An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking Banned in Public Places

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't smoke. Everytime I turn the news on I see that more places and states are banning smoking in public places and restaurants. I happen to like this. There's nothing more that pisses me off when I'm in a empty bar or establishment and a smoker, that has the entire place to sit, sits next to me and decides to light up. Needless to say, I'm glad these laws are popping up all over the USA.

How do you smokers feel about these laws and regulations?
  2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

No one likes being told they can do something only for that something to be restricted or regulated later in a way that affects their life. I've always felt if the government felt it was alright to ban the use of something than why not ban it all together? You cannot justify the ends with the means. Taxes shouldn't change the course of important decisions.
  3. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

I have to agree, especially in restaurants! I remember when they used to have a smoking and non-smoking area in most restaurants I went to, and even if the smoking area was well ventilated, the smoke would still linger around the entire restaurant. I have nothing against smokers, but in confined public places it is not only your health that you're damaging but also the health of others around you, which is very inconsiderate indeed!
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm a smoker, and I'm in favor of this decision. I think public places should remain neutral but there should also be designated areas for smokers as much as possible. I'm not in favor of them banning businesses from allowing their customers to smoke though.
  5. purplepapaya

purplepapaya Member

I am also in favor of banning smoking in public places. I understand that smokers may feel like their rights are being infringed upon, but I also feel like nonsmokers have the right to clean air (or as clean as the air is these days...we'll say smoke-free air). I admit it was irritating when I was a smoker that it seemed I couldn't smoke anywhere, but I definitely get it, and I am on the side of the law on this one.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a smoker so, this banning is really a good news for me.
    Smoking in public places is already a law here but not strictly implemented. It is very irritating that there are smokers everywhere in here like in a public market, near schools and on streets.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I get the whole not smoking inside thing. I really do. But as far as banning smoking outside? I'll smoke wherever I want. I don't throw the butts on the ground, just pollute the air. Seeing as how I don't drive a car or take planes, I don't feel at all bad for it. If someone is going to drive their gas guzzling car to a restaurant, I'm going to smoke outside of the restaurant. At the end of the day, car drivers are hurting the ones around them more than I am.
  8. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

These laws and regulations are a step in the right direction as smokers the world over seem not to understand the effects of passive smoking. Even though there are designated areas where they can smoke, you will still find them creating a nuisance to the general public when they light up on the wrong areas.
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I think it is a step in the right direction as there will be a lot of children, people with bad health, and pregnant women that will be protected by such laws. However, unfortunately, I think it will not have that much impact on the overall smoking habit of the population. People will find another place to smoke anyway despite those laws popping everywhere. Overall, I support those laws, though.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'm an ex-smoker but even before I quit, I agreed that smoking in indoor public places shoud be outlawed. Second hand smoke is harmful and it's unfair to inflict it on others. I was quite happy to pop outside when I wanted to smoke.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I was a smoker for more than 15 years. Not a heavy one, but still, I had a liking for tobacco. I am not offended by cigarette smoke around me, but I heavily endorse anti-smoking. I always say that if you need to light up, then go to some place where you don't disturb others. And, please take all your butts with you. Don't pollute the environment with your ignorance or indifference.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm a smoker and here in the UK its being banned in more and more places. To be honest it doesn't bother me at all, I choose to smoke and I respect other peoples decision not to smoke so I have no problem in going outside or into designated smoking areas. I don't smoke in my own home, so I wouldn't dream of smoking in anybody else's or in a bar or any place else.
    I think a lot of it has to do with respecting others, I have never been told to stop smoking or been asked to put a cigarette out because I've never lit one up in a place that may cause offence. If people want to smoke then do it somewhere that isn't going to offend anybody.

Having said that, here in the UK they are trying to ban people from smoking in their own cars, I don't smoke in my car (or anybody elses) anyway but I don't agree with people being told what to do in the own private space if that makes sense?
  13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I do not smoke and when our municipal head in the city passed a law that smoking is prohibited in some areas of our place like in schools, shopping malls, churches, hospitals malls, public and private offices many people are glad including me for this new ordinance. Even a person does not smoke and if are expose to smokes coming from a cigarette will pose danger to their health. That is why it is a big help also in order to have a clean and smoke free environment in our community.
  14. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

I am not a smoker, but I definately feel like, it now gives them them the freedom to puff as much as they can and blow the smoke in whichever direction they feel like , because they will not be bothering anyone who does not smoke.
  15. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

I personally do not like the fact that there are laws that ban people from smoking in public places. It is not fair that when people go to public places like clubs and bars, and they cannot enjoy the pleasure of smoking a cigarette. Me personally when I am drinking, I crave cigarettes. It is like they go hand and hand with each other. Cigarettes also relax me, so I would love to smoke them in public places where I am trying to enjoy myself and have fun. I don’t understand why people have a big issue with smoking in public places. In this country, we have the freedom to do what we want, as long as we are not causing harm to others. Smoking is really not bothering others especially in the clubs and bars. People should just focus on doing what makes them happy and not ruin the fun for others. This law is not a good one and I do not think it will last long.
  16. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I'm not a smoker. I do agree that smoking should be banned. I hate when I'm out enjoying myself and someone lights up a cigarette.
  17. pwarbi

Smoking isn't illegal and so people , and rightly so, can have a smoke as, when and where they want.
    It should be banned. Based on what? The fact that you don't smoke and don't like it? I don't think that's a good enough reason to ban something is it?
  18. I'm a nonsmoker married to a smoker (about a pack a day or more). I personally am very much in favor of this. I have a daughter with asthma, and I get severe headaches and strong smells such as tobacco are a trigger. I don't really think that your right to smoke should supersede my right to not be in pain or my daughter to not have an asthma attack. I generally don't like laws that restrict personal rights and what people can and cannot do...unless they interfere with other people. And being in a room full of some interferes with me.

My husband, the smoker, has never really voiced concern with the laws either. He sometimes get frustrated if we are somewhere all day, like a theme park, where they have designated smoking sections only. But if we are at a restaurant, bar, theater etc. he is perfectly fine with stepping outside. I do remember that when I had our daughter, he was annoyed at the hospital for not letting him smoke on property.

Also, some people are saying that smoking shouldn't be banned in public places because it isn't illegal, etc. True, it's not illegal, but it affects the health of others. Secondhand smoke is not healthy, and even if sitting next to you in a restaurant isn't enough secondhand smoke to give me long-term health problems, it's enough to trigger a migraine in me or an asthma attack in my daughter.

Skateboards are banned on most sidewalks due to being a safety concern...skateboards are not illegal. Cell phones are not illegal, but you can't use them while driving in many places. Music isn't illegal, but loud music that bothers others is. Like I said, I'm not trying to restrict personal freedom. But when your personal choices affect others, that is when it becomes an issue.
  19. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I totally agree and it should be implemented. There are thousands of people died everyday because of a second smoke caused. Presidents in very nations must implement a law to protect non-smokers and some agencies should provide free seminar to those smokers. I would really love to live a free smoking nation wherein less mortality in such lungs diseases like cancer.
  20. pwarbi

That wont happen, countries arent going to ban smoking in public places altogether. In certain areas they will and are doing but to suggest that ALL governments should implement a worldwide ban on smoking is a little ridiculous in my opinion.

How many governments have links to the big tobacco manufacturers and not only that, how much money is pumped into government funds through the sale of tobacco? Politicians arent stupid and to all of a sudden announce a world wide ban on smoking or smoking in public would certainly not be winning them very many votes.