An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking in a Certain Place

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by dreeklass, Nov 30, 2014.

1. dreeklass

dreeklass Member

I find that when I smoke Marijuana, I have to go outside and do it. I know that some people will smoke inside their houses. But I spend most of my time inside of my house, and when I smoke it is almost like a break for me. Smoking in a place where I am most of the time kind of defeats the purpose? I don't know if I am making sense lol.

I was talking to a friend about this, and he says that his place to smoke is in his car. He will smoke outside, and even in the house. But he doesn't get the same fulfillment that he gets when he is in his own world in his car. So his car is his place to smoke.

Do you have a specific place?
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I still used to smoke marijuana, which is now many years ago, I always preferred to do it in a safe place, such as my friend's house. I would never smoke in public, as I was worried about my reactions to the dope, such as experiencing sudden panic attacks. I gave up marijuana because it always had a highly stimulating effect on me, which caused me to overreact in many different ways. That's why I gave it up rather quickly.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My parents use to smoke in the house or on camping trips. Always away from public eye. There was no special reason. It is illegal to smoke it in Hawaii, so I can see why they did it privately.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think we all have our rituals of how we like to do things, even when it doesn't make sense to others. I myself have some specifications on how I like to watch movies at home so I totally understand. Also, I like drinking certain types of drinks when smoking cigarettes, and I also have preferred places to do it as well as the best environment and music.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Where I live weed is still illegal. Most smokers must for that reason find a secluded place where they can smoke in peace, avoid trouble, etc. I think having a special smoking place makes it easier when trying to overcome an addiction because all you'd need to do is avoid the place you used to smoke. Maybe that would fend the cravings away.
  6. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I mostly smoked outside when I did because after a few hours it gives off a stale type of smell which honestly isn't very appealing. You kind of get used to the small but if you go outside and come back in it's quite apparent.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Most people in my area of the world just smoke wherever they feel like having a smoke, including in public, even though it is still illegal here. Everyone turns a blind eye, no-one says anything. It's common to see people walking down the street smoking a joint.
  8. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

I think that it should be smoked outside of the home or places were other people who may not want contact with it are. I don't think it is fair to expose other people to it's properties just as it's not fair to do so with cigarettes.
  9. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

I go into the downstairs bathroom, its a big room and theres a mirror and a chair and I read the newspaper in there while having a smoke. Cant justify smoking in the rest of the house, 2 children to think of.
  10. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

I also love smoking in specific places. I hate just doing it anywhere and I respect that it is against the law so I respect that. When I smoke I do it in a contained same area all the time. I don't freely smoke anywhere and I would much rather prefer it that way.
  11. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I prefer to smoke in my back yard, whatever the weather. It's not that it's a special place, it's only because I don't want my house to reek should anyone drop by. A coffee with my "jazz cigarette" is an absolute must!
  12. juno

juno Community Champion

I think when people are going to a specific place to smoke marijuana, particularly if it is for medical purposes, then the effect they are seeking is more than just medical or pain relief. It is a sense of relaxation and personal space that the time to smoke is giving them.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I agree, it's about going to a personal space where nobody will disturb you and having some private time. I don't want to be interrupted whilst indulging. It shows that sometimes, quitting isn't just about not smoking marijuana, it's also about finding some kind of peace to replace what you have given up.
  14. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I find it relieving when i smoke outside my office as i get a feeling of relaxation.Even if am inside my house i make a point of getting in my backyard for a smoke.My wife is a non-smoker so i to avoid annoying her,i give her space.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Back when I used to do it, it was illegal and so I had to hide it. I would smoke in my friend's houses and never in my own. I would be totally weirded out to do it in public even though it is legal in my state now. I don't think I would ever smoke again anyway because it stinks really bad to me.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Car is probably not the smartest place to smoke. I can understand the ritual of going to a certain place it is part of the habit itself. Outside is more than likely the best. Any kind of smoke that gets into the carpet or upholstery more than likely will be tough to get out.
  17. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I sort of understand where you are coming from. Smoking pot is this relaxing thing we want to do and sometime you want to go somewhere outside where you usually are. It's the same as a vacation, you want to go away on vacation, not stay in your house where you live for most of the year. I don't smoke in the house because I don't want the smell lingering around the house.
  18. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Yeah, I wouldn't want the odor lingering around inside the car. It's also out in public where people are going to see this car filled with smoke lol. I also wouldn't want to be in a position where I drive while high.