An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smokers: Have people refused to ride in your car?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoanMcWench, Jun 7, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I quit smoking a while ago & I have friends who still smoke aggressively. It bothers me to an extent but not to one I had this weekend. We were heading out for a night on the town riding in my good friend's car & picking up two other people. My friend smokes & does so in her car when driving. I usually ask her to open the windows when she does & she always obliges. However, one of our group noticed from the smell of her car that she smoked & refused to ride in the car. It was a pretty arrogant thing to do as opposed to just asking her not to smoke but when I suggested this she still decided to drive her own car.

Is this normal? For me it was a first.
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That's me. I refuse to ride in another persons car that smokes. Unless I had no choice then of course I would have to ride in the smokers car. But you know what, I take it much further then that. I don't go over to peoples houses that smoke either. I just refuse. I hate the smell.
  3. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

It was one of the things I hated about having to share a car with another person on a temporary basis. Said other person smokes, and his car would constantly smell of stale cigarette smoke. I would become so paranoid that the smell stuck to me too, but apparently it didn’t. In any case, I’d be quite likely to refuse a ride in a smoker’s car and just take my own as well.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot would have to do with the circumstances. If the person is doing you a favour by giving you a ride, then you may seem a bit ungrateful to refuse, especially if it's your only option.

I think a lot of people can maybe just ask the person not to smoke while your in the car with them, surely that's a reasonable request I think.
  5. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

If the smoke really irritates you, yes, it is normal to avoid it. When I was a smoker and we were going somewhere by car, there were people refusing to go with us and preferred going by feet instead, saying that the smell was just so horrible to them. Now the smell is starting to annoy me as well. And sometimes it gets kinda tempting.
  6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

The only two people that have ever had an issue riding in my vehicle with me due to my smoking have been my mother and my best friend. Which, obviously, kinda sucks. The reason is understandable however, so I don't take it personally. My mother has really bad asthma and sinus problems and smoke is a trigger for those. My best friend is actually allergic and gets incredibly sick whenever she is around tobacco smoke. Other than those VERY understandable situations, I've never had anyone tell me my truck stank or they didn't want to ride with me. I keep it well ventilated and keep air fresheners in my air vents.
  7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoke and have never had anyone do that to me. My boyfriend is a non smoker and can't stand it and he rides in the car with me, but I have the common courtesy to not smoke in the car at all when there is a non smoker riding with me. I know the smell still lingers, but no nobody has ever turned down a ride because of it.
  8. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I would not ride inside another persons car that smokes. I can't breathe around smoke. I mean and some people don't like the smell in their clothes. I am one of those people. I think that they should air their cars out as much as possible. I mean it wont help to clean the car because they will just keep on smoking in it.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

When I smoked, I never did it in the car anyhow so this was never an issue. I used to do it until one day I dropped my cigarette and burnt a hole in the seat. Since then, I would just wait or pull over and get out of the car for a smoke.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It does seem more extreme than some people's reactions, for sure - but I don't think it's unwarranted. I used to smoke, and now that I've quit I find the smell so overbearing and strong that it really makes me feel almost on the verge of passing out and nauseous a lot of the time. If the windows were rolled down, I'm sure it wouldn't be so bad, but I also think a person has the right to choose - even if someone is offering them a ride. Who knows - the person may have been a former smoker on the recovery road and the smell may have just been too much for them!
  11. SarahWorksAtHome

That is an EXCELLENT point. I didn't really think about it before. When I was trying to quit before I couldn't be around the smell or around anyone smoking because I wanted one so badly.
  12. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

When secondhand smoke became an issue I became a conscientious smoker. I don't smoke in my vehicle. I take care to change my clothes if I have been smoking so as not to offend friends and family who don't smoke. I have a couple of designated areas in my home for smoking so my house doesn't constantly smell like stale smoke.

But because I do smoke I have encountered "no smoking in my car." I wouldn't have out of respect for the owner but other passengers as well.
  13. SarahWorksAtHome

I encounter the "no smoking in my car" frequently as many of my friends and family are non smokers.
    I wouldn't, if they weren't a smoker already or I knew others smoked in their car and they allowed it anyways.
    I do, however, often find ways around riding for long periods of time in others' cars that don't allow smoking as riding and/or driving are situations I "need" a smoke in.
  14. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's exactly what I was thinking! For a while the smell of cigarettes was as enticing as a fresh pizza straight from the oven -- I mean now, I can't stand the smell, but for several months after I gave them up if I was around the smell I would have given in and asked for a cigarette even if I didn't have any on me. So maybe their refusal to get in the car was for more than just avoiding the second hand smoke smell. Everyone is fighting their own battles - some of which we never even know about!
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I totally hate the smell of stale cigarette smoke, the smell is just disgusting and totally penetrating! I hate it! If I don't know the person well I might not refuse, but if I do... I'd rather drive my own car. My fiance smokes in his car, he had stopped but now he does, as a result the car stinks so bad!!!!!

Maybe I'm too sensitive, I don't know, but that smell does seem to hurt my nose when I breath it. Not sure how people can ride in something like that! What a gross thing to do to your car. Plus I have heard the smoke of the cigarette after a while does damage the interiors of the car.
  16. SarahWorksAtHome

You know, that's so true.
    I have a friend I JUST found out is a smoker and she has been a smoker for years. She hides it incredibly well and she is now trying to quit. I wouldn't dream of lighting up near her.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

Most people like smoking in their cars without realising how much they are affecting those travelling with them. Cigarette smoke smells bad inside a car. If it was me then I could have avoided the ride and tell him to behave. Since most people will keep quiet fearing to be dropped then that habit will continue. We need to tell them openly no matter what.