An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking Banned in Public Places

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Mar 3, 2015.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

The government won't ban smoking altogether because it would be argued that it's infringing on the rights of persons to do what they would like to do. There is also the strong lobby from the tobacco manufacturers which also a factor that is preventing a total ban. However, I am in agreement with the banning of smoking withing certain public spaces. Second-hand smoke can be equally dangerous as actual smoking of the stuff. If someone wants to smoke and cause a danger to their health, that's okay with me, however, I am not in favour them putting me in danger in the process.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Banning something isn't going to stop people doing it, no matter what the reasons are. If anything placing a worldwide ban on smoking would only temp the younger generation into wanting to do it more, as it will be seen as another way to rebel against the system.

For the people that smoke already, there will be a black market that will open up like there is now with other drugs. Marijuana and cocaine are banned but people still take those drugs don't forget.
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

When the first laws started to get passed they expected an upheaval, but the opposite is true. I think that smokers also enjoy going these places and have a break from smoking. Just as long as there is place to have a quick one there hasn't and won't be a big problem.
  4. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Smoking in public was outlawed down here in South Africa over a decade ago. Bar and restaurant owners were the ones who raised a stink, and tried to fight the legislation from passing through. They were claiming that they would go out of business but that ended up being a false over-reaction.

Everything is hunky dory, no eateries went out of business because of this law. In fact, it's a lot more pleasant for us non-smokers to go out and have a bite to eat, without having to inhale second hand smoke.
  5. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I absolutely love the smoking bans in public places. We are all aware of the health effects of second hand smoke. It only makes sense to ban it in places where many other people are being exposed to the cigarette smoke. That said, I'm certainly also in favor of designated areas for smokers.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think it's not only non-smokers that benefit from this, even smokers do. i think the majority of smokers don't mind stepping outside or going to a smokers section to relieve their addiction.
  7. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

Bars and clubs should have the option of having separate rooms for smoking and vaping. The ban has also affected Turkish cafes and makes the use of shisha pipes rather difficult. I know a cafe that's been converted so it's "open air" but the government should really have applied a bit more common sense with this.
  8. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

I'm in agreement that smoking in public should be banned. Even as a smoker there are certain places I just don't want to inhale it especially when I'm eating or places my children are sitting.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I don't smoke, so there is nothing that annoys me more than one of those awfully selfish smokers who decides it's ok to force everyone else to breathe in that crap. Specially if done in a public place, that is a big no no! People who does that in public places are some of the most selfish people ever, I feel no respect for people who does that. Just the other day a woman was smoking inside a government building, surprised the guard said nothing. I had to breathe in that crap, so did the kids around us as well.
  10. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'm on the fence with these laws to be honest. There are some instances, at least here in Ohio, where you can still smoke indoors in some businesses, but it's mainly just smoke shops where there primary revenue is from selling smoking related items. From what I recall, the percentage your revenue from smoking related products has to be above a certain threshold in order for to be allowed to permit smoking in your establishment.

My gripe is, I think it should be permitted for a bar owner to convert their bar over to a private club which accommodates smokers. In other words, there are plenty of other places for non smokers to go out and enjoy themselves, but if someone wants to open a bar or restaurant that caters specifically to smokers, they can't, which doesn't seem fair to me.
  11. puneeth8994

puneeth8994 Active Contributor

Well, they have certainly started campaigning a lot towards it. It makes me feel sad though. I mean, the society was something that influenced people and now it's trying to portray them as these bad influences which should be stopped forcibly at all costs. That doesn't make sense to me and I think it's a matter of personal choice. As long as a person's habit doesn't interfere with someone's life or personal space, It's pretty fine.
  12. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

In my opinion, smoking should be banned in public places. Well, many non-smokers are present at the public places and they don't seem to like if anyone smokes at that place. So, it's a good news for me. I am in favour of the news and I would like this law to be implemented at every 'public' place.
  13. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I think that it is because it could be benefitial to some people however I might just be speculating but some big companies might get profit of all this, people recurring to medics more often and whatnot. It's the media and whatever it portrays is POSITIVE for society when it shouldn't be that way. However that's just my opinion.
  14. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I think that is alright because some people DO NOT enjoy being around smokers or the smoke itself because the smell is really distinctive to our noses and it might be unhealthy to some people, you never know what problems the person next to you might have and so that's a good way to avoid unecessary problems.
  15. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

As a smoker that is trying to quit I like the new rules that they are implementing. Not only does it make it harder for smokers to smoke, but it also makes it easier to quit without the accessibility.
  16. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

In South Africa smoking is banned in public buildings like malls and smoking is only allowed 15 yards or more from entrances. It is also illegal to smoke in a vehicle with a child younger than 13 with you. I don't mind regulation especially regarding smoking around children.