An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking inside or outside

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

For those who do smoke, or have smoked in the past, what do you do/have done smoke inside or outside?
    Smoking is done outside at our house. I have young kids, and don't want them exposed to smoke inside their own home. I always hate how cigarette smoke makes everything in your home stink, and I hate how it makes your walls yellow.
    Most people I know smoke outside these days, but I have a few family members how smoke inside. When I was growing up my parents, and everyone I knew smoked inside.
    What about you?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was smoking both inside and outside, as I have been living alone since two years ago. I did not care at all about the smell of my flat, I was (and still am) a really messy person. Plus, most of my friends smoked so they had no problem of my apartment smelling like cigarette smoke.

But sometimes I just wanted a breath of "fresh air" so I was smoking on the balcony. It was soothing.
  3. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Whelp I have smoked for over 20 years, when my children was younger yes I did smoke in my home. Back in the day we were not aware of the implications and issues that come from second hand smoke. Yet I was careful not to smoke in the room or vehicle with them.
    Now I am much older, rarely smoke more that 5 cigarettes a day and have a granddaughter. When she is at my home I either do not smoke at all or if I do smoke I try to sneak away from her somewhere outside.
  4. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I would hope that due to the increased awareness regarding the negative impacts of second hand smoke, that most smokers would smoke outside. There are many dangers to others when smokers smoke indoors, especially to children whose lungs are still developing. People who 'need' to smoke at my house do so outside, far away from the house. The smell of cigarette smoke is gross.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've only ever smoked outside, even when smoking indoors wasn't made illegal, I've always chosen to smoke outdoors.

Even as a smoker, when people smoked inside it used to annoy me, and it still does, and I don't even smoke in my own home and never have done.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Since cigarette smoke can get to be very unpleasant and rather hard to get rid of, unless you live alone and don't mind the smell one should always smoke outside. It's best to get used to it because should you at some time start living with other people, your vice won't affect them in any way directly.

I've known people who smoke outside inside their cars. But it's just as bad as smoking inside the house because removing the cigarette smell from cars is even much harder.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have always smoked outside, but used to smoke inside my car. I really disliked the smell of stale tobacco inside my car so when I stopped smoking inside my car as well.
  8. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Whelp Joethefirst my ability to drive is slightly impaired by NOT smoking when driving. Cigarettes have been my baby sitter for many years; it is very difficult to let them go. When I get in my truck, start the engine, light a cigarette and put on my seatbelt not always in that order, then drive.
    Now that I was blessed with a new Granddaughter I will never smoke in the vehicle with her; yet we rarely travel together. I am working on stopping all together and one of the first steps is to stop smoking in most desired place. Whelp eliminated inside my house room by room, my greenhouse entry, and my plant table. Yet my truck and driving… at this point is still just not an option.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I started smoking outdoors once I bought my first house. It quickly dawned on me that any money I spent on decoration would be wasted if I was just going to smoke all over it. Also, when you smoke indoors, you haven't stopped smoking when you put the cigarette out. You continue to breathe in all the residual smoke which is lingering in the air.

So, for harm reduction purposes, smoking outdoors is the "healthiest" thing to do.
  10. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I think it's better to smoke outside away from everyone for sure.
  11. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

My father and my mother do not smoke. Nor do I. We really hate when a person comes for a visit and does not even ask if he/she could light a cigarette; instead, what they do is just light them without asking some kind of permission. I can't stand the smoke coming from the lit cigarette, and I also am of the opinion that even if people you come to visit smoke, you should always be polite enough to ask whether or not it would be appropriate.
    As for smoking inside or outside, I believe smokers should definitely use the outside area for smoking.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I used to have neighbors that smoked inside. The worst part was that there were young children in there. Some of them being nothing but babies. I have no way of knowing whether or not they smoked in the same room as the kids. The problem with smoking is that the heat would rise and the smell would get into our vents. So we could be breathing in their smoking from our sleep and we have no way to know if it was just cigs these people were smoking.
    mayasupernova likes this.
  13. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I do NOT like smoking inside. It just grosses me out. I hate it when people smoke inside and their are kids there. It is one thing to ruin your own health, but why do it to other people who have no say and do not know that it is bad for them. Horrible adults!
  14. mayasupernova

Yes, especially smoking in front of kids and babies - oh my God I would rather stay outside with my kids, than be in the room where people smoked, or else I would not allowed anyone to smoke in front of my kids. I can't possibly start to believe that there are such irresponsible parents out there in the world. :(
  15. L_B

L_B Community Champion

My spouse always smoked inside and I hated it. I am a non smoker and I had to breath is all that second hand smoke. It would make me feel sick and I had this cough I couldn't get rid of. Now that I am out of there I feel so much better. He would even smoke in front of my grand daughter. He didn't care! It was and always will be all about him and his needs and wants!
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I used to smoke inside. Now that I don't smoke any more I noticed how much you can really smell it. I think I can understand why most people prefer others to smoke out doors. Of course if you own your own place you can smoke wherever you want. It really all depends on the circumstance.
  17. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

We should all respect each other and i think it would be fair not to smoke in a room where everybody spend equal time. I do not smoke but my friends and family member that do smoke consider that i do not like tobacco and they smoke on the balcony or outside. I really do not mind if they smoked in their bedrooms but they do and that was one of my arguments which made them realize i was right. If it was ok, why don't you go and smoke in your bedroom? Well, it bothers me. We do not have any problems for years now.
  18. mayasupernova

As for respect yes there should always be some respect around, especially among the member of the family. Otherwise, it would just be chaotic, and no one would act for their own behaviour, or be bothered if something affects someone else in any way possible.
    It is a great thing nowadays when I hear that someone finds smoking repulsive, and do not smoke at all, since everywhere I look around, even though people say they have no money, there are smokers. Some institutions even create some special rooms for smokers, like they can't just go outside and smoke, but need to also feel comfortable while destroying their own bodies.
    Also, it is a great thing that you could find some understanding in your family with family members and that none of the problems whatsover occurred among you in your home, so far.
    djolem likes this.
  19. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I agree about those who complain they do not have money and still smoke. If i was to say how much a pack of cigarettes would cost, now the cheapest is around 2 Euros in Serbia, and they think it is too much, i would say something like 5 Euros. I would be dead in few days but people would have to stop smoking or to become hard workers. Anyway, i also agree it is great i had no problems with my friends and family on this issue. However, this is not, (i have to be honest) because they are open minded, it is because they know how crazy i am and that i will give them some kind of crazy ultimatum. I don't know, for example i would go totally naked as long as they smoked in the living room, even when we have some friend for dinner. :) This is maybe too much but you get the picture. I don't care if i get to the goal.
  20. AnDaughtery

AnDaughtery Member

I grew up in a divorced family so on my mothers side they would smoke indoors and I remember hating it! I couldn't take the smell and how it made my clothes stink when I would go around others I always felt they looked down on me. On my dads side they would smoke outside only and we rarely ever noticed they even smoked! so much better in my opinion and now with two little girls I rarely visit my mom because they smoke inside. It saddens me that she wont even attempt to change it in order to get to know her grandbabies. On the other hand my Step-mom is currently in the process of quitting after smoking most her life! I am very proud of her and happy that she made this decision on her own!! She has gone I believe about 2 months now cigarette free!!