An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking on Children's Playgrounds

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by singingintherain, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

In my place, city ordinances banned cigarette smoking in public areas. This includes parks, playgrounds, public roads, public offices and mostly places where there are a lot of people. I was still a smoker when that was implemented and even way back then, I think it was a very good law because there are irresponsible smokers who would smoke around children and other non-smokers. Some would even litter, throwing their cigarette butts everywhere.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Do you think it reduced your smoking at all, or prompted you to think about quitting? I hope these measures are able to help in that department also. I was always quite embarrassed to be a smoker so I already looked for non-public smoking areas and would often go without if there was no other option. It was quite stressful though which definitely helped speed up my wish to quit!
  3. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

It did reduce my smoking. At times, when I'm in the city proper, I feel like I'm cornered into breaking the law or going without cigarettes. I of course chose going without cigarettes. Its the more logical choice anyway. I felt grumpy about it but still better than paying fines and penalties for getting caught. Eventually another law, increasing the tax on liquor and cigarettes came out thus increasing the price for both items. That is when my quitting started.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

@Emerson_B I know that grumpy feeling very well! In the end it does benefit us, but the nicotine withdrawal can be stressful. I really hate getting in trouble for anything so the thought of paying a fine deters me a lot. Good to hear that it had a positive outcome for you (and me!).
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

I think any measure taken regarding children's health is a good idea. What really annoys me are those smoke free bars. I mean, what the hell, are you going to make me go outside to smoke when I'm buying a whole bunch drinks from you? Well, you've just lost a very good customer, my friend.
  6. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Smoking on children's playground should be rated as other offensive crimes like stealing from a member of the public and other crimes of that sort. Adults should show good example to children but if it is them who are making matters worse then they should be penalized. There is a strict law in my country to that effect.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It is a law where I live, and I'm thankful for that. The last thing kids need is to be breathing in any second hand smoke when they're using a playground. Parents should know better anyway, and shouldn't be smoking on or around playgrounds anyway. If you're not doing it for yourself, at least do it for your kids and others children too!
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Unfortunately there isn't a law that is prohibiting this in my city, which is pretty sad when you think about it. Children shouldn't be exposed to the cigarette smoke, they should be able to play peacefully without being influenced by the adults who are irresponsible.
  9. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Smoking on playgrounds is banned where I live, and I'm all for it. I sympathize with smokes who are finding themselves restricted to fewer and fewer places to smoke, I really do, but whipping out cigarettes around children is a terrible idea. You have no idea what that smoke could be doing to them as they develop, both physically and mentally. There's also no telling - not by me, or probably anyone here, anyway - how many people your smoke might be affecting as it floats around. I've no clue how quickly smoke dissipates outdoors, but I bet it's not that quickly.
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is not a law where I live. I think children shouldn't be around smoke at playgrounds, adults should have there own section for that. You can't force any one to stop smoking but no smoking at the playground sounds reasonable. I mean any where you know there's going to be a bunch of kids playing should be a place to light up. I think there should be a section for smoking.
  11. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I think smoking around anybody that doesn't choose to be subjected to it is wrong. Any law that curbs this behavior has my support. Especially when it comes to children.