An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking and Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by DTracy3, Jan 28, 2015.

1. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Hi. When a friend's mother was pregnant, the Doctor told her not to stop smoking cold turkey, since a baby would go through the withdrawal too and it would be healthy to slowly ease into it. Anyone knows if this is true or if the doctor was talking nonsense?
  2. Morgan

Morgan Member

It is true although I am not a medical expert and it is merely an opinion. The baby is affected by anything that goes into the mother's body whether it is food, drink or anything else. I think staying away from anything that is even remotely considered to be bad for the baby will be a wise thing to do.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not in the medical field but I think better to make the mother stop smoking immediately. The withdrawal symptoms could not be that bad especially if the mother could handle it well as some might not have bad withdrawal symptoms and that will be good for both the mother and the baby.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

From what I've read in biological journals, an expectant mother who smokes is a danger to herself and to the unborn child. She is two times more to have a miscarriage than a non smoker.To the unborn child,the effects are myriad; low birth weight, slow brain growth, susceptible to heart conditions and stunted growth among others. I guess the doctor wasn't talking nonsense.
  5. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

That sounds weird. Regardless of what anyone says on this forum, if a doctor said this to a friend or to you or to me, I'd say that looking for a second opinion should be considered. Would patches not be enough to supply the nicotine for the time when your body needs to learn to produce it itself again? That's just puzzling.
  6. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I was worried about the same thing when my sister was pregnant with my nephew, she would secretly continue smoking despite everyone's warnings. I was just glad that my nephew came out fine and he is now a healthy 11 year old. Or maybe it did have some effect on him but my mom took him under her wing almost immediately and gave him the best care possible.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Of course, smoking is definitely harmful to pregnancy. Encourage your friend to tell her mother to stop this thing or she'll surely regret it in the end.
  8. olb1213

olb1213 Member

I had a friend who gave everyone the same story. Supposedly, her doctor told her not to quit completely during pregnancy because it would cause the baby to suffer withdrawal. I personally think it was just her excuse not to quit. Her baby was underweight as a direct result of her continued smoking. The healthiest thing to do is quit as soon as possible!
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Giving up smoking would have to be the first priority if you are pregnant, and that includes the people closest to you. Disregarding all alleged medical advice, I feel that exposing your unborn child to withdrawal symptoms is less damaging than to continue poisoning it with cigarettes. Personally, I would feel like a criminal if I exposed my child, born or unborn, to nicotine and all the other toxic substances that are contained in cigarettes.