An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking on Children's Playgrounds

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by singingintherain, Aug 19, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Smoking in playgrounds was recently banned where I live. I think it's a great decision! It's not a good idea for any children to be around smoke, and it also reminds me of when I was a teenager and would hang around smoking in parks. We wouldn't have had anywhere else to hang around and do that at (without being caught by adults) so that would have reduced the amount we could do it.

What are others thoughts on this? Is this a law where you live?
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that it is a great news in there. In here there is already a policy or law that public smoking is prohibited. But sadly to say, it is not being implemented well and you can see a lot people smoking everywhere even while walking on overpass on sidewalks.
  3. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

I love that smoking in playgrounds was banned where you live! Maybe it is just me, but I absolutely hate it when someone smokes around a child. Do they not think about the hazards of second-hand smoking? If you smoke in a playground, you are hurting not only your own body but others as well. People should really be more considerate about where they do their smoking.
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Where I live, you are not supposed to smoke in public places since that may attract a fine of not less than$100. By smoking near children, you are simply influencing them to start smoking. We must avoid smoking near children.
  5. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I would love for this law to be passed in our country. I absolutely hate cigarette smokers smoking around my son or even children in general. If it is just me they are risking, I am okay with it. But as a parent, we aim to provide the best of everything for our children. I just wish smokers are considerate when children are around. Maybe walk the other way when they see children playing in the park.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

No, there isn't any law like this, although it should be. In my opinion, smoking should be banned in public areas, at concerts etc. I hate inhaling smoke and makes me feel irritated and sick. But people seem not to care at all about others.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It just became a law here on August 1st and I think it is a great idea. There is no reason why adults should be smoking around child in the first place. This is a place where child go to play and have fun. Adults shouldn't be ruining it for them by smoking there. It has also been banned at beaches, parks, etc. They are being very strict about enforcing it too which is great!
  8. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

So I assume that where you live... public smoking isn't prohibited? That's really bad! We shouldn't be punished for others' vices. They should smoke in their own property. Though illegalizing it in children playgrounds it's definitely a good first stepping stone. Hopefully more things will be done toward smoking!
  9. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It's legal to smoke on the street, but it's illegal to smoke in businesses/bars/restaurants etc. Taxi drivers aren't able to smoke in their vehicles either as that is their 'workplace'. I don't have a problem with people smoking in open air areas, especially as smoking itself is legal. In enclosed areas and places where there are lots of children I definitely think it is right to be banned.
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I agree smoking in open air is not posing a threat to anyone. If you aren't blowing smoke in a persons face or in a crowd elbow to elbow with other people. You should be about to step away from any people, and smoke in peace. I love businesses that still value smokers as customers, and have a smoking area for them.
  11. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I'm not sure about the law where I live, but I don't think it's allowed. There's no ashtrays but I see cigarette butts on the ground a lot. I hate that! Everyone that uses that playground to keep it clean. I think they should start fining people for littering. The benches have a plastic coating and people put cigarettes out on it leaving burn marks. They don't don't realize we're the ones who pay for that park.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Smoking in public should be made illegal everywhere. Since second hand smoke is just as bad as, if not worse than smoking the cigarette yourself, I think that banning public smoking everywhere would be a good move to protect not just children but also everyone else who is a non-smoker. Unfortunately though in my hometown there are very few smoke-free areas.
  13. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I actually think this is a good decision. There are many places where people are free to smoke, kid playgrounds shouldn't be one of them.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think that is a great idea. I think Hawaii will start a new law soon that will ban smoking in parks and playgrounds. It will also raise the smoking age to 21. So yeah, I'm all for it. Children shouldn't be subjecated to smoke from adults that don't care about how other people feel about the smoke.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I don't officially think it's been banned over here, especially not in public parks anyway, it's definitely frowned upon and its considered something that you just don't do.

Smoking is becoming banned more and more in public places, and if there's going to be children around then I'm all for that, and I'm a smoker.
  16. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Do people do that? Do people smoke on playgrounds? You know, as a smoker I face a lot of discrimination and dirty looks. Maybe if there weren't so many (pardon my language) assholes who do **** like this, it wouldn't be such an issue for me.
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I don't get what kind of terrible person would want to smoke at a playground anyways, regardless if their kid is playing there. I'm so glad that this is banned.
  18. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There's no such law in the UK yet but I would welcome its introduction. When I smoked, I'd always move away from any children who were around, even in public places. It looks like there are plenty of other considerate smokers here too and I do feel that those who don't step away from others (non-smokers) whilst smoking are particularly rude and make things harder for those who do make the effort.
  19. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I am so glad that this has been banned on playgrounds where you live. Children should not be exposed to cigarette smoke. They have no say in the matter but I am glad that someone is looking out for them. Some children have respiratory problems. My children are asthmatics and the smoke triggers attacks. I wish they would band this where I live.
  20. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Children can have so many health problems. It doesn't make sense to smoke around them when you don't know how your second hand smoking effects them and still their immune systems are still developing.