An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoked Marijuana and the Lungs.

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by bsthebenster, Sep 23, 2015.

1. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I have been using marijuana medically for a while now; I have a licence and everything so it's completely legal. I was wondering about its effect on the lungs. Sometimes I notice my lungs feel a little sick, like they can't move as well as when I was younger. If tried other injestion methods but smoking is usually more conviniant and has a quicker effect on helping get rid of my symptoms. It seems like I have this lung problem even when I don't injest it by smoking. I'm thinking I might have asthma. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice for my lungs? And no I can't just stop taking medical Marijuana, my chronic illness would go bonkers.
  2. Skyler

Skyler Member

Have you considered using a vaporizer? It is still a way to ‘smoke’ weed (as opposed to ingesting it in an edible product) but without it being hard on your lungs.

Vaporizers have really come down in price over the past few years although you will still find a big range in cost depending on the type. If inhaling smoke is an issue for you it might be worth checking out.
    bsthebenster likes this.
  3. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It makes the lungs get caked up with residue just like smoking cigarettes would. When I used to smoke marijuana, I would cough and brown residue would come up. It clouds up your lungs, it's not totally harmless.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

You know what? I don't know why the word "legal" has the power to make people feel alright about doing something. Don't take this personal, because it's not, it's just an observation. For example, we all know what crack can do to the body and mind, still, if it becomes legal, lot's of other people besides addicts would be doing it, because the word legal makes it safe and ok to do so in their minds. I've always been an anti-establishment kind of guy, but I also understand that sometimes governments have to take some measures. They treat us like children because we act like children. Nobody has to tell you what's good or bad for you, because deep inside, you just know.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Marijuana has a bad effect on lungs just like cigarettes. You are still inhaling smoke and this is not food for your lungs. There are people who argue that marijuana is better for you than cigarettes, but both can cause lung cancer.
  6. bsthebenster

By legal I mean I've been prescribed it by a doctor. Other medication is a lot more damaging to me. Trust me I've tried it. Marijuana is my only option to manage a chronic condition. If I do not manage my symptoms my body will cause permanent damage to itself and I'll have to get part of my body removed. I'm just looking for some other ways to take my medication with less side effect. I thought asking here I could get some advice about other methods that I may have not heard of. I hope this clears up the confusion :)
  7. bsthebenster

I've never heard of it causing cancer, do you have any links to information about this? I would really like to do some research. I've read studies about tobacco causing cancer but not marijuana. In fact I've read about the opposite effect with marijuana. Not to say marijuana has no side effects, but I'm paticularly curious about the statistics on the link between marijuana and cancer. If you have any links I would be extreamly greatful. :)
  8. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

The heat alone from the smoke is bad for your lungs. The heat will damage your lungs and the resin will tar up your lungs.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I would second this advice. A vaporizer is much gentler on the throat and lungs yet still provides that instant effect which I can appreiate that you need for pain relief.
    bsthebenster likes this.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon there is not a lot of options as some people can have different effects and also I reckon the lungs can't handle this drug as it is not really good for the body, and should be monitored by the doctor if you are using it for chronic pain. It is interesting to see what many people think of the use of marijuana and it may seem good to try it, but the health effects can be devastating in the long run which can cause stress to the person. I think that a person needs to be aware of what can happen, when they inhale this drug in their system and hope they don't get addicted to it.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Anything which you set fire to gives off toxic fumes in the form of carbon monoxide which is poisonous to humans and can cause cancer. That includes marijuana. All the cancer fighting properties to marijuana are eliminated as soon as you light it. By burning it you are changing it's chemical composition. Smoking marijuana does not do anything to help prevent cancer, it has to be used in certain medicinal ways in order to be effective - not smoking it. Many marijuana users end up with cancer or other lung related illnesses. I know a few people myself with such illnesses as a result of using it. Don't be disillusioned by the hype. You don't know of anyone who got cancer from smoking marijuana? What about Bob Marley?
  12. bsthebenster

I am being monitored by my doctor, thanks for your concern. Marijuana is better for me than other drugs I would need to take for my disease. I've been prescribed a lot of extreamly damaging drugs to manage my condition. Marijunana is the only option I have left or I will have to get some of my body removed. I'm just trying to figure out some better ways for me to take my medication that I might not be aware of.
  13. bsthebenster

I had no idea about Bob Marley, I'll have to look that up. That's a very good point about the carbon monoxide. Plus most of the time, people will roll it and also inhale the paper. To be honest cancer isn't my first concern. Getting my colon removed is what I'm trying to prevent. All the other drugs I've been put on (immune suppressants) have cancer risks associated with it. I probably shouldn't forget the risks associated with the medical marijuana I'm prescribed, even though the risks are lower than the other medications I've tried.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, if that's the case, I don't think marijuana causes cancer. I've never heard of it, but I could be wrong. I'm sure smoke does harm the lungs in some way. Any type of smoke is harmful to the lungs. Coughing gives us a little hint that our lungs don't find it very funny when you feed them smoke. But you can do a little research to clear things up a bit just to be on the safe side.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

The original newspaper article from 1981 detailing his death was posted on the New York daily News website recently. According to the original reports, he died from lung cancer which he was being treated for and he also had a brain tumor - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/bob-marley-died-cancer-1981-article-1.2100349
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You should try a bong or vaping. The thing about a bong is it makes the smoke cooler because it get's filtered thru cold water. Vaping isn't really smoke but vapor, so that's a good alternative too. I would try making a tea out of it using coconut milk it takes longer to get into the digestive system tho. These are a few things I could think of that would help you take your medicine.
  17. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Not sure if it will cause cancer but it can lead to respiratory diseases like bronchitis and COPD just like cigarettes. Since you are using it for medical reason maybe it would be possible for you use a vaporizer to get it into your system. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about your concerns and see what the best options are.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Maybe try to consult your doctor about that and you can even try to have second opinion. Tell about what you are feeling about it and the doctor might have some advice to make you feel better. The doctor could also discuss the real effects of marijuana to your lungs and overall health.
  19. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

A friend of mine's uncle died from lung cancer, never smoked a cigarette in his life - but token up since the 80's. Cigarettes and Weed, when smoked, are no different. Although marijuana doesn't contain as much chemicals, marijuana can do just as much damage.
  20. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Smoke is not good for your lungs and whatever produces the smoke will not make it any safer so yes marijuana smoking will cause lung problems or even lung cancer just like cigarettes would. Why not take it in the form of tea or orally ingested rather than smoke?