An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking is out of fashion.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Do you think that smoking has become out of fashion? There was a time that you would see nearly all the stars in pictures, smoking cigarettes or cigars, but now you never see that.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

On the contrary, the number of smokers has doubled in my country. Our office building doesn't allow people to smoke on the fire exit stairways so most smokers puff their time away outside of the building, if not on the staircase leading to the pavement, on the streets where sidewalk vendors often sell their goods. Cigarette butts litter the streets and ìt's sad to see young people smoking so irresponsibly.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, people do smoke but I've noticed that it's primarily the older crowd. Millennials seem to be less partial to smoking, which is a positive sign. They're a lot more into tattoos, smartphones and social awareness. A lot of them are even going vegan, and they care more about what they consume.
  4. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I have been noticing it too, they used to promote cigarettes everywhere, now it seems to me that smoking marijuana is the new cool thing. Every movie I see now there's somebody smoking weed, almost every music video shows smoking marijuana and it's certainly gaining more acceptance. Out here smoking cigarettes is now seen as a nasty thing, not nearly as cool at it was back in the day. Just like @Damien Lee said, primarily the older crowd is into smoking right now, the youngster are more into marijuana, working out and other green activities.
  5. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It looks like smoking is out of fashion because we see less people smoking. However, cigarette sales and smoking related diseases have increased in my home country. Smoking laws have tightened, for instance, smoking in public places is banned, therefore, we see less people smoking.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The number of people who smoke cigarettes has dropped because many young people aren't interested in cigarettes. But they smoke weed. So though smoking it might appear that smoking is going out of fashion, it really isn't. Should recreational use of marijuana be legalized everywhere then you'll notice that there still are lots of people smoking something.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/298837.php
    For the first time, daily marijuana use has surpassed daily cigarette use among college students in the US, with around 1 in every 17 college students smoking the substance on a daily or near-daily basis - the highest rate since 1980.
  7. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

You don't see that anymore because people have become more self-aware and also because advertising smoking in the media is prohibited. But it didn't go "out of fashion". People still do it, and there are more and more teenagers who start smoking. It is still a great issue.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Definitely. I thought this was long gone, but actually I've noticed that many young people still see smoking as very cool. Yeah, I was among a lot young people recently... people ages 24 and down. It's sad, but smoking is still seen as something cool and part of being an adult. So silly if you ask me.