An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoke shop question

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Dominica, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

hey everyone. there's a friend of mine who's family member opened a smoke shop. are there certain things this person should definitely NOT be selling? like i know k2 is dangerous... but not sure about what else. i also know kratom is sold so i will see about that. i'm NOT really for that b/c it has mixed reviews.... but i may have some influence here and just wonder.... anyone have some input?
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dominica... I have no idea. Except for sure K2 is an absolute no. I'm wondering if there's a way for them to check state/local laws as a starting point (probably something they've already done or thought of). If it were me, I wouldn't sell kratom. But there's probably a market for it, so I'm sure it's a tough call for a business.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Thanks. I'm not even for smoke shops at all... (Yuck).... but not everyone shares my views. I just want to be able to say, "Um, please for the love of humanity don't sell......a, b, c" :)
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  4. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Definitely no K-2,Kratom is a hard one for me because more studies need to be done and I have heard good and bad.In the case of life long heroin addicts that switch to Kratom it can be a life saver from what I've read in multiple articles, when I say life long heroin addicts im talking 10+ year's daily..in many of this case's Kratom has helped those addicts get their lives back on track,however for the younger people with maybe 6-18 month's of heroin use Kratom can very well become their new addiction and if they turn from heroin to Kratom early on in use then yes the Kratom becomes a totally new addiction and problem. I believe strongly it depends on the scenario, time on heroin,attempts to quit,etc.This is strictly my opinion but if a couple came into a smoke shop I owned and say they had kids and in that moment they were going to try Kratom with the intention of giving up heroin I would gladly sell it in those circumstances because I've read of several families going from homeless heroin user's to productive healthy family unit's simply by switching to Kratom. It's a slippery slope indeed but from what I have read its typically the younger heroin addicts who switch to Kratom in a toxic way.My opinion it should be sold in a smoke shop but the owner should post a sign which says right to refuse service to anyone and should educate themselves on who may be more likely to abuse it versus who may switch to stabilize their lives.It is like I said a hard decision but for some it appears to have saved not just lives but helped stabilize families so they can work and provide for their children. Almost all of the synthetic spices-herbs-bathsalts are toxic and could cause death unfortunately when a person buys and or opens a smoke shop the reality is 70% of the business does come from drug user's. Those little round glass "incense burners"are actually meth pipe's, those water bong's are used for both marijuana and smoking meth....so basically if you own a smoke shop your client's are in large part addicts
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Dominica

it's a vape shop... maybe that's not a smoke shop?? but probably kinda the same. i'll find out tomorrow when i stop by... yes, more research needs to be done on kratom, for sure, but i can see your points.

i hope you're doing well arthur!
    True concern likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hey, @Dominica... Read this article from The Washington Post. I think you'll find it interesting.

"We killed the cigarette. What we got in return is mango-flavored nicotine in ‘party mode.’"

From the article:

"Where early e-cigs tended to mimic cigarettes — and hilariously generated more smoke than a fog machine — the Juul is as far removed from a cigarette as you can get. A sleek little brick that looks like a USB flash drive, it flickers with colored light, puffs discreetly and smells like nothing at all. It is the iPhone of smoking, and the kids are wild for it.

But Juuling, health professionals say, also carries the dangers of the death stick of the past. It is raising alarms by hooking youth on nicotine at a time when old-fashioned smoking has been hitting a steep decline."
  7. True concern

I hope so to Dominica!Have a beautiful evening
    Dominica likes this.
  8. Dominica

@deanokat thanks for sharing that article. i am so against all of this and it angers me... AND, i wish people would wake up on all sides of the "vaping" crap. like WAKE UP.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  9. True concern

Ya its pretty fuc×ing upsetting to think I might catch my little sister with a pretty princess thumb drive that she is smoking out of,or maybe big tobacco will trick her with some cotton candy flavored bullshit....I didn't read the article because im already aware of their tricks and im scared it will make me even madder,however I will be as honest as I can....If i ever catch my sister with any of those things I will find out what smoke shop sold it to her and well.............I don't know what I would do :rolleyes: and i think that about sums it upo_O
    deanokat likes this.