An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking Banned in Public Places

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'm more in favor of banning it outdoors since indoors is or should be under the regulation for whoever owns the place and not the government. If a restaurant or bar wants to allow indoor smoking then they should be allowed to do so since they pay no less taxes for their business than anyone else and should be allowed to operate as they see fit.
  2. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

The problem with smoking outside is that it affects the people around you. I understand the irritation of having the government say I can't smoke in my favorite bars. I mean, that is being implemented in here in my country. But I do understand that people around me are affected when I smoke. I mean, what if I smoke and someone sitting next to me has asthma. Smoking in public should be illegal for me. But at the same time, public spaces should have designated areas for smokers. If smoking is legal, people should always have the option to smoke.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I see no reason not to have designated smoking areas for people who want to smoke outside. This would stop people smoking on the streets and in doorways where the smoke does affect people. Having a set out area for people to smoke will stop all of that.

Smoking inside I agree, I think that should be banned, a lot of places it already is.

I don't smoke indoors anywhere, not even in my own house or car so I certainly wouldn't smoke in anybody else's.
  4. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I am not a smoker and I'm glad that it's banned in public places now. However, it really is not the solution. I still see a lot of people smoking it and risking getting caught.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Banning something very rarely helps any situation, people just either ignore the ban or work a way around it. Look what happened when the use of alcohol was banned in the prohibition era, people still drank, nothing changed.

I think the best way to deal with this is to find a compromise because at the moment everybody seems to just be going round in circles. People shouldn't smoke, but they do and its not illegal, so effectively they can...but they shouldn't...but they do...etc.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Thank you for taking the time to speak on the behalf of the smokers that don't like the new laws and restrictions. It's good to hear that side of the story as well.
  7. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

You are welcome. I just do not think it is fair and I also do not see what is the big deal. I know that when I go out anywhere and there is alcohol available, I would like to have the pleasure of smoking a cigarette. I know people are concerned about the harmful effects of second hand smoking, but there are some who enjoy smoking in public where it is allowed. Smoking should not be banned and people should have certain areas where they can go and smoke freely without disturbing others.
  8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

In my country it's forbidden to smoke in closed public spaces, not outdoors ones. I would like that smoking would be banned all together because sometimes it's really annoying to be get the smoke from other people.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I think it's a sign of respect not smoking near someone who doesn't smoke. No one has to inhale your smoke after all, not even to mention that passive smoking is worse than regular smoking. That's why I only go to bars during the winter. I can't stand all the smoke!
  10. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I am like you, I don't smoke anywhere indoors and even my car. I would like to see more smokers use the receptacles for their cigarette butts though when outside. I hate seeing smoker just toss the ends on the street when the receptacles are right in front of them!

At one of my work centers, we smokers are responsible for the designated outdoor smoking area. On an honor system, we sweep and clean up the area. If the area is found messy, it gets closed until further notice. We even have fire extinguishers in the area so you can see the management is pretty serious about keeping the area clean and neat.
  11. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I know smokers are pissed about these new ordinances. Non smokers are now rejoicing. Personally, because I hardly go out and spend money in these types of establishments, it doesn't bother me. But I hear mixed thoughts about it. The opinion varies on if you smoke or not.
  12. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

In my state this is banned and I personally like it. I don't want to take my kids to a restaurant or somewhere and have someone smoking neXT to us. I hate That. People need to consider children and give them a chance.
  13. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

They don't like it. I was in one place that he owner was collecting quarters for an ash tray. If someone wanted to smoke they needed to donate .25cents towards fighting the law. It was actually the law in that state that you couldn't smoke. This bar owner was allowing it and going against the law. Who knows if that money will actually go for fighting the smoking ordinance.
    Maybe some smokers don't mind it. They won't smell of smoke as much as when they would sit in a smoky bar. One would certainly wreak of it after that. If it is really cold out I don't think they like to have to go outside. I like the ordinance.
  14. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

Yeah, second hand smoking is proven to be damaging, so I feel like these laws are benefitial especially for people that have asthma or stuff like that.
    You never know, smoking next to people who suffer with that could be extremely dangerous to them.
    And besides I don't feel like it's necessary to smoke in a restaurant anyways.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, in my country there are some places which have a designated space for smokers but most of the public spaces around here don't really care if a person smokes or not. People don't bat an eye, and I find the lack of interest to be quite uncanny.
  16. lalabee21

lalabee21 Active Contributor

I really do want to quit smoking, that’s why I joined here in the first place, but God I hate this stupid law! It’s just not fair, bars and restaurants should have a smoking area, and if non-smokers don’t want to be close, well then they should stay away. We all have rights, and if non-smokers suffer from asthma or allergies or whatever then they should stop going to places where there’re people smoking, it’s as simple as that. Restaurants where there are kids I don’t agree but can understand, but bars and night clubs? It’s just stupid they don’t let us smoke in those places.
  17. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I know from personal experience that these laws aren't extremely effective (at least as far as college campuses go). My school became smoke-free about a year ago and "banned" students from smoking on campus. For the first few weeks, you would have an agitated or patient student remind smokers that it's not allowed, but after a couple of months nothing really changed. The same smoking spots that existed before the ban were still there, and the same smokers kept on smoking (me included).

If this became an actual law in a city, and was scrutinized by the police, then it would probably be more effective.
  18. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Smоking shоuld bе bаnnеd tо rеduсе pоllutiоn аnd disеаsе. First оf аll it will signifiсаntly rеduсе thе risk оf hеаrt аttасks аnd оthеr disеаsеs, pаrtiсulаrly аmоng individuаls suсh аs сhildrеn аnd nоn-smоkеrs. Sесоndly, it will hеlp publiс plасеs bе lеss tоxiс аnd wе wоn't hаvе tо dеаl with pоllutiоn. Finаlly, It соuld аlsо hеlp sоmе pеоplе quit smоking. If pеоplе wеrе аllоwеd tо smоkе in publiс plасеs thеy mаy nоt bе аs mоtivаtеd tо stоp smоking аs thеy аrе with nоt bеing аllоwеd tо smоkе in publiс аrеаs.
  19. melody

melody Active Contributor

In Ohio, we have voted in laws about smoking. I do want to say that the way they wrote the laws was very, very confusing. Even the well educated found themselves trying to figure out if no meant yes an yes meant no. The measure did pass, outlawing smoking in public places (with a few exceptions), but it almost didn't because politicians made the wording so complicated.
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think this is a common thing in most places now days. They still have places where there are non smoking and smoking sections tho. I think that it's only fair that people have a choice whether they can smoke or not, still I think there should be there own section for that. Most establishments that ban smoking will most likely be family friendly where children will be also.