An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking around your children

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoanMcWench, May 4, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Is it just me or has this drastically changed from when I was growing up? My entire family smoked & smoked aggressively. I can remember holidays as a child where it was tough to find the tree through the smoke if it weren't for the lights on it. When was the turning point?

Before I had my first child I smoked. I was, I suppose, what you would call a 'social smoker'. However, in retrospect I was just a smoker. Was it after the late late 90's that people started to consider that smoking around children was an epic issue or did it have more to do with economic status?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

As the dangers of smoking became more and more apparent, people started to smoke less.

Then there was the issue of 2nd hand smoke, again, people took that on-board and so started smoking less when in public.
  3. miro1231

miro1231 Member

The direct dangers of smoking weren't even known to man about 50 years ago, that's when it was discovered that cigarettes actually are harmfull, think about the time needed so people could actually realize that second-hand smoke is dangerous. I think it's due to this, and party due to the mentality of later generations, people change.
  4. Corten

Corten Member

That's so careless, like you don't care about your own child's health and well-being. If they really do that, they those parents should reconsider their lifestyle and quite possibly change it. There are proven negative effects of second-hand smoking and it's definitely not healthy for a child.
  5. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Active Contributor

I think that it became an issue after it was linked to a series of different diseases. Because technology and research is so much more advanced than it was in the past, people are able to understand the dangers of smoking. They were probably able to link the diseases with age level and able to understand now that individuals should not be exposed to such toxins at such an early age.
  6. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I don't see why it has to be only around children. No one (children, adult, doesn't matter) isn't obliged to breathe in the smoke from someone else's cigarette. This is especially valid for non-smokers. They are not used to that and it's very unhealthy to be in a room where you can't see anything because of the "fog". Also, it is showing really bad manners.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I remember that as well. Nothing was ever said about second hand smoke until maybe 1995. In high school the word second hand smoke was being thrown around a lot. Maybe it became new guide lines in the education system.
  8. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

It was back in high school in health class or a speaker would come in and tell us about the dangers of second hand smoke. Not to mention the thos egod awful videos they made us watch about smoking, drugs, and puberty. I remember them driving that message into your heads...........second hand smoke.
  9. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Here in the Philippines, education on smoking really came late. I mean in the province, it is not unusual to see teenagers buying cigarettes at small stores. lgdg090596 summed it up quite well. Education happened. I no longer see advertisements of hot chicks smoking. And currently, there is a bill in our congress seeking to put graphic images of effects of smoking in packs.
  10. aztec99

aztec99 Member

Yeah, things have changed a lot. People just didn't understand how dangerous smoking was when I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. Hardly anyone considered second hand smoke to be an issue in those days. But today, with the information that is available, it is simply irresponsible for an adult to smoke around children.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that it could be because we are now more aware of the dangers of smoking. Before, it seems that you are in a high society if you are smoking as mostly portrayed on movies or someone who is tough. Now, smoking is considered as a bad vice and very dangerous.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

In the past, smoking was made to look cool. Actors were smoking in movies, characters in books [including children] were smoking and there was this general belief that smoking wasn't all that bad. However as the campaign against smoking picked up steam and people realized how wrong they were, they started smoking less around their children which is great because second hand smoke is also harmful in many ways.
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Studies say that smoking around people, not only children, which is called passive smoking, is even more lethal than actual smoking, which is quite interesting to hear. So whether you smoke or not, you're still exposed to risks because others can't keep their vices for themselves.
    And to answer your question, in these days people seem to better know the risks of smoking and don't want to punish others, but not rarely can you see people still doing whatever they want to do.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Another thing which have been put into the spotlight lately it's that children tend to follow everything they see at the persons they respects the most, so be sure that one day your kid will come home smoking if he saw you doing this all day. That should be a good enough reason to not smoke around your children or even not at all.
  15. Tryner

Tryner Member

My house was full of smoke 24/7 growing up. That's probably why I smoke now, but my siblings don't, so I dont know. Now that I have a kid, I'd never smoke around her. She's never even seen me smoke. It wasn't uncommon for me to burn myself on my moms cigarettes, and I have way more scars from that than any child should have.

Earlier today, I saw a woman holding a newborn. She was smoking. It enraged me, and I nearly said something to her, but an elderly man walked up and took her cigarette out of her hand. I couldn't hear them, but I'm pretty sure he was doing exactly what I was about to.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I was horrified when I found out the parents of a very close friend of mine used to smoke in the house when he was just a toddler.

He was a toddler during the 80's, their excuse now is that they didn't know better, I'm sorry, but I can't help to think they're complete idiots (and they actually are - they have done other things that prove it). It should be common sense really... during the 60's I understand people had no idea, but the 80's?? Come on!!!!

Now he was exposed to that crap during almost his entire childhood, and he has been smoking for 11 years now!! I'm worried sick for him... and kinda despise his parents for doing what they did. I hope he doesn't get lung cancer, poor thing, he was just a baby when he was first exposed...
  17. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I actually had the bad luck of being exposed to that nasty thing, a friend of my mom used to smoke so much. We were visiting her, so we couldn't tell her to go outside or something, lol. Plus her house smelled to cigarette smoke... God, how i hated going there.... Most smokers lack manners, that woman did so she smoked in front of us.

I had a nightmare not so long ago that reminded me of that place, I was locked in a house that was grey with smoke!!! Breathing was so hard... it was like the air was just cigarette smoke. Yes, I'm sure that nightmare was based on my past visits to that house.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It basically depends on what country you live in or the type of culture your society upholds. There seems to be a difference between regular Christian homes and less religious families where I'm from. Strictly Christian homes could not tolerate smoking especially in front of children. Homes that adhere to a strong set of values are likewise of the same practice. There are loving but liberal homes, on one hand, where parents did not mind smoking while their kids are around.