about the future?
    Typically you never see someone smoking a cigarette.
    Perhaps, one day, we can rid the planet of that nasty habit.
    gracer likes this.
  5. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

My college is technically a smoke free campus but nobody really listens to it.
  6. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In our city smoking in public places, such as educational institutions, religious institutions, bus/taxi stands, public parts and grounds is considered punishable by law.
    gracer likes this.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

This is a common thing.
    Governments come up with all these great anti-smoking laws, but no one actually enforces them.
    Here its illegal to smoke on a bar/restaurant patio, but no one listens because no one enforces it.
    gracer likes this.
  8. gracer

I think this is one of the problems in trying to making rules but nobody in authority has the dedication to implement them well. Sometimes laws are made but even if they're already there to be feared by the people, they just tend to ignore them because of lack of will power. It's disappointing at times.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

There are also places here where smoking is not allowed and there are large signs of no smoking. But the implementation of it is not strict as there are still smokers even on the no smoking sign. :p
    It will be really great if we will have a cigarette smoke free country.
    gracer likes this.
  10. bleblanc10

Yea enforcing a smoke-free zone can be kind of hard.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

I don't see it being hard at all.
    You pay a few by-law officers to go around, when they see someone smoking they issue them a ticket.
    You could also empower security guards to enforce it as well.
    gracer likes this.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

In Bucharest a lot of smoke-free zones have been implemented lately (we had a tragedy involving a fire and ~100 people died on Halloween, that might or might not have influenced the decisions). Some bars are even divided for smokers and non-smokers.
    gracer likes this.
  13. Joethefirst

Most laws start like this, in the beginning people really adhere to them but it's up to the people in general to enforce it, but more often then not they don't.
    gracer likes this.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well most indoor spaces here are now smoke free. Some bars that have special ventilation systems, still allow smoking I think. Malls for the most part are mostly smoke free. Workplace smoking has to be done outside. Some apartment complexes and grounds are smoke free...so smoke free zones seem like they might be practical. I don't think it is a bad idea.
    gracer likes this.
  15. L_B

L_B Community Champion

The laws are very strict when it comes to smoking now and I am glad to see that. It use to be awful how no matter where you went you had to breath in second hand smoke. I use to really hate when they could smoke in restaurants. Nothing ruins a good meal like the smell of smoke. I remember there was this coffee shop and when you opened the door the smoke would roll out. All their donuts tasted like smoke. I had to stop going there it was disgusting. I am so glad to see the laws changing. It is much more pleasant to go out now.
    gracer likes this.
  16. bleblanc10

This would be an effective action, but I just do not think they really care about it being smoke-free. The school just wants the ability to say that it is a smoke-free campus.
  17. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love that your city is doing this! Right now where I live we don't have any specific strict regulations on being fined or anything for people that smoke outside designated areas, but I have seen more "smoking zones" cropping up, I guess in an effort to confine smokers to a certain area.

Knowing all the dangers of smoking these days, I think it's important for people who don't smoke to be able to breathe in clean, fresh air, and not have to breathe in second hand smoke!
    gracer likes this.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

Funny you say this.
    I was recently on a university campus for a theological seminar.
    The campus had its own mini police force with special constables, security guards and by-law enforcement officers.
    I saw one by-law guy with a "smoking enforcement" jacket on getting students to move to the designated smoking area.
    I asked one of the co-coordinators of the seminar who worked at the university if this was common.
    She replied that yes it was, they take it very seriously and do actually lay fines for students who don't listen.
    gracer likes this.
  19. Joethefirst

I think it wasn't only non-smokers that were glad to see that. I remember going into shopping centers and all you smelt was tobacco. It's nice going into a place and it smells nice and clean.
    gracer likes this.
  20. Oguh

Oguh Member

I lived in France almost all my life and I remember a time when you could smoke anywhere and it was unbearable even as a smoker.
    Even before that my mom who's almost 65 used to tell me that when she was at the university you couldn't even see the teacher because of all the smokers.
    It is much better now.
    gracer likes this.