An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoke Free Zones in Cities

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by gracer, Jan 27, 2016.

1. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I am one of those people that believes that all public areas should be smoke free. I don't know if making it harder for people to light up will make them want to quit even more, but me as a non-smoker shouldn't have to put up or breathe in what they are putting in the air. Second hand smoke can cause cancer the same as smoking the actual cigarette. That would be like handing someone a tainted cookie and telling them eat this, and you will die tomorrow and the person agrees to it. Why would I agree to inhale something that can cause cancer? If you want to smoke your cigarette, you should have to do it away from me and anyone else, and you shouldn't be able to do it in your car with your children either. Your child shouldn't have to worry about an illness caused because you needed to get your fix while driving them to school. Tobacco has too many unsafe chemicals in it. If you want to harm your body, then do it alone and spare the rest of us.
    gracer likes this.
  2. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I totally agree with you. I still see a lot of smokers outside our city who smoke even when they're in front of their children and it really disgusts me much. Even my father-in-law does that until now. I remember when we used to live near them, I had to call my 4-year-old son away from him because he was puffing out smoke in front of my child. It really annoys me how irresponsible some people could act that they don't even think of others' welfare when they do their vices.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is true globally, I think even smokers found the laws that have been implemented a welcome change. When they first put into place the first restrictions, they thought that there would be a up roar, in fact it was exactly the opposite.
    gracer likes this.
  4. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I'm not a smoker, but I've never been in favor of smoking bans, whether they be indoor or outdoor. I'm not convinced of the dangers of passive smoking, and when I weigh up the cost to civil liberties versus the benefits to health, I'd prefer the government fell on the side of civil liberties. I know that's a contentious opinion, but it's what I think.
    gracer likes this.
  5. 6up

6up Community Champion

Unfortunately where I live you can see people smoking around, there are no designated smoking zones. This really affects those who are allergic to smoke. Many young people have been influenced into smoking, as a result. I hope that one day smokers will be prohibited from smoking at public places.
    gracer likes this.
  6. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Definitely agree! Now to be honest I had been a smoker for a very long period of time and only recently managed to quit, but I can talk from experience and say that passive smoking is a barely nocive thing... I know a lot of people beg to differ with me, but it's what I think. Again, I'm solely talking from experience. My workplace is filled with smokers all the time, and I inhale that now-horrendous smoke... still, I haven't noticed many changes.
  7. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I also think that smokers and non-smokers alike accept the smoking bans in public because it's for the greater good. I also used to smoke but I only smoked in smoking areas. I never liked smoking just anywhere whenever I felt like it because I still felt that despite my urge for smoking, a lot of people wouldn't want to smell the fumes of cigarette.