An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoker's cough worse when quitting?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by SarahWorksAtHome, Sep 15, 2015.

1. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Every time I try to quit or cut back my smoker's cough gets a little worse and I produce more phlegm.
    Maybe lungs cleaning out?
    Anyone else have that problem?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

That's weird, it didn't happen to me and nor did it to any of my friends who quit it. I don't believe this is normal, and might be a sign of a condition which will evolve into something more severe over time if you don't pay your doctor a visit. So go and get yourself checked, better safe than sorry.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think that's a common issue when you first quit smoking. Obviously your lungs are used to the nicotine and when they stop getting that I think it their way of cleaning themselve and a form of getting over their craving.
  4. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Yes, I did have that problem, most definitely. Its the actions of your body as it tries to push all the tar, all the crap out of your lungs. It's horrible and messy but its a very good thing. After about 3-5 days your cough becomes much more productive and you start coughing up some fairly disgusting chunks of tar and phlegm. You will probably want a hankerchief to discreet dispose of them when it happens to you. When this happens you finally start to feel some real benefits of not smoking, the productive cough clears your lungs almost completely within a couple of days and you will notice your breathing is easier, your lung capacity is increased and you have much more energy, then you have no cough at all. During these two days (about 5-6 days after giving up smoking for me) the over riding NEED and CRAVING for nicoteen pretty much leaves you and you are over the worst of nicoteen addiction, give or take the odd fleeting craving. I had smoked for over 20 years when I gave up, I think you will experience this to a greater degree if you have been smoking for many years, although it will be apparent even in a relatively new smoker.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I didn't really encounter this issue but I think there's nothing to be worried about. Your body is used to all the nicotine you inhale, it has to adjust because it doesn't have to push out all the bad stuff anymore. You'll see that after a couple of days of not smoking you're going to feel normal.
  6. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I definitely had this problem! I found it increased about a week or so after quitting, for at least a couple of weeks. I think it has something to do with your lungs being able to finally start 'cleaning themselves' again (so to speak).

It's definitely a positive thing though and will stop eventually.
  7. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

that happens to me a lot, not only when I decide to stop smoking but for example if I don't smoke for 4 hours after I get up I produce a lot of phlegm and I'm really worried about that ! is this normale ?
  8. Steve Dawson

Yes, this is entirely normal. When you wake up you haven't smoked for several hours. Your body is trying to expell (get rid of) all the tar, toxins and generally yukky stuff out of your lungs. You stop coughing so much when you have your first cigarette of the day because the fresh tar you are ingesting ties up your respiratory system that now has to deal with the new intake of toxins. Its a normal thing and shows that your body is capable of fighting to get rid of the dangerous chemicals in tobacco. Its exactly the same process that Sarah experiences when she tries to give up smoking, but the very first signs of it.
  9. Jamesbonner

that was really true, no I stopped smoking and I'm caughing a lot all the day ! I keep drinking a lot of water to stop that it really annoying problem :( I wish i'll stop it and get my life back soon
  10. SarahWorksAtHome

It totally makes sense. It's annoying and bothersome but it's a good thing in the long run. I'm about to start trying to quit again and not looking forward to it but it's worth it! Thanks for explaining it to me.
  11. Steve Dawson

You shouldn't really be coughing too much more than a week after giving up smoking, as long as you have completely given up, one little puff can set you all the way back. Drinking plenty of water is always good for you, I'm about 170 pounds, fairly slim but I aim for 6 pints of water every day, and I always manage at least four. If you did totally give up more than a week ago it might be worth having a check-up with your Doctor just to ease your mind. If you haven't already, maybe take up a little brisk exercise for a short period every day, I'm a bit of an old codger and no Usain Bolt thats for sure, but I take a gentle jog up to my local store every day, only about 200 metres but great for keeping me at a decent level of fitness. If runnings not your thing then take a brisk walk, walking a mile every 15 minutes should be well within your capabilities and will do you the world of good.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is perfectly normal and is very common when giving up smoking. You are absolutely right - it is basically a result of your lungs cleaning themselves out. There are also breathing exercises you can use which helps to do this quicker. A lot of smokers get coughs, colds and infections, etc once their body starts cleaning itself out.
  13. Jamesbonner

I been coughing when I run each day a lot, I don't know why but maybe because my loungs are cleaning their selves ! I keep practice sport each day and drink more watter and I think I'll be better after a week maximum :)
    thank you for your support bro
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I haven't heard of this before but you are probably right about your lungs cleaning themselves. I would wait a few days and if you haven't had any improvement in the situation it might be time to visit the doctor. You may have a smoking related problem that you need help with or guidance on. Just because you quit smoking doesn't mean there isn't damage to your lungs already. Best of luck!

'
  15. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

This is probably why my husband told me (when he TRIED to quit smoking, lasted only a day), that his coughs are worse when he is not smoking. I guess I'm happy that his lungs are still working and expelling all the toxins. I don't think that's still enough though, but yeah, it's hard to get him off smoking.

So is coughing a normal occurrence to smokers? How do you know if the coughs are not normal anymore?
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't know maybe you should see a doctor. I have never heard of anybody having coughed up phlegm when quitting. I stopped smoking cigarettes a long time ago and this never happened to me. This sound serious, but hopefully if you see a doctor you'll find out it's not something really bad.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@SarahWorksAtHome: Like Steve Dawson said, this is completely normal, I get coughs when my cravings kick in. I'm sure it'll get better soon, in the meantime focus on developing healthy habits.
  18. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

That is happening to my stepdad right now and the phlegm is just horrible to listen to. I always hear him coughing a lot in the morning and at night. Is it something that happens while resting? Is it because he is lying down?
  19. SarahWorksAtHome

I think it may be worse when resting or laying down because it's all settling and probably causing breathing difficulties.
    I am still smoking pretty regularly, going to give it another go starting Monday. I'm a Monday starter on everything. Works better for me.
  20. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I agree with other posters here in that it just your lungs trying to get rid of all the stuff that comes with smoking. It's kind of like your stomach trying to get rid of something bad you ate by means of puking. Though make sure you go to the doctor to make sure you didn't develop any other type of condition.