An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking Laws

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Dsspears, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Dsspears

Dsspears Member

I may be asking this question on an inappropriate site, if so, I apologize. I've been in smoking cessation within the VA system in Seattle. I smoke between 6-8 a day. Learned very valuable information. Certainly, my goal is to quit. So, here's my question, (I wasn't able to find any specific Washington State laws on this). I live in King County on a County owned property. Recently, the new property manager put up signs on the covered parking stalls indicating smoking was not permitted in these areas. In the winter time this is tough to navigate. I'm very respectful about my second hand smoke. This has caused a great deal of passive-aggressive behavior towards smokers even while smoking in designated areas. An almost, ' War on drugs', mentality. If I've learned anything it's shaming anyone for an addition can create the exact opposite behavior. Any help anyone can give me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Dsspears hello there. thanks for reaching out. glad you're trying to quit smoking. are you asking if you should smoke in the non-designated areas despite the new rules?

i wouldn't, but that's just me. i tend to become anxious if i go against rules, and that anxiety isn't worth it to me...

hope you can keep progressing toward that final QUIT!!!
  3. Dsspears

Dsspears Member

Thank you for your input. As I stated in my question, I wanted to know any specific WA State Law regarding posting no smoking signs on County owned property, specifically covered car ports located 25 ft from an entrance. If anyone out there knows an answer to my question I would appreciate it.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Dsspears oh, i misunderstood. i am not sure, but maybe someone else will chime in! :)
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dsspears... I really have no idea what the law is in Washington. I think your best bet would be to Google it, ask a lawyer, or check directly with the county. Sorry I can't be of more help. And congrats on cutting down on your smoking and wanting to eventually quit.

P.S. I did a quick Google search and found this with regards to Washington state law:

The Smoking in Public Places law also prohibits smoking within 25 feet of entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve enclosed areas where smoking is prohibited.

That's the best I can do to help answer your question.
    True concern and Dominica like this.